PDA

View Full Version : Warship behaviour during an attack.

Capt._Tenneal
04-12-2005, 08:20 AM
People have complained before that the ships in the game just placidly sail along on a straight path in the middle of an air attack (whether by bombs or torpedoes). I don't know if it has been suggested before, but a compromise solution, in lieu of giving ships their own AI code, would be to program set patterns of travel during an attack.

Just as there is some sort of "trigger" that tells ships when to open up with AA fire when attackers get close to a certain distance, maybe at a set distance too the ships will go on a defensive set of waypoints. Just a handful of patterns will do : zig-zag, circle, X, random then those can be combined too. It will make for more challenging and , somewhat, realistic air-to-ship battles.

Capt._Tenneal
04-12-2005, 08:20 AM
People have complained before that the ships in the game just placidly sail along on a straight path in the middle of an air attack (whether by bombs or torpedoes). I don't know if it has been suggested before, but a compromise solution, in lieu of giving ships their own AI code, would be to program set patterns of travel during an attack.

Just as there is some sort of "trigger" that tells ships when to open up with AA fire when attackers get close to a certain distance, maybe at a set distance too the ships will go on a defensive set of waypoints. Just a handful of patterns will do : zig-zag, circle, X, random then those can be combined too. It will make for more challenging and , somewhat, realistic air-to-ship battles.

LEXX_Luthor
04-12-2005, 10:36 AM
In FMB, we can use the 10km map coordinate intersections to place 45 degree zig~zap patterns for ships going due horizontal, verticle, or 45 degree angle on the map. Works pretty good. I think it can be gotten down smaller, try 5km intersection points or smaller...not as easy as the easy~to~see 10km grid lines though.