PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty Modes - continued

Eponym
11-20-2007, 11:42 AM
About two months ago, before the game released, I dropped this little post off in the forums. Of course, most people didn't take my warning seriously:

I implore you to add a 'hard mode' that makes enemies a force to be reckoned with rather than goons whom just encircle you and patiently wait their turn to get stabbed in the mouth. For me, this is a huge deal, and determines whether or not the game can hold my attention for any period of time, regardless of how innovative it's other facets may be. Unlockable difficulties would also add much in the way of replay value.

I know I am not alone in this, though the responses to this post most likely won't reflect that.

And if your response is something to the effect of "Well, we're not that kind of game." Well, neither was Shadow of the Colossus, but they added an unlockable hard mode, which kept the game some significant replay value once you'd already beaten it.

Also, much of your game has been geared around stealth, evasion, and escape. Imagine how much it's going to suck when one of those review sites points out that "While there are many options for evading and sneaking past your enemies, most swarms of enemies pose little threat and can be easily dispatched, making the time it takes to circumvent them feel unnecessary." Don't be that game.

At VERY least have a mode that lets you play with a much more realistic health bar, so that only a few sword cuts or arrows is enough to bring you down.

Please don't overlook the importance of this issue.

Well, it is now my distinguished pleasure to point out: I told you so.

And where's that b-busher ******? Yeah, you, moron. DURRRHRHRHRRHRH I know the game was done when I made that post, you reject, but adding an option to increase the enemy's damage is not a complicated procedure. It's a few lines of code. They also could have put together a PATCH, a novel idea I know.

At any rate, I told you all that **** would come up in the reviews, and it did. Imagine that. But no, don't take your customers seriously. They're only the ones buying your games and all.

Eponym
11-20-2007, 11:42 AM
About two months ago, before the game released, I dropped this little post off in the forums. Of course, most people didn't take my warning seriously:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I implore you to add a 'hard mode' that makes enemies a force to be reckoned with rather than goons whom just encircle you and patiently wait their turn to get stabbed in the mouth. For me, this is a huge deal, and determines whether or not the game can hold my attention for any period of time, regardless of how innovative it's other facets may be. Unlockable difficulties would also add much in the way of replay value.

I know I am not alone in this, though the responses to this post most likely won't reflect that.

And if your response is something to the effect of "Well, we're not that kind of game." Well, neither was Shadow of the Colossus, but they added an unlockable hard mode, which kept the game some significant replay value once you'd already beaten it.

Also, much of your game has been geared around stealth, evasion, and escape. Imagine how much it's going to suck when one of those review sites points out that "While there are many options for evading and sneaking past your enemies, most swarms of enemies pose little threat and can be easily dispatched, making the time it takes to circumvent them feel unnecessary." Don't be that game.

At VERY least have a mode that lets you play with a much more realistic health bar, so that only a few sword cuts or arrows is enough to bring you down.

Please don't overlook the importance of this issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it is now my distinguished pleasure to point out: I told you so.

And where's that b-busher ******? Yeah, you, moron. DURRRHRHRHRRHRH I know the game was done when I made that post, you reject, but adding an option to increase the enemy's damage is not a complicated procedure. It's a few lines of code. They also could have put together a PATCH, a novel idea I know.

At any rate, I told you all that **** would come up in the reviews, and it did. Imagine that. But no, don't take your customers seriously. They're only the ones buying your games and all.

chickmgnt222
11-20-2007, 11:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eponym:
Well, it is now my distinguished pleasure to point out: I told you so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know what the difference between one's anus and someone that says 'I told you so'? Nothing.

I've said it in other threads and I will say it again: The guards attack me at the same time and in my back all the time. I have even had them hit each other a few times. I really don't know what many are talking about.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And where's that b-busher ******? Yeah, you, moron. DURRRHRHRHRRHRH I know the game was done when I made that post, you reject, but adding an option to increase the enemy's damage is not a complicated procedure. It's a few lines of code. They also could have put together a PATCH, a novel idea I know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, the damage dealt is still a bit too low, but it would have cost them more money to stop the printing than to just leave it be and maybe do a patch later. They could be working on one now that fixes a ton of things rather than just spit out 50 million small ones within hours of each other.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">At any rate, I told you all that **** would come up in the reviews, and it did. Imagine that. But no, don't take your customers seriously. They're only the ones buying your games and all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BAHAHAHAHA! I love it when people think that game companies truly care* about their customers. They care about the majority, not the minority. As it looks, the majority are happy with the game.

-EDIT-

*truly care meaning they listen to every little thing and try to make everyone happy

Crayfishy123
11-20-2007, 11:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chickmgnt222:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eponym:
Well, it is now my distinguished pleasure to point out: I told you so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know what the difference between one's anus and someone that says 'I told you so'? Nothing.

I've said it in other threads and I will say it again: The guards attack me at the same time and in my back all the time. I have even had them hit each other a few times. I really don't know what many are talking about.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And where's that b-busher ******? Yeah, you, moron. DURRRHRHRHRRHRH I know the game was done when I made that post, you reject, but adding an option to increase the enemy's damage is not a complicated procedure. It's a few lines of code. They also could have put together a PATCH, a novel idea I know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, the damage dealt is still a bit too low, but it would have cost them more money to stop the printing than to just leave it be and maybe do a patch later. They could be working on one now that fixes a ton of things rather than just spit out 50 million small ones within hours of each other.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">At any rate, I told you all that **** would come up in the reviews, and it did. Imagine that. But no, don't take your customers seriously. They're only the ones buying your games and all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BAHAHAHAHA! I love it when people think that game companies truly care* about their customers. They care about the majority, not the minority. As it looks, the majority are happy with the game.

-EDIT-

*truly care meaning they listen to every little thing and try to make everyone happy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Eponym
11-21-2007, 01:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> BAHAHAHAHA! I love it when people think that game companies truly care* about their customers. They care about the majority, not the minority. As it looks, the majority are happy with the game.

-EDIT-

*truly care meaning they listen to every little thing and try to make everyone happy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say that when almost every major review and video review out there mentions the combat being ******edly easy, that qualifies as a majority, not a minority.

And I'm not talking about the 'nay-sayers' who gave the game a 7.1 or whatever, I'm talking about the big boys like gametrailers and IGN, who gave AC soaring reviews but still had loud gripes about the combat.

Also, by minority, you're refering to 'gamers who give a ****'. It's easy to keep the majority happy, because the majority are casual gamers, who spend most of their gaming time on Madden or Tekken, usually while distracted by company, substances, or both. A game with Assassin's Creed level of presentation will obviously blow that sort of audience out of the water. Those kinds of people aren't worried about the game being too easy, they don't even think about that sort of ****.

But I guarantee you, anyone who actually gives a **** about this game, and by that I mean is truly interested in the gaming experience it will offer them, shares these concerns. Even you admitted that the damage is too low. A simple damage slider (as mentioned in another post by fulukai), or a hard mode, would fix this. It certainly won't ruin the game for the casual audience, and it will keep the more involved gamers happy too.

I happen to think that the A.I. is fine. It looked terrible in the previews, but after spending a few nights on the game and getting a feel for the combat, I'm not concerned about the enemies actions, only the math (damage) resulting from it.

The patch is a no brainer. And if they ARE working on it, they should say so. I would say there's more than enough light shining on the issue to bring it to their attention.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> You know what the difference between one's anus and someone that says 'I told you so'? Nothing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about you, but I try to avoid these types of conversations with anyone's anus.

AirRon_2K7
11-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Who cares about what you think? I know I don't. Anyone?

Seragath
11-21-2007, 01:41 PM
the only thing i think is a little annoying is that you have too much health, its impossible to die xD...but beside from that everything is perfect!! ^^

unnamedninja
11-21-2007, 01:56 PM
The combat is stupidly easy. Saying otherwise is just fanboyism. The chases which were exhilarating at first also become extremely boring because all you need to do is sprint and let the guards fall behind, and then sit on a bench. Remember when we watched all those movies on youtube and gametrailers of the chases and escapes? Well i'm pretty sure escapes would be that interesting, but they made it so that people jump out of your way at the last minute if you're running full pelt. I guess this was to ease the frustration of continually bumping into people. Imo they should have left it alone to keep the difficulty intact.

And what's this, who cares about it? it's game breaking, far more game breaking than any freezes or screen tearing will ever be. But what can you say to board regulars who have set themselves up as minimods and thought police.

Wildeyedjokr
11-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Ok, here's my opinion on the subject if anyone seems to care.
IGN and them, are just stating their opinion...Since when do you decide not to get something because you read something online? Alot of places only say something sucks because it doesnt meet their standards, I can't remember where but I remember seeing that halo 3 got a really bad rating. OH YEAH! and STILL everyone loves it, except for sony and nintendo freaks. (not to all of the people who like it, just the type that sit there complaining about console wars) If you believe everything you read online, ok heres something.
You Fail at life,
You will kill yourself within the next 3 years.
You live in your mother's basement.

You read that online didn't you? But my guess is that none of those things are ever going to come true. To conclude that randomness... Don't believe everything you read. Also the fighting system is just fine. Hell, no matter how good you are at the game, you're going to die atleast once.

fulukai
11-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Look, some of you are missing the point here. Forget about the varying critics reviews for the time being. What Eponym, unnamedninja and many others (incl me) are lamenting here is the rather obvious fact that one way most games *try* to appease a broad range of gamers (casual - hardcore) is to have varying difficulty levels. I mean that's common sense. I'm not asking for more missions or more variety in side-quests, or whatever else.

What surprises me is how and why such an obvious facet was left out of the game to begin with. I've heard all kinds of stupid excuses being doled out such as "how can you have difficulty settings in a sandbox game" (what?!) or the even more dumber argument of "realism has only one difficulty" (LOL)..Please. stop with that nonsense.

Going back to a point I made in a separate post about damage control sliders -- someone please convince me why having difficulty sliders (just for damage) in the game is hard to implement, or how in some way, it makes the game worse or attracts less gamers?!

EDIT: I do want to stress however that I still love this game and think its very enjoyable. I certainly dont think that excluding difficulty levels is a game breaker, since AC has so many other things going for it. It just saddens me that its missing this one thing which would not only make it more challenging but increase replayability tremendously.

Gavrael2007
11-21-2007, 03:36 PM
I did find it odd that there was no 'easy, medium, hard' setting in the options menu as, like has been said so many times, this is pretty much standard for any game.

It's not hard to implement either, at least during development.

In any case, I think it should have been there. Now that I've beaten the game, do I think a difficulty mode would have made the game more enjoyable...no...not really. More challenging maybe, but not anymore fun. That's just my opinion though.