PDA

View Full Version : P-63 another plane to remember

Snuffly
08-11-2005, 11:45 PM
http://www.flygplan.info/images/Bell%20P-63%20Kingcobra.jpg

This plane, was good, I'm flying it online a lot, its got 2 .50's not real good, but put two extra gunpods on it and it's got some decent firepower. Still 2 .50's and a cannon r more then I could ask for.

It's fast!, Can sometimes outrun a la-7 thank god! Turns good too, especially with flaps, I cant find any drawbacks expcept the visibility, It seems like its got a bit of torque too but thats easy to live with.

Yes it dose stall unpredictaly, but thats basically the only obstical to overcome, I don't see y noone flies it.

Anybody know a little more then me about this plane?

btw good ground attack too.

VFA-25_Peckens
08-12-2005, 01:03 AM
those gunpods slow u down and reduce alot of your manuverability plus u dont need the mgs on the wings u have a 37mm cannon!

Badsight.
08-12-2005, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Snuffly:
It's fast!, Can sometimes outrun a la-7 thank god! Turns good too, especially with flaps, . . . . . . I don't see y noone flies it. its like the 3 or 4th fastest plane in FB on the deck - i dont think its faster than the La-7 at any alt . you said it can turn hard tight circles & its true , just the stall needs carefull control

it doesnt get used much because of armament

the 2 fiftys do little & the cannon is hard to hit with repeatedly

if the plane had a 20mm in the nose , useage of the P-63 would soar 1000%

so would the threads discussing its DM - which is bogus

msalama
08-12-2005, 03:29 AM
Call me an old weirdo or what-the-hey-ever, but I just love them Cobras, P-63 included. A good way to kill an evening - and yourself too if you're not careful! - is to set up a mission of 4 or more Ju-88s / He-111s as adversaries & 1 Cobra of your liking for yerself. Then try to take all the bombers down: it's pretty much an even match because those MGs aren't ├╝ber at all & the 37mm. is a hard cannon to use! Plus the fact that yer ride is a torch & that harsh stall too... gotta love it, because nothing good *ever* comes easily http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And the looks of the bird - soooo sleek and futuristic! I mean, be my guest & call it all mis-behaving b**tards on Earth if U want to, but it's _still_ one of the best-looking planes EVER. Be sure!

so would the threads discussing its DM - which is bogus

You don't say... how?

Badsight.
08-12-2005, 04:18 AM
from the motor that wont die to the airframe that wont bust apart , end to end its a Panzer Tank

the single reason it isnt pointed out more is the low useage of the P-63 , if peeps were killed more often by them & flew them more - the truth would be getting pointed out

for example the invisible wing got changed , but plucking them off is still a miracle when it happens

if it had a 20mm in the nose instead , it nearly would be my main ride , the thing can nearly match Hayates in E-fighting

Atomic_Marten
08-12-2005, 04:32 AM
Badsight you are right.If they have installed 20mm in nose that would be one of the most popular planes all around.

Gunnery is very very hard on P-63. In fact I have been hit from what I can remember, only once with P-63s cannon online.

Several other times when I get shot down by King is due to .50s only.

msalama
08-12-2005, 04:56 AM
Could be Badsight, but it nevertheless burns up pretty easily & explodes too if you happen to hit the wing fuel tank just right...

ryankm
08-12-2005, 06:17 AM
P-63 is my favorite plane I always fly it. I just love all the cobra's!! I fly it because of the 37mm cannon. That can take any bomber down with enough shots. You should keep the 37mm cannon and add a 20mm cannon instead of the two 50 cals and then the gunpods on the side if you want them or not. Personally the 50 cals never done anything for me all the kills have been with the 37 mm cannon.

WOLFMondo
08-12-2005, 06:39 AM
I like the P39N's armament, 6 .50's and 1 37mm. Start out and disable with the .50's and then finish of with the 37mm. Really nice combination of weapons there.

Kocur_
08-12-2005, 09:07 AM
I like the P39N's armament, 6 .50's and 1 37mm. Start out and disable with the .50's and then finish of with the 37mm. Really nice combination of weapons there.

khem...its 1 x 37mm, 2 x .50, 4 x .30...khem

P-63 was a very good fighter, especially since C-5 with water injection in that Allison delivering 1800ps. It also had laminar flow wings. Reason not to use it by USAAF was short range, so not one Kingcobra was used in combat by USAAF. Soviets seemed to like 37mm, so it was mounted. I think that if USAAF was interested in P-63 it would get Hispano. IMHO 37mm cannon is greatest drawback of Kingcobra in game, a reason that its not popular.

Tater-SW-
08-12-2005, 09:13 AM
Wanna buy a P-63 "project?" Only $495,000.

http://courtesyaircraft.com/P-63.htm

tater

msalama
08-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Think I'll pass, thank you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

msalama
08-12-2005, 09:25 AM
...but how about kittying up some $$$ & buying one straight from the Russians? Would be cheaper too...

msalama
08-12-2005, 10:32 PM
BUMP! Where did you all go?

No but seriously, does anyone know whether there still are any surviving VVS Cobras out there in Russia nowadays?

Joilet_Xray
08-13-2005, 08:52 AM
~S!

Snuffy if you don't have it, Francis Dean's Americas 100,000 is an excellant source on this aircraft and other US birds, very technical, and filled with pilot reports and hard data.