PDA

View Full Version : RE: Cutscenes

Orb917
12-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Dear Ubisoft,
Recently, I was faced with the decision of purchasing either Assassin's Creed 2 or Uncharted 2. I played Assassin's Creed all the way through, and greatly enjoyed every aspect of it... Until I tried to replay some of the missions. Unskippable cut scenes hosed any idea of replay value for me. It would be one thing if they were not interactive, not forcing you to actually move your character to progress the cut scene forward. But as it is set up that way, you could not even walk away and let the cut scene play out and come back later to actually play the game. I understand that you are proud of your story, and want people to experience it, but forcing gamers to deal with something they may not be interested when all they want is a bit of the fantastic gameplay you created, is highly frustrating to the gamer. So, when I was faced with the decision between these two much praised games, I searched the internet to see if the cut scenes this time around were skippable. Unfortunately, they are not, and I am thus not going to purchase it at present time. Instead I shall be purchasing Uncharted 2, which is a shame, because I absolutely loved the gameplay in Assassin's Creed and am sure it has been much improved in Assassin's Creed 2. Please rethink this design choice in the future, and let people appreciate the fine game you have made as they choose to, instead of how you force them to.
respectfully
orb917

shawnm82
12-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Well Luckily for you you cannot even replay missions in AC2 so, not only can you skip the entire cut scene, you can skip the entire mission altogether!!! Isnt that awesome?!

the amolang
12-23-2009, 04:05 AM
oh come on. seriously. the cutscenes are SO much shorter than the ones in ac1, and even compared to other games. they are all less than a minute, even some of the longest ones.

Hurri211
12-23-2009, 04:21 AM
And some are interactive, and actually let YOU decide what happens in them.

itsamea-mario
12-23-2009, 06:38 AM
how about JUST WATCH THE CUTSCENES then theres no need to come asking why somebody does something because your to impatient to watch a few seconds of something that could be interesting.

the amolang
12-23-2009, 08:01 AM
I have to say that I was even slightly dissapointed with how short the sequences were after assassinating someone...

thekyle0
12-23-2009, 08:05 AM
You don't have to interact with the cutscenes. All that happens is that Ezio gets a little humiliated when you don't press the buttons. They have absolutely no attatchment to the gameplay.

Abeonis
12-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by amolang:
I have to say that I was even slightly dissapointed with how short the sequences were after assassinating someone...

Slightly!? After I killed Umberto I was expecting a miniture speech about why he did what he did. What did I get? Sod all... was not happy.

I only found out after completing the game that apparently some people had been unhappy with the length of the deah-scenes in AC1, which were actually crucial to the story. Also, I preferred the interactive cutscenes from AC1, especially the glitches... was well disappointed when I kept pressing 'X' on my controller when the video shifted slightly and nothing happened.

thekyle0
12-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Abeonis:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amolang:
Slightly!? After I killed Umberto I was expecting a miniture speech about why he did what he did. What did I get? Sod all... was not happy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Read the letter that you get from him. I think it's one he wrote to his wife to justify why he double-crossed Giovanni.

ToKillInPeace
12-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by amolang:
oh come on. seriously. the cutscenes are SO much shorter than the ones in ac1, and even compared to other games. they are all less than a minute, even some of the longest ones.

I think it's not the length of the cutscenes so much as how they are placed.

It's not like in AC1 where you do all this stealth and fighting and when you finally get to the climax and meet the guy and kill him, you get this moderately long cut scene, but it's worth it.

In AC2, there is no set "climax", since the mission structure varies so much, so to some players it may seem like the action is suddenly interrupted by they cut scenes.

Either that, or they care nothing for story and are impatient; they just wanna kill things for the sake of it being cool :P

Just a theory though.

And yes, I for one definitely liked the ending cut scenes whenever you asassinated a target, the speeches were really good and insightful.

I don't like how they transferred the portrayal of information from cut scenes into these database entries and letters.

Sure it's easier that way, but it's also optional, meaning players could be left out on something they may have wanted to know.

Orb917
12-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Perhaps I should clarify. My primary gripe with AC was the cut scenes in between the missions, not the post assassination ones. Either way, my point in this whole thing is that there is really no reason to keep people from being able to skip the cut scenes if they are just looking to enjoy the game play and not the story. Different people enjoy different aspects of these games, and forcing people to deal with something they are not going to enjoy is frustrating and a bad design decision imo. I would rather spend my money on a game that is not going to force me to deal with something I find frustrating.

Orb917
12-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by itsamea-mario:
how about JUST WATCH THE CUTSCENES then theres no need to come asking why somebody does something because your to impatient to watch a few seconds of something that could be interesting.

I am unsure you read my initial post. I was fine with watching the cut scenes once. I am not fine with being forced to watch them the second time through when I already know the storyline. It kills the replay value for me because it's a waste of time to sit through and is frustrating. Thus I am not going to spend money on a game that will end up getting only one play through. Furthermore, I am not asking anyone anything here, so I really have no idea how you came up with that...