PDA

View Full Version : How to use Radar?

the_Wakeful
08-16-2006, 05:09 PM
So I just got the earliest radar for the first time (january 1942) and am in the middle of my first patrol with it. The radio officer is in place and he is set to continuous sweep with radar. I come across a c3 off the coast near Halifax but the radar never saw it. The ship was well within the 10 degree arc limit (straight off the bow) but I didn't know it was there until the watch crew spotted it. Any Help on how to get the radar to work properly? thanks.

hueywolf123
08-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Ohhh, be very carefull leaving your radar on, you might get some unwanted guests calling in. Use the radar sparingly, look at the aircover (on std map) and only use when out of these areas, no guarrantee, but a little safer.

the_Wakeful
08-16-2006, 05:23 PM
they have radar detection that early? that may explain why I got jumped by 12 planes as soon as I sunk that c3. I thought detectors didn't come around for a couple more months.

Anyway, any help on the original question?

the_Wakeful
08-16-2006, 06:28 PM
*bump* I plan on continuing this mission when I get off work and I would very much like to know the details of radar/detection.

tuddley3
08-16-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm only guessing at this, but do you have a Warrant Officer assigned to radio and sonar in the Radio Room. It might help to have a nice compliment of Warrant Officers manning those stations instead of the Seamen placed there automatically by the Game.

I usually keep the same Crewmen in the same stations patrol after patrol for experience purposes.

the_Wakeful
08-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Yes, I have a petty officer there with a qualification for radio/radar.

baggygreen
08-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Well mate, i avoid using the radar at all costs after several nasty run-ins with aircraft, and ships coming at me through heavy fog at full speed.

But, having said that the only thing i can really think of is perhaps he is tired?

Actually, i believe you also may need to actually turn in a circle to get the full effectiveness of the radar, for some reason my mind is thinking that the first model raday can only see 30 degrees off either bow, meaning a 60 degree coverage. If the target is outside that 60degree range, hat is to say unless they are directly in front of you, i believe you simply wont know its there!

tuddley3
08-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Duh!!! Your right, Petty Officer. Warrant Officer, dont know where that came from. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

lecek
08-16-2006, 09:29 PM
In the stock game your radar has only around 7.5 k range. In good weather your crew will spot a ship first. (PS it is 20 degrees of arc not 10)

In bad weather your radar should spot the ship first. (As long as the set doesn't get swamped.)

Keep in mind that for some strange reason radar echos are strongest when right at the max range of the radar. As you close to attack range the radar blip will slowly shrink and then finally disapear.

So if you are checking out your radar manually, make sure your display is set to the long range setting and then try to find the ship on radar when you expect it to be 6-7 km away.

The radar will shut down if it is swamped. So if the weather rough your radar might only function for a few seconds at a time. This makes manual searching a must.