PDA

View Full Version : Seawolves Expansion Pack - Now released, A question...

Realjambo
03-04-2006, 03:45 AM
Forgive me if I have missed the obvious, but I read that Seawolves: Submarines On Hunt for SH3 was released yesterday, 3rd March.

It looks pretty impressive BUT! is this what people on this forum say not to buy becasue it's just a load of Mods that I could download for free anyway?

http://www.gmxmedia.net/seawolves/

Is this the same expansion pack??

http://www.combatplanes.ca/seawolves-med.htm

AO1_AW_SW_USN
03-04-2006, 04:23 AM
It's an unofficial expansion for SH3 made by GMX Media. Sounds fishy if you ask me.

Who's going to buy it and test it for all of us in this forum?

Realjambo
03-04-2006, 05:11 AM
mmm! Tempting! "Oh I HAD to buy it dearest wife, just to play test it for the forum"

TheRealWulfmann
03-04-2006, 07:42 AM
It is the Seawolves ("offically authorized by UBI") expansion package.
While much of it is original and it also has mods authorized by the mod makers on it I prefer the free mods to this package but I do mods and that is part of the enjoyment to me.
For someone that does not do or is not comfortable adding different mods, this package expands SH3 and may suit them.
The next add on from X-1; Seawolves Mediterranean, adds dozens of new ships new operational ports, sounds etc etc and will be worth buying even for the hard core modder because those ships will not be available anywhere else.
Of, course, we will then mod that!
Wulfmann

AO1_AW_SW_USN
03-04-2006, 06:26 PM
It's now official? The websites that I've read claims that it's an unofficial expansion.

It doesn€t matter to me, really. I'll wait for forum feedback before I decide to purchase it.

(at Realjambo) That's why I asked "who's going to buy it and test it for all of us in this forum". Long gone are the days of me being disappointed over the quality of a game or it's expansion packs. I look into forums and various gaming websites for reviews and feedback.

Realjambo
03-04-2006, 06:38 PM
I'd buy it if I could find a retailer! grr. I'm in the UK, and so far web searches have drawn a blank - perhaps it's too soon after released date and the retailers have yet to update their on line shops. Dunno.

AO1_AW_SW_USN
03-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Realjambo:
I'd buy it if I could find a retailer! grr. I'm in the UK, and so far web searches have drawn a blank - perhaps it's too soon after released date and the retailers have yet to update their on line shops. Dunno.

I've been reading about the two Seawolves expansion packs in the Subsim forums. Some say that all of the material was "borrowed/stolen" from the modding community. Other people are saying that it's legitimate software that used the same modding techniques by the SH3 community.

I'll sit and watch the forums as see if X-1 is trying to bank on the work of others. If not, I'll at least look into their Mediterranean expansion pack, mainly because of the new ship types. Time will tell, right?

DSD
03-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Realjambo:

WWW.play.com (http://WWW.play.com) have sold it for ages 17.99

Kaleun1961
03-04-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm surprised an X1 undercover agent hasn't been here, spamming and posing as a regular forum member. Remember our friend, Larry Penner?

Carotio
03-05-2006, 04:36 AM
Well, you could also read this thread:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/5301013814

And tell me, if it's me, who am totally wrong about the issue...

Realjambo
03-05-2006, 04:55 AM
Oh boy now I am getting confused! Are there TWO, somewhat controversial, Mods availiable to purchase now? as in Seawolves Submarines On Hunt and Seawolves Mediterannean? or are we talking about the same product?

I'm not that good at the technical aspect of installing mods, some just don't seem to work for me so I'm prepared to purchase this.

PS Thanks Carotio for the link. Interesting reading!

Goosen83
03-05-2006, 05:19 AM
There are two "add-ons". One is just Seawolves and is probably available for purchase. But it is only the same mods that you can download for free various places on the web. The mediteranean thingy is under development and is centered around: surprise! the med!. Probably a bunch of otherwise free mods again and then some new ships as well.

The Avon Lady
03-05-2006, 06:02 AM
Do NOT confuse GMX's Seawolves, a big pile of nothing special mods and config changes, with Sub Wolves (http://www.subwolves.com/), a terrific looking private effort to introduce a strategy-based version of SH3.

nstutt
03-05-2006, 06:05 AM
Seavolves Submarines on Hunt is a generic mod that improves the Sh3 game in various areas as well as adding some Pacific missions.

Seawolves Mediterranean adds loads more detail specifically to Med and Black Sea area includeing a Med-centred campaign.

Both look very interesting to me but I will read the reviews before I buy. The UK version of both have not been released yet but I believe Seawolves SOH has been released to certain European countries.

JU88
03-05-2006, 06:44 AM
Seawolves was pile of c**p, this new Mediterranean addon looks like a better effort, with tones of new ships and features, however, by looking at the site i would also guess it contains IUB, improved smoke mod, and some others, hmmm.