PDA

View Full Version : Saitek Users...Software Updates

bmoffa
01-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Saitek has finally moved the beta version of the drivers and SST programming software to the released software area. This one includes updated help and manual for the profile editor.

roybaty
01-01-2008, 07:51 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

LT.INSTG8R
01-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Have they made it so it can use older profiles? I got very upset the SD6's wouldn't accept my 3yr old profile which took me just as long to get right.

Bearcat99
01-01-2008, 09:11 AM
I use the older SW... and it works fine for me since I have an X-45...

Spinnetti
01-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Why run any software at all?

On my 3rd stick in 6 or so years of IL2 - two X-45s (I keep breaking the triggers) and just got an X-52 (I also have CH-Pro pedals and TrackIR).

I just use the built in windows detection and default settings in IL2 and don't install any drivers for the stick. Works great!

roybaty
01-01-2008, 10:41 AM
I just downloaded it. Is it me or did Saitek actually make the profiler/editor LESS user friendly???

As for why some of us bother programming our controllers, well a lot of us like using toggles, macros, etc. so things work exactly like we want them to.

guitarman1968
01-01-2008, 10:59 AM
As for old profiles that are in dat. form there is supposed to be a converter coming out shortly which enables you to convert dat. into the new pro profile format.

RAF_OldBuzzard
01-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by guitarman1968:
As for old profiles that are in dat. form there is supposed to be a converter coming out shortly which enables you to convert dat. into the new pro profile format.

I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for it.

They've been promising that since April 2007 when the first beta came out.

Bearcat99
01-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Spinnetti:

On my 3rd stick in 6 or so years of IL2 - two X-45s (I keep breaking the triggers) and just got an X-52 (I also have CH-Pro pedals and TrackIR).

I just use the built in windows detection and default settings in IL2 and don't install any drivers for the stick. Works great!

The software will give you much greater flexibility in programming.... for the X-45 it is not hard once you dive into it....

roybaty
01-01-2008, 12:22 PM
I think I know my problem, the interface is too simple http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Up until a few months back when my Cougar died http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I was making pretty intense scripts/macros for LOMAC in the foxy text editor.

foxyboy1964
01-01-2008, 12:39 PM

You really should give the profile editor a try. I have mine set up to deal with all the radio messages. One press of a button and I can tell the flight to break off and head for home or regroup and attack fighters etc.

Tachyon1000
01-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I use the older SW... and it works fine for me since I have an X-45...
Not sure if you have tried it but the new programming software works pretty well with the X-45.

JadehawkII
01-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Got Link?

K_Freddie
01-01-2008, 03:05 PM

+1... the X52 has enough buttons on it for the 'essential services'. The profiles, etc.. add extra 'delay' to the games response to your actions. Trust me, when you push many buttons in quick succession, the delay becomes noticable, so I go with windoze - (Can't believe I said that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif )

Klemm.co
01-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by JadehawkII:
Got Link?
GIYF (google is your friend) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.htm
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

LT.INSTG8R
01-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by K_Freddie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spinnetti:

+1... the X52 has enough buttons on it for the 'essential services'. The profiles, etc.. add extra 'delay' to the games response to your actions. Trust me, when you push many buttons in quick succession, the delay becomes noticable, so I go with windoze - (Can't believe I said that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont touch the keyboard unless I want to type a message someone.

I use all 3 modes and can fly anything from a bomber to a carrier based plane without ever having to touch the keyboard and can use anything that they can do and I mean everything.

Codex1971
01-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by bmoffa:
Saitek has finally moved the beta version of the drivers and SST programming software to the released software area. This one includes updated help and manual for the profile editor.

Bugger and I've just done a re-install and installed the old Beta's... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Stew278
01-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Good to see they finally released updated drivers. Too bad it hasn't resolved the problem with the lights on my X-52 switching themselves to full brightness at arbitrary times despite the control panel slider always being set for off http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif
Must be a hardware problem.

Spinnetti
01-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by foxyboy1964:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spinnetti:

You really should give the profile editor a try. I have mine set up to deal with all the radio messages. One press of a button and I can tell the flight to break off and head for home or regroup and attack fighters etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, thats a good point.. but can't you just assign a button to that in IL2 without special drivers?

crucislancer
01-02-2008, 10:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foxyboy1964:

You really should give the profile editor a try. I have mine set up to deal with all the radio messages. One press of a button and I can tell the flight to break off and head for home or regroup and attack fighters etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, thats a good point.. but can't you just assign a button to that in IL2 without special drivers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Foxboy is talking about is a macro, which you can't do in IL-2's control editing, but you can do with the SST software. It's quite easy to program a button that triggers a string of characters where you can order your whole squadron to attack AAA ground targets with one press of the button.

I just started playing around with the software myself tonight. Just the realization alone that I can set up several different configurations makes it worth the effort to program. I'll have a mode for single engine fighters, one for 2-engine planes, and perhaps one for bombers with bombsights.

Waldo.Pepper
01-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Other than supposed ease of use, is there any significant change or reason to get it? cause as it is I find it a breeze to use.

Stew278
01-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
Other than supposed ease of use, is there any significant change or reason to get it? cause as it is I find it a breeze to use.

The updated software? There is some difference between the layout and use of the new profile editor, but it's not any worse than the old one.

I think this software made it easier to work with if you have multiple devices. I can create an IL2 profile for my X-52, pedals, and throttle quad all at once, save it as one file, and load that file for each controller before I play. I think with the old software I had separate profiles for the stick and pedals since you could edit one controller at a time (also it didn't support the quad). The old software used to pop up a dialog every time asking which device you were making a profile for when you opened the profile editor, now it just opens SST and you select the device by a dropdown menu.

Some people might need to upgrade for compatibility reasons. When I got the throttle quad I had to upgrade the drivers for my X-52 and pedals from the old drivers to the betas because the old software didn't support the quad. The only options were upgrade to the SD6 drivers or not be able to use SST for the quad. I wanted to use the toggle buttons for advanced commands so I didn't have much choice there.

Waldo.Pepper
01-03-2008, 02:04 AM
X-52, pedals, and throttle quad all at once

Ah so it is more user friendly if you have the entire suite of Saitek gear (X-52 pedals, throttle quad etc.)

Good edition then - but does not apply to myself. Thanks for the answer. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

LT.INSTG8R
01-03-2008, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Stew278:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:

The updated software? There is some difference between the layout and use of the new profile editor, but it's not any worse than the old one.

I think this software made it easier to work with if you have multiple devices. I can create an IL2 profile for my X-52, pedals, and throttle quad all at once, save it as one file, and load that file for each controller before I play. I think with the old software I had separate profiles for the stick and pedals since you could edit one controller at a time (also it didn't support the quad). The old software used to pop up a dialog every time asking which device you were making a profile for when you opened the profile editor, now it just opens SST and you select the device by a dropdown menu.

Some people might need to upgrade for compatibility reasons. When I got the throttle quad I had to upgrade the drivers for my X-52 and pedals from the old drivers to the betas because the old software didn't support the quad. The only options were upgrade to the SD6 drivers or not be able to use SST for the quad. I wanted to use the toggle buttons for advanced commands so I didn't have much choice there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DWAH! I didnt want to hear that. I had just sorta decided I was gonna pick up the throttle quad. Well looks like Im startin my Profile over again.... Or will it work with the SD5's and its just the same fiddly as it is now? (I have X-52 and pedals now)

DmdSeeker
01-03-2008, 07:43 AM
How do you make one profile file for all three controllers?

I've an X52, yoke and quadrant. I'd like to keep the X52 throttle and I've been experimenting with the software (for instance, can I use a button on the yoke as a shift button for the X52 throttle?) but so far I'm loading three different files: one for the yoke/quadrant, one for the rudders and one for the X52.

How do you combine them into one file?

Stew278
01-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by DmdSeeker:
How do you make one profile file for all three controllers?

I've an X52, yoke and quadrant. I'd like to keep the X52 throttle and I've been experimenting with the software (for instance, can I use a button on the yoke as a shift button for the X52 throttle?) but so far I'm loading three different files: one for the yoke/quadrant, one for the rudders and one for the X52.

How do you combine them into one file?

Using the latest version of the profile editor software (I forget the #), it has a dropdown menu at the top where you select the controller you want to map the keys to (X-52pro, X-52, yoke, etc). I selected X-52 and set my key maps. Then I selected throttle quad and set the key maps. Then I saved the profile and exited. I right click on the X-52 icon in the taskbar tray and load the IL2 profile, right click on the quad icon and load the same IL2 profile. If I try to load the profile to the pedals I get an error message saying the profile contains no data for that controller (because I didn't add any). It would seem that it can detect which controllers are active and load the appropriate data for each controller. So I have profiles for different games (IL2, FSX, Falcon4, Lomac) each containing the mappings for multiple controllers for that particular game. I haven't tried it with 2 different sticks (eg. yoke and X-52) so I don't know if it will have a conflict there or not.

Stew278
01-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by LT.INSTG8R:

DWAH! I didnt want to hear that. I had just sorta decided I was gonna pick up the throttle quad. Well looks like Im startin my Profile over again.... Or will it work with the SD5's and its just the same fiddly as it is now? (I have X-52 and pedals now)

My X-52 and pedal profiles worked just fine with the older version of the SST in the .dat format after I added on the quad. The quad worked just fine that way too, the only thing was I couldn't get the profile editor software to work for the quad without upgrading. The SST software is optional anyways, so the devices will function just fine without it. In my case I wanted to use advanced commands to map the bombsight controls to the 6 toggle buttons on the quad (I wanted repeated key presses by just holding the button down), so I needed the profile editor to work for that device.

The SST software I was running (non-beta version that was on their site before the upgrade) didn't seem to have a provision for programming the quad. If I checked the version # I was running, the X-52 and pedals both showed a driver and SST software version #, but the quad just showed a driver # and said no SST software was installed for that device. The quad works just fine that way, but I couldn't use the profile editor for advanced commands on it. The software that came with the quad was the new format. Maybe there's a version of the older software that supports it, but the version I was using apparently didn't.

I think the quad came out after they switched to the new format, so it might be that the old software didn't cover it. Maybe someone else here has gotten profile editor to work for the quad with the old .dat versions?

Besides, it only took me 30 min or so to redo all my profiles. I had been planning on revising them anyways.

LT.INSTG8R
01-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the info. Chances are I would want to program the quad as well. I just did a big tidy up of mine a few months back and finalized it. I suppose I can print it out and input it in.