PDA

View Full Version : Problem with saved games. Am I missing something?

CRSutton
07-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Spent quite a few hours last night playing my first post patch patrol. I only have one career character. I had saved twice and gone back into and reopened the game with no problem. Then I got too ballsy in a convoy attack and met with my death. I reopened the game and loaded my last save befor dying-no problem, played for a few more hours, sucessfully attacked the convoy and went on to other great deeds. It was getting late and I saved and exited the game and went to bed. Loaded up the game today and there are no saved files listed, including my prior saves for my character and I have no choice but to start over again. What gives? Do I have a problem or am I missing something? Does dying prevent returning to the game and continuing? I was able to return once after dying and start at an earlier spot. What happened to all my saves after I went to bed last night? I did sucessfully save and got the confirmation.

By the way, each time I saved I gave my save a new name. Such as ******1, ******2, ******3 (I know, it is not the most creative name in the world http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif)

Now I got nothing. This has happened before but I have not played the game enough and just shrugged it off.

CRSutton
07-19-2005, 03:10 PM
No really, I need some help here.....

HeibgesU999
07-19-2005, 07:55 PM
I have heard of this but never,luckily, encountered it myself. Do the Saves still appear in your SH3 Folder in My Documents?

CRSutton
07-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Dunno, I will check this afternoon when I get home.

Abihco
07-20-2005, 09:29 AM
I ran into this bug a few nights ago. I was quite miffed, having racked up a fair amount of tonnage while traversing the English channel.

The saves were also missing from the "My Documents" folder. My career profile still existed, and I still had renown from completing the training missions. But I had no current career and had to begin again with a brand new first patrol.

The only thing I can chalk it up to is using "Save and Exit". I don't normally use this, and instead save my game and then exit as separate steps. I do recall using "Save and Exit" when logging off for the night a couple of days before trying to resume my career, as I was drinking, sinking ships, and then suddenly noticed it was 3:30 AM and had a panic attack thinking about getting up for work.

GT182
07-20-2005, 09:39 AM
I've been using "Save and Exit" right along with no problems. I do type in 2 separate names for the patrol I'm on tho. After I finish for the time I put in for that part or the patrol I'm running, I just select one and save.
When you want to save, type in, as an example, PTRL_DN16 for your first save. Second time type in PTR-DN16, just so it's different from the first. Save and each time after you'll have one to select. You'll have to do this for each patrol. Works fine.

Abihco
07-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Likewise, I use multiple save games (around 4 per patrol). The odd thing is that all the saves were gone. The saves folder was completely empty. I literally had no point at which to continue. This was also for a career spanning multiple patrols with at least 4 saves per patrol (footnote: I had a blast figuring out you really hose yourself if you try to clear out those old saves. I just love how everything after the save you delete goes with it. What a poor design decision to an overall great game. This is not related to the current problem, however).

The only thing I did differently was to use the "Save and Exit" function for the first time. This was also with no mods installed, on stock 1.4b.

CRSutton
07-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Hey guys, I got a fix for the problem, Apparently this has been a ongoing problem with some people and has not been fixed in any of the patches. You have not lost your saved files, but for some reason the game thinks your career is over and you need to edit the career.cfg.

Open windows explorer. Find the file: (my documents\SH3\data\cfg\Careers\MyPlayerName\Career s.cfg.

Open the career file for your player name by double clicking on it. It will open in notepad. Look for the lines "Finished=True" and Warover=True". If either of these are =True, change them to =false. Save the .cfg and then exit notepad. Reload the career and your files should be restored.

This worked for me and I am happily back into my career.