PDA

View Full Version : New screenshots

Ian [Atrus]
01-13-2005, 12:18 PM
Noloben, what looks like Todelmer, and the infamous Node (which I suppose is part of the tunnel to the surface)... looks promising! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tweek
01-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Hi res versions of these images can be found here

DJC EoA Gallery (http://www.dnijazzclub.com/forum/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=sc&cat=42)

There is also a music sample here -> Laki Arena Sample (http://www.dnijazzclub.com/endo***es/media/music/laki_arena.mp3)

Tweek

hammett.au
01-13-2005, 11:42 PM
Im i the only one to notice the similarities in the myst 5 screen shots and uru?

several sections of the images looks to me as if it isnt pre-rendered such as the previous myst games, but more like the real time engine of uru! if you look at the riven dagger above (or below depending on how you look at things) the handle you can see some artifacts and looking at the grass/vegitation you can see they arent as detailed as what we have previously seen in myst games but more on par with uru's vegitation.

could this explain why the second expansion pack for uru was so poorly produced? it seems that the ages that we would have seen in live were held back and improved upon and reworked for what seems to be an new (or improved) game engine! we could follow the bahro from the cleft to dni and possibly re-visit those areas seen in uru (but unlikely).

if myst5 is set shortly after the original myst we might have to retake the steps of atrus, gehn and ti'anna to the cavern to release atrus from the room we find him in!

sure this is just speculation but its always fun to see what people can come up with.

IMForeman
01-14-2005, 12:15 AM
Well, it IS using a version of Uru's engine. It's not prerendered at all.

-IMF

oh-foon
01-14-2005, 12:19 AM
Do you think we may take part in (or witness) Atrus' restoration effort?

You know, like a game versiom of Book of D'Ni.

oh-foon
01-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Actually, scrap that idea. I would much prefer a new story.

Myth_dracon
01-14-2005, 03:18 AM
I actually think concluding that strand of the story would be nice, and the hints of Uru's storyline will probably connect Myst V to Uru quite nicely.

And certainly, there will have to be some villain or other. Maybe someone similar to A'gaeris? Or Veovis? And certainly Yeesha will be a protagonist, as I hope Atrus will be.

The screenies seem ok to me. Some of them, like that seashore one and the telescope/observatory one, look especially magnificent, though that dagger one had me worrying about graphics quality. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Coronagold
01-14-2005, 05:43 AM
When you're up & running around the dagger, the texture quality won't matter as much. Trust me. I was an early skeptic. I've tried it. That all just vanishes & you'll have a blast.

Achenar625
01-15-2005, 12:04 AM
As for the villain...
Since this is turning into a culmination of all things Myst...
Why not bring Gehn back like they did with Sirrus and Achenar?
(I have got to get revelation...)

Ni Cahlas the Young
01-18-2005, 12:34 PM
Isn't anyone else a bit worried about the whole Uru-type engine and all?
Direct 3d won't do the quality of the graphics much good. If I'd had a vote I'd say they should use prerendered stuff like they did in every previous Myst game. I play Myst games mostly because of the stunning graphics and although I like Uru, it doesn't even compare to games like Exile and Revelation. When they have finished the Myst storyline I don't mind if they give their next D'ni-based games a concept that's more like Uru or even something entirely different. I just hope Mysts 'grand finale' will do right to Cyans previous accomplishments.
But... I suppose I don't really get a vote in this, so I'm just going to sit back and let it happen. Besides... I've never been disappointed with a Myst game so far, so I've got good hopes that I won't be this time either. We'll see......

NadiaR
01-18-2005, 09:23 PM
I most perfectly agree with you Ni Cahlas the Young. Prerendered graphics are what make the Myst games immersive and down right gorgeous and I hope the "Grand Finale" follows that tradition of the Myst games. Now, that makes 2 votes! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ian [Atrus]
01-19-2005, 06:57 AM
I dunno... I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I preferred the graphics in Uru than those of Exile and Revelation. In a sense, their being less polished made them more real to me.

PreTenirgane
01-19-2005, 12:03 PM
I'd just like to point out that since Myst V is going to be for Mac as well, that means that the game engine cannot be the same as that of URU, since Cyan explained that they could not get a mac version of the physics engine. Myst V could still be "free roaming", but with a different engine.

IMForeman
01-19-2005, 02:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PreTenirgane:
I'd just like to point out that since Myst V is going to be for Mac as well, that means that the game engine cannot be the same as that of URU, since Cyan explained that they could not get a mac version of the physics engine. Myst V could still be "free roaming", but with a different engine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Myst V is using the same GRAPHICS engine, with a different PHYSICS engine. These are 2 different things.

-IMF

Takua-Kaita-600
01-19-2005, 06:02 PM
it DOES look pre-rendered. This makes me wonder. Hmmmmm. Another URU-like game would be fun...but i dont think it should be directly a myst game.

Coronagold
01-19-2005, 08:51 PM
They're nowhere near producing 3D graphics as closely photorealistic as rendered Riven pics. Well, they are closer, but they've still got a long way to go.

So just enjoy the cutting edge of 2005 graphics in the next Myst game.

Nebodin
01-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Did anybody else notice that on the Tomahna screenshot (http://www.dnijazzclub.com/forum/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=60) of the dagger by the pond, the drawing on the middle rock is not visible in the reflection of the rock.

Anyone have any comments on this? Graphics glitch or interesting feature? Surely one of the first screenshots of their game wouldn't contain a bug...?

IMForeman
01-27-2005, 11:07 PM
The plants don't seem to be reflecting either.

-IMF

ximo
01-29-2005, 02:36 AM
This reminds me of Er'cana, where the windmill reflection stays still even when the windmill is rotating... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Page_Of_Cups
01-29-2005, 04:06 AM
Ni Cahlas the Young - I too vote for the prerendered style like the other Myst games !
I wish they would finish the whole Myst stories with prerendered screens and make any other following URU - style based.

IMForeman
01-29-2005, 12:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Page_Of_Cups:
Ni Cahlas the Young - I too vote for the prerendered style like the other Myst games !
I wish they would finish the whole Myst stories with prerendered screens and make any other following URU - style based. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can vote all you like. It's too late, the game is realtime. Voting will not change a thing.

-IMF

CruzCoda
01-30-2005, 07:45 PM
I have to say, that playing Myst (series) in pre-rendered gave it a certain visceral feel that other engines have not touched yet. Save for perhaps the more resource heavy engines. But as technology becomes cheaper, and more powerful, that is also changing the way we play the games.

Uru, for all it's differences, showed us that Myst could be realized in Real-time 3D. Not only that, but it can begin to approach the same photo-realism that the standard 2D games gave us. If one thing is certain, it's that the move to 3D was inevitable, and that Uru was a trial run at pushing the envolope.

I personally, enjoyed Uru and still do, because it was 3D real-time. Because I could wander around the worlds at will and not have to follow a 'rail' around place. One thing that always bugged me about the other games, was that I wanted to explore the places that I could not.

Hopefully, Myst 5 will give us that chance to see what the pre-defined paths of earlier games would not.

hogarth...
01-31-2005, 02:07 AM
Different strokes...

I personally enjoyed the feeling of being IN the world(s) of Uru as I navigated my character around. Revelation is one of the best pre-rendered environmental games I've played, but it nevertheless has a restrictive, stop-and-go feel to it - you cannot RUN in Revelation, but you sure can in Uru. Combine the nearly total freedom of Uru's 3D environment with the stunning surround sound effects, and you have a solid, incredibly immersive, visceral experience that the other Myst games cannot match.

The level of detail is, of course, not the same as a pre-rendered game, but this is more than made up for by the freedom of movement and sense of space you feel. I was very excited to hear that Myst V will be another fully 3D adventure using the same game engine as Uru.

It seems evident that much of what we will see in Myst V was in fact originally planned for Uru Live, and I'm happy about that as well. I never wanted Uru to end, and this is an opportunity to experience a bit more of it; we'll walk a few of the Ages we should have seen there, maybe with enough clues to piece together how it all might have been, had fate not taken the turn it did.

Is it Fall yet?

Coronagold
01-31-2005, 04:51 AM
Actually, the real stunning part about Uru Live beta was the total amount of rendering going on. Most online games 'fog out' with distances. Uru rendered everything fully clear.

Ni Cahlas the Young
02-02-2005, 12:15 PM
I think it would already be a big improvement over Uru if there were no third person views. The ages looked real enough, (though not very detailed), but that avatar spoiled it all since it looked a lot less realistic. Also the Yeesha we saw projected in the cleft wasn't that real.
Maybe, in Myst 5, they can put real people in the 3d environment (like Atrus for example)
Not sure if it's possible, but it sure would be cool.

Cubase1
02-03-2005, 10:41 AM
I hope to god that EoA ends up looking better than those screenshots. I know this might cause a stir but in my personal opinion those graphics are bordering on outdated and downright dissapointing.

Moving the MYST series into Realtime is a HUGE step, considering that the series (apart from the Uru spinoff) was renowned for it's stunning pre-rendered beauty. In my opinion, if they are moving into realtime for M-V the Uru technology is not going to do the series any justice.

Also, this style of visuals are less expensive and less time consuming than modelling in 3dsmax, and I once again hope to god these factors were not the motivations for using realtime.

Unless they come up with a final product better than what the screenshots reveal, thay had better hope they have a **** good storyline, if not, I have to say that changing the ingredients will leave a sour taste in peoples mouths this time around!

-Cub. =o)

GadrenURU
02-03-2005, 10:51 AM
you think that Cyan chose to move into realtime because it would be easier to do? that's laughable to even think that.
Cyan moved into realtime because it's always been Rand Miller's dream to have freedom of movement and stuff like that in Myst.
realtime is not necessarily easier to do...talk with some of the designers sometime -- it requires a certain level of artistic talent to do more with fewer polygons...amount of render-time is not always directly proportional to the amount of beauty or quality in something. it's an insult to all at Cyan to think that they are being "lazy" or something.

the thing is: realtime is always going to look inferior to prerendered in static screenshots. the thing that makes realtime so much better is the freedom of movement; you can't get a decent appraisal of a realtime environment until you see it as it was meant to be seen - in realtime, with the character actually moving around and being immersed in the constantly changing world. people who have been skeptical of uru from screenshots have been amazed once they actually get to play the game the way it was meant to be seen...and they forget all about the "lower graphics quality"...

just be happy that Cyan is making another great Myst game...it's not the palette that matters, but the artist. just trust Cyan to do what they've always done, and don't go bashing it before you have any idea of what it's going to be like.

Alkonium
02-03-2005, 07:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GadrenURU:
you think that Cyan chose to move into realtime because it would be easier to do? that's laughable to even think that.
Cyan moved into realtime because it's always been Rand Miller's dream to have freedom of movement and stuff like that in Myst. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, I know, I'll get huge flaming for this, but, I'm starting to think that Rand should have left Cyan, not Robyn. Imagine how different Myst would be if that happenned.

GadrenURU
02-03-2005, 08:09 PM
O_o why?
i think that's rather insulting of you to say that... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

yes, Myst might have been different...
i don't see why some people are so determined to have the Myst series stay in a certain rut...each Myst game has radically changed and updated things, and it sounds to me as if you just want to relive the "glory days" of Riven...
some people place Riven on this unattanable pillar of perfection, and will never be satisfied if a game is not only as good as Riven, but is in the same format and style...

another thing to consider: according to Rand in the Complete Chronicles strategy guide, in the Making of Uru section, he says that Robyn just kind of left .... He wasn't as interested anymore in the interactive in particular."
Thus, if Robyn was the one in charge, and not Rand, then Riven would have gotten very stagnant. Robyn wasn't as interested in making games, it seems, nor in the whole system itself. So we'd be having Cyan led by someone who wasn't as interested in doing anything with Myst games, and that's not good news for the fans, to have an uninterested CEO.

GadrenURU
02-03-2005, 08:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GadrenURU:
O_o why?
i think that's rather insulting of you to say that... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

yes, Myst might have been different...but not necessarily for the better.
i don't see why some people are so determined to have the Myst series stay in a certain rut...each Myst game has radically changed and updated things, and it sounds to me as if you just want to relive the "glory days" of Riven...
some people place Riven on this unattanable pillar of perfection, and will never be satisfied if a game is not only as good as Riven, but is in the same format and style...

another thing to consider: according to Rand in the Complete Chronicles strategy guide, in the Making of Uru section, he says that Robyn just kind of left .... He wasn't as interested anymore in the interactive in particular."
Thus, if Robyn was the one in charge, and not Rand, then Riven would have gotten very stagnant. Robyn wasn't as interested in making games, it seems, nor in the whole system itself. So we'd be having Cyan led by someone who wasn't as interested in doing anything with Myst games, and that's not good news for the fans, to have an uninterested CEO. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMForeman
02-04-2005, 06:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cubase1:
Also, this style of visuals are less expensive and less time consuming than modelling in 3dsmax... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Ages of Uru, and the ones that will be in Myst V are modelled in Max, before being exported to the Plasma realitme engine, and if anything, making a realtime environment is more time consuming and difficult, as you have to model the whole Age as one contiguous environment, program physics and interactive objects, and keep the polycount low enough that it runs well, but high enough that it looks good. It's a much harder discipline in it's own way than prerendered.

-IMF

Cubase1
02-07-2005, 05:48 AM
GardenURU... you seem to be getting way too touchy about all of this.

Firstly, I said that I 'hoped' that these were not motivating factors (if heaven forbid, they were) for the transition into real-time for the 5th MYST. I did not bash them for doing it because I know these factors are not conclusive. Meaning, if they manage to pull it off without any compromise to the MYST atmosphere and aura (which has been portrayed traditionally through static images thus far), I could not be more thrilled!

IMForeman, from past experiences with similar titles, the whole scene is NOT modelled in Max... only the complex objects are. Terrain and simple architecture are modelled within the engine. However, this is going by what every other real-time game that I have had experience with is created... for the new Myst 5 engine, I could be wrong. But I am almost certain that they would not model the entire scenes with Max.

Also, ask yourself: it has been quoted MANY times in this forum that it is amazing how this game can be announced so soon and produced so quickly. So obviously it is easier and quicker and cheaper to produce than previous MYST titles. The engine has already been created (for URU originally) so they already have most of the tools and physics parameters at their disposal. Regardless of how much time went into the engine originally (for URU) this particular title must un-deniably be quicker and easier to produce because they already have the engines design blueprints layed out. Yes, time went into the engine originally, but you cannot deny the fact that this particular title is being created in a fraction of the time and cost than previous titles. Fingers crossed, this does not end up like most other games that follow the same pattern: produced a certain way becuase they can do it quickly and cheaply without having to devote too much time into it.

I do trust them to make a good MYST game, they have never made a bad one. I am just saying, lets hope the fact that this game is being produced in such a little time frame and on already solidified technology does not fall into the trap of compromising the MYST beauty.

-Cub. =o)

GadrenURU
02-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Cubase1, you're right...i am getting too worked up about this. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

well, anyway, i trust Cyan to do their best (like they always have done)... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

IMForeman
02-07-2005, 03:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cubase1:
IMForeman, from past experiences with similar titles, the whole scene is NOT modelled in Max... only the complex objects are. Terrain and simple architecture are modelled within the engine. However, this is going by what every other real-time game that I have had experience with is created... for the new Myst 5 engine, I could be wrong. But I am almost certain that they would not model the entire scenes with Max.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe you are wrong in this instance. The whole Ages seem to be modelled in Max from what I've seen of the dev tools in action. Every last bit. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-IMF

Mowog
02-08-2005, 09:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ...but you cannot deny the fact that this particular title is being created in a fraction of the time and cost than previous titles. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Perhaps this is another benefit of realtime 3D... Pre-rendered products require a great deal of time to do that pre-rendering, as I understand it. (And I'm no expert.) Also a cluster of high-end hardware to do all that rendering, which adds to costs.

Cubase1
02-13-2005, 06:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I believe you are wrong in this instance. The whole Ages seem to be modelled in Max from what I've seen of the dev tools in action. Every last bit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well if you have seen it with your own eyes, there is nothing more I can say on the issue then is there. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It would be the first time I have hard of something being totally and uterrly pre-modelled before compilation... but then again, Cyan was always innovative. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Mowog... exactly, it is a benefit, lets hope for the right reasons.

-Cub. =o)

Wlassakbro
02-20-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm so excited! I just heard about this a few hours ago.

Anyway, I'm hoping that if the game is in Realtime 3D, They do NOT make people in 3D. The Avatar and Yeesha models in Uru really took away from the feeling of the game, IMO. I think if they can, they should still have real people in the game like Myst 1,2,3, and 4.

Another thing I really don't want is 3rd Person view. With the way things are looking, I'd rather have a game like RealMyst than Uru. I don't want to stare at an ugly character model...

Well, that's just my hopes for this game. I do trust Cyan to do a wonderful job. They always do. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mowog
02-22-2005, 09:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Anyway, I'm hoping that if the game is in Realtime 3D, They do NOT make people in 3D. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This is actually an interesting question. If Myst V is just single-player, will there even be a need for other avatars to appear? They were essential in Uru, since the multi-player concept requires individual avatars. My own impression was that the Uru avvies were amazingly realistic in some regards (like facial details when seen up close), while appearing synthetic in others (the shoulder articulation was always a bit peculiar). Oddly, the player avvies were more realistic (to me anyway) than Yeesha's.

Anyway, if Myst V is only single-player, it makes you wonder if Cyan will settle for the classic first-person view and dispense with avvies of any kind... or if they will capitalize on all the work they did on avvie design and retain at least a customizable player avatar.

Time will tell...

ximo
02-25-2005, 07:31 AM
I hope there is a 3rd person option in Myst 5. It really helped me enjoy Uru... I can say I feel more immersed in 3rd person than in first; perhaps because it adds something to the "reality" and deepness of the environment.

Mysthints
02-26-2005, 07:33 AM
I hope there's a 3rd person option too. I have a feeling they might include it just for the "more cinematic" affect they said it had in Uru.

Coronagold
02-26-2005, 05:11 PM
The option for both like in URU would be nice. But then we would see the 19th century stranger, and I don't think that's very Mystish...unless we could dress ourselves up in 19th century garb.

GadrenURU
02-26-2005, 05:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coronagold:
The option for both like in URU would be nice. But then we would see the 19th century stranger, and I don't think that's very Mystish...unless we could dress ourselves up in 19th century garb. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

true...IF, and only if, Myst V takes place during that time period. all i've seen points towards a post-Uru setting.

Mowog
02-27-2005, 07:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I hope there is a 3rd person option in Myst 5. It really helped me enjoy Uru... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I remember reading some comments from one of Cyan's people early in the Uru adventure. They made it clear that you could choose either first or third person, but recommended that players at least give third person a try, as it would really enhance the experience, in their opinion. Third person was something of a new thing for Cyan, and you could tell they were enthused about it. I thought it was pretty cool myself, but found that I switched back and forth every now and then as needed. I still do when playing "Until Uru."