PDA

View Full Version : What does Polygonoffset do?

JG51Beolke
12-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Just curious............

heywooood
12-03-2004, 07:20 PM
yeah..uh that there just offsets yer uh..polygons and whatnot.

http://www.cheers.tvheaven.com/graphics/cliff.jpg

cheers

JG51Beolke
12-03-2004, 08:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heywooood:
yeah..uh that there just offsets yer uh..polygons and whatnot.

http://www.cheers.tvheaven.com/graphics/cliff.jpg

cheers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I get that from the name, but how does it affect PF?

Saburo_0
12-03-2004, 11:38 PM
Somone told me by increasing the polygon offset value I could get rid of the messed up textures on the B-24--if you have those ?

I wasn't surewhatkindof value would be necessary so left it alone for the time being.

Not much help i know, but just call this a Bump with a little extra. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Feathered_IV
12-04-2004, 03:40 AM
This line writes itself periodically onto my config file. The only thing it seems to do is put a series of 'spots' before my eyes so as I look around with the mouse, the smudgey spots move with me. Very annoying. I always exit the game, delete the line of text and then restart whenever it happens.

Now that I think about it, this first started happening when I experimented with activating the ships crew.

Czunik
12-04-2004, 03:58 AM
In manual there is line that this setting can solve problems with flickering airfileds. I guess it is used when one polygon should lie JUST ABOVE another. Like airfiled on grass. Depending on your Z-buffer depth (precission), when to coplanar polygons are too close, there can be problems in solving which polygon should be visible at the moment and you can see the grass throught the airfield for example. This is solved by shifting airfield a little up. And I think this is the meaning of this line, because this problem is common in many 3D applications and this is common way how to solve it.
On the other hand, it can have strange effects when used non-wisely. I can imagine that it is used in cocpit too on some gauges for example. So do only slight modifications and only when needed.

JG51Beolke
12-04-2004, 07:14 AM
Thanks everyone.

Best regards

Saburo_0
12-04-2004, 01:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Czunik:
In manual there is line that this setting can solve problems with flickering airfileds. I guess it is used when one polygon should lie JUST ABOVE another. Like airfiled on grass. Depending on your Z-buffer depth (precission), when to coplanar polygons are too close, there can be problems in solving which polygon should be visible at the moment and you can see the grass throught the airfield for example. This is solved by shifting airfield a little up. And I think this is the meaning of this line, because this problem is common in many 3D applications and this is common way how to solve it.
On the other hand, it can have strange effects when used non-wisely. I can imagine that it is used in cocpit too on some gauges for example. So do only slight modifications and only when needed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From my config ini:
VideoSetupId=4
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.15
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

Can you suggest how i might adjust these numbers to get rid of the B-24 problems?
I'll go look for a link to show you what I mean.