PDA

View Full Version : maintaining airspeed

tandy45
07-08-2008, 10:11 AM
After making my first kill in both a qm and the raf campain latter of which i was shot down shortly after that, i have noticed during manouvers and fighting i am unable to maintain a constand airspeed no matter what i try. Im gentle both on the stick and the throttle but still unable to go above 200mp and give chase.i have tried to split s and keeping my nose down during a fight but still don't have the means necassary to contine at a steady pace, how can i change this.

mmitch10
07-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Try trimming your plane. That should reduce any loss in airspeed that you would otherwise get from having to move the stick and rudder to maintain level flight.

JtD
07-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Throttle up?

Maybe "gentle" is not gentle enough?

I don't know mate, just fly straight for longer portions of the fight.

tandy45
07-08-2008, 10:24 AM
im already using 80 - 90% throttle and i'm still getting used to trimming the aircraft so it may be that.

OMK_Hand
07-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi tandy45.

Well spotted.
Airspeed is that which you sacrifice in order to manoeuvre, and visa versa.

A steady pace is what you have when all things are in harmony - drag, thrust, lift.

In a fight of your own choosing, there's basically a choice of harmony fighting - 'Boom and Zoom', and chaos fighting, 'Turn and Burn'.

Chaos fighting requires a means of restoring energy that is quickly sacrificed in the fight, especially when there are other nasties about to harass you.

Height is often the preferred 'means', quickly converted into speed by the act of diving, and thus restoring harmony, giving you back the gift of choice.

This is getting quite Zen, so I'd better quit.
Hope it helps, but I doubt it...

M_Gunz
07-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Have you been forgetting to raise flaps and/or gear?
200 mph is pretty slow....

OMK_Hand
07-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Hi Gunz.

tandy45, what's your altitude in all of this?

Ba5tard5word
07-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Remember that all measurements in the game are generally in metric (except for speed gauges on UK or US planes I guess).

If I am doing a mission that involves flying close to the ground, generally I find the quickest way to get to max speed is to point up and get to around 1000 meters or higher, then point my nose down and do a shallow dive, which lets me pick up speed quickly. Of course you have to do this when you're not surrounded by enemies, or they'll pounce on you when you're slowly ascending.

If you do a lot of maneuvering you will lose a lot of speed, but your enemies will too. Just remember that a height advantage lets you get speed, and if you're at a huge height disadvantage to your enemy, lure him into diving at you then pull out of the way of his bullets and you can usually turn around and get behind him and get him before he zooms away.

tandy45
07-08-2008, 01:24 PM
my flaps and gear are indeed up after take off and im usually flying at around 1500 - 4000 feet if that helps

Xiolablu3
07-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by tandy45:
im already using 80 - 90% throttle and i'm still getting used to trimming the aircraft so it may be that.

Use full throttle plus WEP while in a fight.

M_Gunz
07-08-2008, 02:34 PM
What plane?

And are you going by gages or speedbar and if the latter do you have it set up mph and feet?

Are you flying with the ball (or slip needle in Spitfire) centered?
Uncoordinated flight is a great way to go slow.

You should be able to get a P-51, for example, well over 200mph at 2km alt with 70% power and 70% rpm.

tandy45
07-08-2008, 02:40 PM
im flying the hurricane mkII favourably and i alternate the speed bar and gauges for altitude and speed depending on the situation, as i feel a split second distraction could make the difference between flameball and getting out of the way.

OMK_Hand
07-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi tandy45.

I've just figured out in the QMB that you must be in a Hurri, RAF campaign and all...

Well, there you go....
The cockpit gauge shows knots, not mph. 210 knots flat out at sea level = 241 mph, so it's not that bad... Buts that's about all you'll get I'm afraid...

You can use 120% mix (to help cool down) and WEP up to about 3,000' to get some speed. Above 3,000' you have to reduce the mix. The Hurri overheats at around 98 degrees as shown on the cockpit gauge.

You need to get close to 10,000' to get much faster, again 210 knots indicated at 10,000' = about 290 mph.
(The go-faster speed thing tops out at about 18,000')

Here are some guidelines for the Hurricane MkII:

Take off: Rudder Trim Full right, Radiator open, Full Power

Climb and Combat: 2850 (90%) +9 (90%) 1 hr
(śCombat' used when circumstances allow. Otherwise, balls to the wall...)

Initial best climb: 121.6 knots IAS
(135 knots IAS with bombs)

Cruise: 2660 (75%) +7 (77%)
Max Cruise: Blower stage 1: Full power up to +4 : RPM 1800 (50%) : Aim for 136 Knots. If too fast, reduce throttle. If too slow, increase rpm.

Best at: 10,000', 18,044'
Max oil temp: 98

Land: 104 knots IAS
Gear and flaps down. Prop Pitch 100%
Final Approach: 78.2 knots IAS

Blower: Stage 2: approx. 14,000' Change when boost falls by 5 lbs sq/in

I find them fun to use...

tandy45
07-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the information OMK_Hand, i won;t be able to play the game tonight, however i'll let you know if i have any improvements tommorow, once again thanks everyone

M_Gunz
07-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by tandy45:
im flying the hurricane mkII favourably and i alternate the speed bar and gauges for altitude and speed depending on the situation, as i feel a split second distraction could make the difference between flameball and getting out of the way.

That's not what I meant. It's good to have both speed and alt down there simply because we don't
have normal field of view.

What I mean is that the speed bar can show different measurement system units.
It can show kph speed and meters altitude, the default, or mph and feet and IIRC, knots and feet
though I never used that. I stick to kph and meters myself, I am used to them.

I think that Hand has the right of it and that's Hurricane II.

Are you keeping the ball centered? You might be losing some speed if not.

tandy45
07-08-2008, 04:54 PM
ah right i thought you mean't in general, im using miles and feet - easier, i haven't generally seen the ball wihtin the hurricane but on the spitfire i am able to keep it rather centred or as near as possible.

Thanks

OMK_Hand
07-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Here's what the RAF had to say about trimming:

"Advanced Pilot Training: How to Trim

Because the loading of an airplane is never uniform-the load. changing with the number and placing of the crew, the placing of the cargo, the power used, and the continually changing weight of the gasoline in the tanks-some means must be employed to keep the ship flying naturally in a straight line with its wings level and its nose neither up nor down. This aerodynamic counterbalancing for load change is accomplished by offsetting the natural flight positions of the control surfaces through the use of "trim tabs." The number of trim tabs varies with the size of the airplane, ranging from a single tab on the elevator of a small airplane to tabs on the ailerons and rudder as well as the elevator of larger airplanes.

In Flight:

When trimming an airplane fitted only with a "nose up" and "nose down" trim-tab adjustment:
FIRST-climb to the desired altitude. If there is too much forward pressure on the control column during a normal climb, adjust the elevator trim tab to bring the nose up.
SECOND-adjust the engine to its rated cruising power,
THIRD-move the wheel or control stick back and forth and determine by feel if the ship is "nose heavy" or "tail heavy." If continual back pressure is needed to keep the rate-of-climb indicator at zero, the airplane is "nose heavy." If forward pressure is required, it is "tail heavy."
FOURTH-adjust the trim-tab adjustment control to counteract this tendency, being careful to follow the direction of turn indicated to bring the nose "down" or "up."

To trim an airplane equipped with ailerons and rudder as well as elevator Trim:
FIRST-climb to desired altitude and set engine to its rated cruising power.
SECOND-adjust for "nose up" or "nose down" as indicated for small ships as above.
THIRD-adjust for low left or low right wing adjusting aileron trim-tab control.
FOURTH-adjust for right or left yaw (turn) by adjusting the rudder trim-tab control.
FIFTH-recheck the "nose up-nose down" low-wing trim-tab adjustments.

Landing
Most airplanes must be trimmed for the gliding speed when coming down for a landing

Trim-Tab Don'ts:
Don't adjust the trim tabs too rapidly. Cases have been reported where a too rapid adjustment of the tabs has thrown the airplane into a snap roll.
Don't forget that as your gasoline supply decreases the balance of the airplane may change and further tab adjustments may be necessary.

REMEMBER-the main function of the trim, is to ease the pressure on the controls and save the pilot work. If that is not accomplished if the adjustments are not correct."

(Think it's RAF... anyhow, interesting.)

Ba5tard5word
07-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Is there a way to change the measurements in IL-2 1946 that show in the lower left corner to feet/miles instead of metric? I live in the USA so I'm used to the feet/miles system but I've never been able to figure out a way to change IL-2 from metric so I've just gotten used to meters/kilometers in the game eventually. Heck I probably wouldn't want to use feet/miles, but I am curious if there is a way to change it.

WTE_Galway
07-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Check your controls setup and see what key toggles the speedbar.

From the readme ...

Speedbar Units: You can use the Toggle Speedbar key (definable in the Controls section) to toggle the speedbar between metric units, and imperial units with speed in knots or miles per hour. The speedbar will toggle through measurement units in this order: Metric -> Imperial / Knots -> Imperial / Miles.

Which brings up another matter. I fly with speedbar, HUD and coms text off but for some reason the sim always default to displaying a bearing in the speedbar area when loading that I then need to separately toggle off. Is there a way to default to turning this off as well ?