PDA

View Full Version : Goals for a newbie

Triggaaar
09-28-2005, 07:00 PM
I've had a bit of a fly, started on some reading (seen the links, and there's a lot) and flown some more. The flying is more fun than the reading, and with my new joystick, and merged game an' all...

I was wondering what's the best way to learn dogfighting skills:
a) Quick mission vs 1 opponent in the same aircraft, and then increase their skill as you get better.
b) Quick mission vs 1 Vet or Ace opponent, in an inferior fighter
c) Quick mission with multiple opponents and allies
d) Campaign

I assumed a) or b) was best, as multiple aircraft seems to confuse the issue when trying to learn how to fly.

At the moment, all I can do is chase an opponents tails. I understand Lead, Pure and Lag pursuit, but have no idea about anything other than pursuit. A strategy based on energy seems beyond my comprehension at this time, I only really get turn fighting.

The AI's repetitive crashing into the ground is annoying me - I can stall and spin with the best, but they seem in total control, and aim a little low (inc the aces).

It's quite demoralising reading the threads here, and seeing that some of you warm up with a quick mission against 4 aces in simillar fighters - so I'm after some goals, so I know if I'm improving enough, and if I'll ever be able to fly online. Obviously we all have a different amount of spare time, and learn at different rates, but some newbie goals like:
period 1 - learn to fly one of the following suitable fighters x, y, z, learn when they stall etc (I haven't done this by the way)
period 2 - learn to shoot down un-defended bombers (check)
etc - and then at what stage a newbie could venture online

Thanks guys (and obviously galls)

Note - I'm flying normal difficulty, with icons on, to learn the distances.

Jumoschwanz
09-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Pick a favorite craft that you will be flying online a lot and fly the living sh it out of it for hours on end.

Then you will do well in that craft, and you can apply what you know to everything you fly thereafter.
I spent most of my hours in the bf109 and other axis craft, but after you learn what you are doing and the right tactics, it does not matter what you fly, as the pilot makes the difference, not the plane, just ask Chuck Yeager!

Also, start off flying hard settings. If start on easy settings you will get used to them and later there is a good chance, when you are less youthful and enthusiastic, you will not enjoy learning new things, like flying with the cockpit on, navigating with a compass, and identifying craft with no icons. You will spend your virtual-IL2 life as an arcade puss!

So jump right into full difficulty and marvel at the various levers and guages in front of you. Learn what they are and just take off and fly around a map. Then put one foe on the map, or something to bomb and have some fun. PM me your email address and I will send you a definitive gunnery track.
S!

Jumoschwanz

FlatSpinMan
09-28-2005, 08:09 PM
In my view the campaigns are a pretty good way to learn the basics. As there are often different flights with different objectives in the same mission I think it is easier to shoot down the enemy.
In QMBs it is just a head-to-head merge and then usually tailchasing. In a campaign you can
A)sneak up behind bandits attacking your bombers;
B)nail them when they fly past your nose in the act of chasing one of your guys (only a snapshot but great when it works);
C)take on a range of aircraft, often unexpectedly
D) call for assistance when you get in trouble

plus you have to pay attention to what is happening around you. Then you have to return to base with your wing damaged or engine shot up or whatever. That alone makes it much more interesting.

If you get tired of the longish straight flights to get to target just hit Time Skip (if you have mapped a button to it).
I started a thread somewhere on the second or maybe third page which lists good user-made campaigns (that's the title I think) if you are looking for places to start.
As for planes,I recommend
-Lagg 3 (not the IT)as it is pretty stable and has a decent cannon (not heaps of ammo though)
-P-40M (or E or whatever)- flies nice, good zoom climb, manoeuvrable, and I find it quite easy to shoot with
-Hurricane (not the Mk I) for landing practice as it has nice wide undercarriage. The Mk I's engine cuts out when you dip the nose and that gets a bit hairy sometimes.
-I-16 type 24(?) - this is a bit trickier to fly as it moves around a bit and also has the habit of cutting the engine when you nose down but it has quite hefty armament and is extremely manoeuvrable so it's great for turnfighting. It is slow however so you're not going to catch much. If you're being chased though it is quite a slippery one to catch.
-La7 - you'll get branded a noob but it is a dream to fly. Again, you don't get a lot of bullets but the ones you do get pack a punch so if you land a shot you have a good chance of doing some damage. Plus you can climb, dive, turn with the best of them and if you're getting beaten up, just run for it.

In terms of difficulty settings, I suggest everything on and I'd recommend icons. People disagree about this but I just can't spot the dots without them and it is annoying to chase something down only to discover it is a friendly. against the ground it is almost impossible to see them without icons. I have them set for range only.
You might want to leave CEM off but it's not so tricky to use and makes things interesting.

Hope that was some help.
=============================

Low_Flyer_MkII
09-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Pretty much in agreement with what has gone before. Pick a plane and stick with it, go for realistic flight options, limited fuel & ammo - you'll thank us for it in the long run. Now here comes the contentious bit - I use no cockpit view when the feathers start flying, with no icons. It's a free country. Whatever you're comfortable with. Try a programme called Mission Mate, it's a nice halfway house between full and quick mission builder - all that head on at various altitide can get repetative. Practice, practice, practice, but take a break every now and then - you'll be surprised how much you've improved when you come back. My favourite missions involve myself and a wingman versus an enemy ace and his wingman - it keeps it simple, yet throws in a lot of variables. Most importantly, have fun!

There are some great fellow flyers here, From all parts of the world, always willing to give advice and share opinions, even if they don't agree all the time, and even if their sense of humour seems warped. Like I said earlier, have fun and don't be afraid to do things your way.

96th_Nightshifter
09-28-2005, 08:48 PM
Okay for gunnery practice, set up a QMB against 4 fighters and 4 bombers (yeah that's right 4 of each) BUT....... ,make sure that thier loadout is "Empty", that way you can shoot at them till your heart is content and they can't shoot back. Choose to fight against zeros (as they are manouverable) and then choose any bombers that you wish to shoot down, YOU MUST NOT shoot down the bombers from their 6 position; you can very rarely get away with it against an armed bomber online so there is not point in practising to shoot it down that way.
DO NOT set your ammo as unlimited - depending on your aircraft you have got enough ammo to shoot down all 4 fighters and maybe a couple if not all the bombers - there is no point in learning to shoot by spraying and praying with unlimited ammo as you won't have that option online.
Once you think you have got this mastered, try adding a lone armed fighter to the equation and see how you get on and slowly build from there.
Oh yeah and set them all to aces, whether they are armed or not - you want them to be as much of a challenge as possible because once you get online you will realise that the AI are ALL Noobs compared to actual live thinking people.

Do this training because it will help you and most of all because it is fun. Vary starting altitudes etc.

OC77th-Stone
09-29-2005, 12:36 AM
Ive been flying this sim for about 8 months and still have a long way to go....Unbelievable how intense some of these guys are and the knowledge they have. My suggestion would be to find someone to speak with(fly with) over one of the comms, and pick their brains. There are a lot of on-line servers out there with comms channels, and Im sure you would probably find someone willing to help ya. Look for the Pacific Theater server in hyperlobby sometime and join our TS, we have alot of great guys always willing to lend a hand.

Friendly_flyer
09-29-2005, 01:18 AM
Have fun.

The more fun you have, the more you fly. The more you fly, the more you learn.

Taylortony
09-29-2005, 01:48 AM
Landing......... Crack that too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and take offs. a lot will come from those, u will become aware of handling, stalling, torque, effects of flaps etc

If you want a map where you can fly all the planes without being bothered by others, well bar some flak, select multiplayer from the main menu, create a new server and you can then chose a map and play it offline with no other aircraft flying, that way you can practice everything with just the knowledge that the only thing that will attack you is flak at enemy bases....... I use this to skin with as I can let it fly round on its own while i alter skins add them to the folders and refly them to check it...

oh and enjoy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

money_money
09-29-2005, 04:11 AM
Ive also only been flying this game for a short time, and have learnt the most about combat by watching other peoples tracks. the only problem is these tracks are few and far between, or at least i cant find them. I realise now that freely showing people your tracks would make you feel you are giving away all your tricks, but i wish people would post more. the latest thing I have learnt from watching the few good tracks I have is always lead your target, this has helped me a lot as i would only start leading when I was in firing range.

ps if anyone wants to send me some tracks, pm me

<3 $

Jumoschwanz
09-29-2005, 08:10 AM
See that's what I am talking about. If you want to shoot down bombers online, they will have guns better than AI because the pilot will jump i the gunner seat and let you have it good!

So you had better learn how to attack a bomber with gunners enabled so you can learn how to fly at a bombers blind spots or make a fast slashing attack that does not give it a chance to fire back effectively. If you oon't jump right in the water, in the future you simply will avoid swimming.
Same thing I was telling you with full difficulty, the guys that get used to easy settings, more often than not never move onto more difficult ones once they get used to the easy ones. They get good at the easy settings and get good flying on no-cockpit servers, then after a year or so when the do try a hard server they find they are back on square-one and their pride and teh realization that they have a long way to go makes them rationalize the easier settings and denounce the harder settings and they go back home to some arcade server.
I have seen a few guys struggle with this. I give them credit for trying to switch but it seems like it is like quitting smoking for them, very tough.

I shot down a very succesful bf110 pilot with fighter cover online recently. He was really socking it to our ground targets. I was in a Spitfire, which is notoriously sucseptible to hits in the engine from gunner fire. From practice and experience getting around bomber gunners I was able to make a pass and flame one of his engines without getting hit. This was on a full real server, and I learned how to shoot with the cockpit on and line up shots by practicing under the same conditions I find when online.
Making things easy in practice is like getting ready for a running marathon by knitting a sweater.
Now the best part is it is not really that much more difficult to fly difficult settings if that is what you are used to, it is very natural. Easy and difficult are just words. Actually both take skill, but different skills. And flying one teaches you the wrong skills for the other.
I like the simulation part of the game, so I like complicated engine management(not really that complicated), I like having trouble seeing over the nose of my craft on takeoff and landing as they did back in the day, and I like having the wings and nose block my view and ability to see what I am shooting at, as they did back in the day. Also I like being able to surprise and bounce an opponent and I like having to keep my head on a swivel to look for the enemy bouncing me, as they did back in the day.
I always flew hard settings even when I had a slow rig with a 17"crt monitor, and I always did fine. I still just use a hat-switch to look around and track foes too, track IR is over-rated. I can send you a track of using a hat switch to track foes that will make your hair curl.
So jump onto the busiest, cockpit-on, no outside view server you can find and you will learn really fast.

S!
Jumoschwanz

Flying_Nutcase
09-29-2005, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
...track IR is over-rated.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

<psst, don't believe him! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif >

Kuna15
09-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Guys said well in their replies. I can only repeat what has already been said... one favourite aircraft because of few reasons;
-you will familiarise yourself with flying characteristics of that type
-you will familiarise yourself with gunnery on that type
I have bolded gunnery because I am still apostrophing that as the most needed skill in fighter aircraft.

Also if I may reccomend some QMB matchups to you (I don't know what your favourite aircraft is but..)

2000m, no advantage all

you
Yak-1B (100% fuel)

vs

ace ai
1 Bf-109G-2--------
1 Bf-109G-2-------- 50% fuel all
1 Bf-109G-2--------
1 Bf-109G-2--------

PS: it is important that you 'ungroup' Bf-109s so they wont fly leader-wingman element but instead they will all go after you. And that is considerably more dangerous sitiation for you.
Also you will see that this really is demanding matchup because you are basically limited to horizontal turning with forcing head 2 head fight on deck. Try to be as much as possible closer to deck (lower than ai) that way you can avoid his burst and at the same time give him a burst. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

2000m, no advantage all

you
LA-5 100% fuel

vs

ace ai
1 Bf-109G-2---------
1 Bf-109G-2--------- 50% fuel all
1 Bf-109G-2---------
1 Bf-109G-2---------

This is somewhat easier set than with Yak-1B, because in LA-5 you actually can catch ai Bf-109G-2 in chase.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Basically any historical vs historical fighter planeset is a good matchup in a way I described above you may just change the altitude (if specific type demands that for example P-47). You can try Spitfire 9 vs Bf-109G-6/LATEs etc.

Also if I may add, you can try campaign in fact I myself prefer to play it but you will gain real skill quickly only in QMB, where you are constantly practicing combat manoeuvres and gunnery. Providing that you can take off and land safely. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Triggaaar
09-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks guys, just what I was after.

Pick a favorite craft that you will be flying online a lot and fly the living sh it out of it for hours on end

Also, start off flying hard settings. If start on easy settings you will get used to them and later there is a good chance, when you are less youthful and enthusiastic, you will not enjoy learning new things, like flying with the cockpit on, navigating with a compass, and identifying craft with no icons. Excellent point. Does that also mean I have to learn about changing prop pitch and engine mixture now? I can only just fly.

PM me your email address and I will send you a definitive gunnery track. Whatever that means, thanks, I will.

In my view the campaigns are a pretty good way to learn the basics. That's what I wanted to hear. More fun that way, which means more playing and more learning (as everyone's pointed out).

I started a thread somewhere on the second or maybe third page which lists good user-made campaigns (that's the title I think) if you are looking for places to start.
As for planes,I recommend
-Lagg 3 (not the IT)as it is pretty stable and has a decent cannon (not heaps of ammo though)
-P-40M (or E or whatever)- flies nice, good zoom climb, manoeuvrable, and I find it quite easy to shoot with
-Hurricane (not the Mk I) for landing practice as it has nice wide undercarriage. The Mk I's engine cuts out when you dip the nose and that gets a bit hairy sometimes.
-I-16 type 24(?) - this is a bit trickier to fly as it moves around a bit and also has the habit of cutting the engine when you nose down but it has quite hefty armament and is extremely manoeuvrable so it's great for turnfighting. It is slow however so you're not going to catch much. If you're being chased though it is quite a slippery one to catch.
-La7 - you'll get branded a noob but it is a dream to fly. Again, you don't get a lot of bullets but the ones you do get pack a punch so if you land a shot you have a good chance of doing some damage. Plus you can climb, dive, turn with the best of them and if you're getting beaten up, just run for it.
Is it better to start with a user made campaign than what's built in? I have the merged install, and would like to start with FB.

In terms of difficulty settings, I suggest everything on and I'd recommend icons. People disagree about this but I just can't spot the dots without them and it is annoying to chase something down only to discover it is a friendly... I have them set for range only. Does that mean going to difficulty setting and selecting difficult? I tried easy, shot 11 enemy (unrealistic), flew normal, didn't get 1. I agree about icons - how do I set it for say friendly only, at a certain range - or whatever is considered sensible for learning?

You might want to leave CEM off but it's not so tricky to use and makes things interesting. Do you need to keep adjusting the mixture, and changing prop pitch? When do you do what?

Now here comes the contentious bit - I use no cockpit view when the feathers start flying, with no icons. It is tough with the cockpit view - in real life you could move your head 6 inches to the side to see around a post - what on earth are we supposed to do?

Try a programme called Mission Mate, it's a nice halfway house between full and quick mission builder I'll do a search and see what to do.

Okay for gunnery practice, set up a QMB against 4 fighters and 4 bombers (yeah that's right 4 of each) BUT....... ,make sure that thier loadout is "Empty", that way you can shoot at them till your heart is content and they can't shoot back. Choose to fight against zeros (as they are manouverable) and then choose any bombers that you wish to shoot down, YOU MUST NOT shoot down the bombers from their 6 position; you can very rarely get away with it against an armed bomber online so there is not point in practising to shoot it down that way.
DO NOT set your ammo as unlimited - depending on your aircraft you have got enough ammo to shoot down all 4 fighters and maybe a couple if not all the bombers - there is no point in learning to shoot by spraying and praying with unlimited ammo as you won't have that option online. Oh yeah and set them all to aces, whether they are armed or not - you want them to be as much of a challenge as possible because once you get online you will realise that the AI are ALL Noobs compared to actual live thinking people. You're having a laugh http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'm to start against aces, in zeros? I know they won't have ammo, but I'll get behind them, they'll barrell roll, I'll stall and crash. Seriously, is this the best way?

My suggestion would be to find someone to speak with(fly with) over one of the comms, and pick their brains. There are a lot of on-line servers out there with comms channels, and Im sure you would probably find someone willing to help ya. Look for the Pacific Theater server in hyperlobby sometime and join our TS, we have alot of great guys always willing to lend a hand I will try and remember this, thanks.

the latest thing I have learnt from watching the few good tracks I have is always lead your target, this has helped me a lot as i would only start leading when I was in firing range. Is this good advice? From the simHQ site, I noted how leading leads to overshooting your opponent, unless you have a much better turn rate.

So you had better learn how to attack a bomber with gunners enabled so you can learn how to fly at a bombers blind spots or make a fast slashing attack that does not give it a chance to fire back effectively. If you oon't jump right in the water, in the future you simply will avoid swimming. Right, 4 ace fighters, no ammo, 4 ace bombers, armed.

Same thing I was telling you with full difficulty, the guys that get used to easy settings, more often than not never move onto more difficult ones once they get used to the easy ones. They get good at the easy settings and get good flying on no-cockpit servers, then after a year or so when the do try a hard server they find they are back on square-one and their pride and teh realization that they have a long way to go makes them rationalize the easier settings and denounce the harder settings and they go back home to some arcade server. Excellent point.

Also if I may reccomend some QMB matchups to you (I don't know what your favourite aircraft is but..) Cheers

ace ai
1 Bf-109G-2--------
1 Bf-109G-2-------- 50% fuel all
1 Bf-109G-2--------
1 Bf-109G-2-------- Why enemy light on fuel?

PS: it is important that you 'ungroup' Bf-109s so they wont fly leader-wingman element but instead they will all go after you. And that is considerably more dangerous sitiation for you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif why do I want it more dangerous? And how can a beginner take on 4 aces?

Also you will see that this really is demanding matchup because you are basically limited to horizontal turning with forcing head 2 head fight on deck. Try to be as much as possible closer to deck (lower than ai) that way you can avoid his burst and at the same time give him a burst. I don't understand.

Also if I may add, you can try campaign in fact I myself prefer to play it but you will gain real skill quickly only in QMB, where you are constantly practicing combat manoeuvres and gunnery. I'll do both then.

96th_Nightshifter
09-29-2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Triggaaar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Okay for gunnery practice, set up a QMB against 4 fighters and 4 bombers (yeah that's right 4 of each) BUT....... ,make sure that thier loadout is "Empty", that way you can shoot at them till your heart is content and they can't shoot back. Choose to fight against zeros (as they are manouverable) and then choose any bombers that you wish to shoot down, YOU MUST NOT shoot down the bombers from their 6 position; you can very rarely get away with it against an armed bomber online so there is not point in practising to shoot it down that way.
DO NOT set your ammo as unlimited - depending on your aircraft you have got enough ammo to shoot down all 4 fighters and maybe a couple if not all the bombers - there is no point in learning to shoot by spraying and praying with unlimited ammo as you won't have that option online. Oh yeah and set them all to aces, whether they are armed or not - you want them to be as much of a challenge as possible because once you get online you will realise that the AI are ALL Noobs compared to actual live thinking people. You're having a laugh http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'm to start against aces, in zeros? I know they won't have ammo, but I'll get behind them, they'll barrell roll, I'll stall and crash. Seriously, is this the best way?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No mate I'm totally serious, I don't see the point in taking on Novice aircraft as once you get online you will realise that even the ACE AI are novice compared to real people so you may as well get used to it being hard right from the go.

dieg777
09-30-2005, 12:48 AM
Hi

I know that you probably want more practacle than theory but have a look here , people have put up some articles that we hope are basic enough to get started but helpful.

http://airwarfare.com/mediawiki-1.4.5/index.php?title=Main_Page

especially

http://airwarfare.com/mediawiki-1.4.5/index.php?title=M...ex_Engine_Management (http://airwarfare.com/mediawiki-1.4.5/index.php?title=Main_Page#Complex_Engine_Managemen t)

http://airwarfare.com/mediawiki-1.4.5/index.php?title=Air_combat_manoeuvring

http://airwarfare.com/mediawiki-1.4.5/index.php?title=Gunnery

Another thing not mentioned is to use tracks and external views to help you learn. At the end of a practice flight click save trackand name it something like "practice 1 ". Go to front page and click play tracks, you will find yours in the scroll down section. Switch on all the switches on the right hand side as this will allow you to accelerate time to get where you want to watch and to change the camera angles with the mouse.
Play this and switch to external view F2 and enemy external view ctrrl + F2 and you can then see your approach and where you hit or miss when firing to get a different perspective.

good luck

FlatSpinMan
09-30-2005, 04:33 AM
Re: why use user-made campaigns? - I have flown parts of the default campaigns and they are okay, espec the Eastern Front ones but they are pretty samey and kind of lacking in story (okay, okay, it was a war, not a novel but you know what I mean..). If you download a user made one then it has a story, frequently amusing or interesting briefings, is often based on history, usually has a lot of variety and is generally well thought-out and designed(that means, there are more nasty surprises at the end of the mission when you are coasting home in a thunderstorm at night over water with no engine, half your tail gone and all ammo expended ). Also, they often include really impressive user-made skins for the planes which are much better than the defaults in most cases. Plus they are FREE!!!

Re: icons - there is a thread somewhere which explains how to enter your settings at the start of every mission. Personally I find that tiresome and just use the "Toggle Icons" button. Again, I think you have to map one for it. It cycles through - range - range plus flght no - range, flt no and plane type. unfortunately it is for all sides and starts at 5km out so it is a bit of a reality killer. Much more fun though.

re: CEM - honestly I'm the last guy to ask but here's what I do.
If I'm in a Lagg or a Yak I make the fuel mixture thinner at about 3000m. Otherwise you leave big skidmarks from your exhausts and everyone laughs at ya http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif. That's all I do.
With the supercharger, some planes have it, some don't . Look in the readme of PF for info about it.Generally though, just fly around a bit and see if you hear a difference in the engine sound when you engage the different steps. Usually below 2000m ish I use Supercharger 1, and above 25oom I use Supercharger 2. This is very likely entirely wrong but it seems to do the trick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.
With radiator (cowl flaps) I open it fully after taking off and pretty much leave it that way unless I really want to get the hell away. Again, crude, but effective enough for my purposes.

Flying_Nutcase
09-30-2005, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by FlatSpinMan:

Re: icons - there is a thread somewhere which explains how to enter your settings at the start of every mission. Personally I find that tiresome and just use the "Toggle Icons" button. Again, I think you have to map one for it. It cycles through - range - range plus flght no - range, flt no and plane type. unfortunately it is for all sides and starts at 5km out so it is a bit of a reality killer. Much more fun though.

You may want to check out the 'Custom Icons' tutorial in my sig. It shows how to customise icons, including having different icons settings for friendly and enemy, all with the push of a single button at the beginning of each mission.

Triggaaar
09-30-2005, 07:41 AM
No mate I'm totally serious, I don't see the point in taking on Novice aircraft as once you get online you will realise that even the ACE AI are novice compared to real people so you may as well get used to it being hard right from the go. I wasn't planning on going from Novice offline, to playing online, but assumed staying offline, and going average, to vet, to ace. Some of the average pilots were taking me on a right merry dance, but I've now flown against a couple of aces, and they're a bit dumb. Like I'd be on their 6, gradually gaining, and when 250m behind, they'd keep going straight? Anyway, point taken, I shall only fly against aces from now on.

I know that you probably want more practacle than theory but have a look here , people have put up some articles that we hope are basic enough to get started but helpful. Nope, some theory is good too, thanks.

Another thing not mentioned is to use tracks and external views to help you learn. At the end of a practice flight click save trackand name it something like "practice 1 ". Yep, I'm using the tracks, thanks. Just watched Jumoschwanz's 'definitive gunnery track' - Wow! You guys are just too good. He (and I'm sure this applies to the rest of you too) was doing rolls and all sorts while looking out the back window. Awsome.

Re: why use user-made campaigns? - I have flown parts of the default campaigns and they are okay, espec the Eastern Front ones but they are pretty samey and kind of lacking in story (okay, okay, it was a war, not a novel but you know what I mean..). If you download a user made one then it has a story, frequently amusing or interesting briefings, is often based on history, usually has a lot of variety and is generally well thought-out and designed I'll give both a go, thanks.

re: CEM - honestly I'm the last guy to ask but here's what I do.
If I'm in a Lagg or a Yak I make the fuel mixture thinner at about 3000m. Otherwise you leave big skidmarks from your exhausts and everyone laughs at ya . That's all I do If you've been flying a bit, and that's all you do, I shall leave it for now, and learn to fly.

You may want to check out the 'Custom Icons' tutorial in my sig. It shows how to customise icons, including having different icons settings for friendly and enemy, all with the push of a single button at the beginning of each mission I'm on it, thanks.

Kuna15
09-30-2005, 07:56 AM
@Trigaaar you will soon see that no ai is a match for you (when you 'polish' your gunnery a bit http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) in 1 vs 1 fights.
You will soon switch to few ai's vs you. If you didn't do it already.

Enemy light on fuel to have better performance.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif why do I want it more dangerous? And how can a beginner take on 4 aces?

You may want it more dangerous to learn faster and better. They wont provide you easy chances like rookie or average ones.
You wont be begginer for long if you keep practicing.

Yeah, when you survive those fights and shoot down few of them in the process, you may say that you have gain decent experience and you are no longer newbie. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I don't understand.

That means that Yak-1B has no sufficient energy to chase Bf-109G-2 and since you will have 3 more on tail and closing on you fast, your only option is horizontal turn on deck. You will outturn ace ai Bf-109G-2 every time if you turn with him on deck. Instead if you try vertical turn (loop) Bf-109 will likely hit you.

When you outturn him concentrate on the one that is closing to you (if more than one then choose one that you can have time to aim on). Head towards him and attempt to shoot him (head-on fight). Basically that is all you have and you must be accurate.
Key is to be very close to deck and slightly below him (when he enters gun range [500m] point your crosshair on him and shoot. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

One more tip about ai; you will outturn every ai if you turn hard on deck. For some reason they quickly give up on turning. That way I can manouver in FW-190 vs ace ai LA-7 fairly easy on deck, while human oponent would shoot me in no time.

Kuna15
09-30-2005, 09:43 AM
I have made you online track of above mentioned combat.
Kurland map, starting on 2000m alt, user in Yak-1B (100% fuel, default weapons) vs 4 Ӕ Bf-109G-2s (ace level 50% fuel, ungroupped). Difficulty settings are all on, only icons are on.

<STRIKE>Kuna_v_Bf-109s (http://free-vk.t-com.hr/domagoj/tracks/Kuna_v_4xBf-109.ntrk) -- right click on link select "save as". It will save it in .htm form (with .htm extension). After download simply rename extension in .nrtk and put file in "records" folder under main FB folder.
File is 2,34MB in size.</STRIKE>

It is really funny about how the first Bf-109 ended... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

edit
New link:
Kuna_v_4xBf-109.zip (http://free-vk.t-com.hr/domagoj/tracks/offline/401__kunayak1b_vs_4xbf109g2_icons.zip) file is 2,33MB in size.
Merged FB+AEP+PF 4.01m version.

Triggaaar
09-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Kuna15:
I have made you online track of above mentioned combat. Thanks. It failed to play though (referencing memory etc). I'm running merged install with recommended patches. Jumoschwanz sent me a file (.dat instead of .ntrk for some reason) which worked fine (note I renamed the extension ntrk, like the others, as opposed to nrtk, as I assume that was a typo).

Kuna15
09-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Trigaaar I have new link (I didn't know how to change extension myself) but F19_Ob helped me out with issue. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Anyway here is the new link to zipped track (.zip)

kunaYak1b_vs_4x_Bf109G_track (http://free-vk.t-com.hr/domagoj/tracks/offline/401__kunayak1b_vs_4xbf109g2_icons.zip)

Left click only will suffice http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif.
Sorry for problems, you had corrupted file because I have worked in Core FTP on uploading/renaming files, most likely. It should work now.

My version of the game is merged FB+AEP+PF 4.01m.

Triggaaar
09-30-2005, 11:47 AM
Great stuff, thanks. All I need to do, is change the file name, and pass it off as my own work.

Interesting to see a different method of flying, compared to Jumoschwanz's.

I am concerned about your lack of respect for you own life though. You were so close the some of those buildings (like the church spire).

Kuna15
09-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks mate. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anyway I like living on the edge. lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Lack of proper tools like trackIR make my life on pit on settings tougher. I use Cyborg EVO, and while that HAT view is suffice I was only switched thru view positions (like with numpad keys), not like with mouse or track IR. And I mapped my zoom/unzoom/normal ("Toggle FOV" in Controls section) views to SPACE key so when in position to shoot I can easily zoom, and unzoom when I'm not also with SPACE.

That way I was almost shot down in begining of the track (when I hit first Bf-109, and he got fuel leak) because second Bf-109 was glued on my tail on about 150m distance. It is quite a miracle how I didn't get shot down. I thought that he was close but I didn't realised he was *that* close. I have figured that when I watched the track. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

major_setback
09-30-2005, 12:28 PM
If you have a better turning aircraft on your tail you can try adding a bit of rudder to your turn:

Turn: Roll the aircraft on to it's side and pull back on the stick to turn, add a little rudder so that you are either slightly climbing or diving during the turn.
Vary the amount of rudder to really confuse them!

The AI are quite stupid and have difficulty in following this manoeuvre.

I read this advice on the forums quite a while ago and have found that it has virtually saved my life many times. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Kuna15
09-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Yes rudder thingy still works http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. Sometimes when I see tracers I just add a little rudder and ai will shoot in thin air wasting ammo.

That worked in past even better than now. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Triggaaar
09-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Flying_Nutcase:
You may want to check out the 'Custom Icons' tutorial in my sig. It shows how to customise icons, including having different icons settings for friendly and enemy, all with the push of a single button at the beginning of each mission. That has to be the clearest tutorial I've ever seen.

Although I don't know how to set a joystick button to 'Shift-Tab', if, 'Enter', ie, 'Enter', 'Shift-Tab'

Normally, I go into controls, select 'weapon 1' and press the button I want to use. How do I type in commands for a joystick button?

Thanks

Kuna15
09-30-2005, 12:49 PM
What type of joystick do you have?(sorry if you already mentioned that, I didn't saw it) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Triggaaar
09-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by major_setback:
If you have a better turning aircraft on your tail you can try adding a bit of rudder to your turn: Before merging games, and getting patches, I was tail chasing AI, and losing. I watched the track, and when just doing horizontal turns, the enemy used full rudder as well as lifting into the turn. I tried it and did the same no prob. After merging games, I tried in a Spit, and had all sorts of trouble.

So:
When trying to max turn in the horizontal, should you use rudder at all? (to aid turning that is, not to make it more difficult for the opponent to site, which I know is what you were advising)

Triggaaar
09-30-2005, 12:53 PM
What type of joystick do you have? MSFFB2

Kuna15
09-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Yes you should use a bit rudder in turn (I use it especially in sustained turning). Also for making shortest possible turn cut you throttle and deploy flaps. That works best only in instant turns when you have decent energy.

There are difference between aircraft handling, depending on types. Spitfire for example is not stable as Bf-109, but if you adjust your rudder input things will be better (thanks again to IceFire for sharing this http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).
Go into Hardware > Input and you will see sensitivity for Pitch Roll Yaw.
Yaw has all on 100% change it to gradual settings; instead of 100, 100, 100... change it to 10, 20, 30... untill 100.
It worked for me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I can't help you with joystick, but it is quite common one and someone should help you with it.

Flying_Nutcase
09-30-2005, 10:33 PM
That has to be the clearest tutorial I've ever seen.

Although I don't know how to set a joystick button to 'Shift-Tab', if, 'Enter', ie, 'Enter', 'Shift-Tab'

Normally, I go into controls, select 'weapon 1' and press the button I want to use. How do I type in commands for a joystick button?

Thanks

Cheers. It's my pride and joy. lol.

Re. MSFFB2. To set several keystrokes:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Click on the 'Recorder' tab in the controller's Properties window (via Control Panel > Game Controllers, but I think you know that).
<LI> Click beside the button you want to assign (under 'Game Action'). This takes you to the 'Game Action Recorder' window.
<LI> Just push the buttons you want, in this case shift-tab then ie then the enter button etc.
[/list]

Easy peezy.

Custom icons are pretty darn cool! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

FlatSpinMan
10-01-2005, 04:56 AM
Oh yeah, about prop pitch here's what I do. I'd actually be interested to hear what anyone else does though as I'm not terribly scientific about it.
For take-off and combat I have the pitch at 100%. When I'm cruising along I tend to drop it to 80% or sometimes 60%. If I do this I match my throttle to it, or just below. You can get high speeds with prop pitch 80% if you are cruising, not noticeably slower than if it were at 100%.
When I am descending rapidly, say to drop down on a target subtantially lower than me, I drop prop pitch down to 50% or lower as it slows the plane down and prevents any unfortunate "wings-fall-off" unpleasantness.
This is also good for my patented lazy, one-approach only, landing technique wherein I approach the base at a fair old clip (gradually losing height and speed and with throttle on about 60% but still hoofing along.) Then I abruptly plummet earthwards cutting the engine, dropping prop pitch to 30% and swan about from side to side to bleed speed and altitude before levelling out about 200m above the ground. If I haven't already done it, I lower my flaps fully, drop the gear if I'm slow enough for them not to rip off (learnt that the hard way)and coast in until I'm really near the runway and about 20m high. At this point I often turn the throttle back up just to give me some altitude and soften the landing.
THIS WILL NOT BE A HAPPY EXPERIMENT TO ATTEMPT IN A 109!!!

The Wildcat is a pretty forgiving plane for landing practise EXCEPT you have to manually lower the gear (again, assign a key - I use the up and down arrows).

Triggaaar
10-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Flying_Nutcase:

[LIST]
<LI> Click on the 'Recorder' tab in the controller's Properties window (via Control Panel > Game Controllers, but I think you know that). I don't have a 'Recorder' tab, only 'Settings' and 'Test'.

I didn't have drivers for the MSFFB2, but XP does recognise exactly which joystick it is. When looking at the joysticks on ebay, sellers were recommending downloading the latest drivers. I've tried, and failed to do so. If this is what I need, can anyone tell me where to get them, or send me the drivers?

Thanks

gx-warspite
10-01-2005, 07:34 PM
I'm going to suggest a different path from most people here. Once you get the basics down in offline mode, and I mean just the raw basics - how to fly, how to lead a target, how to take off and land, it's time to get online as soon as possible.

Step 1: Pick a server. I'd recommend 334th or AFJ because they don't force cockpits on.
Step 2: Try the aircraft out. Find the one you like.
Step 3: Come here and ask how to use it.

Every aircraft has its niche. There's usually something yours does better than your opponent. There are two kinds of fighters, in my experience. There are the general purpose kind which do everything well but nothing truly exceptionally (Lalas, Yaks, Spitfires tend to fall into this category - they're fast, they climb well, they dive decently), and then there are the specialists. Zeroes, P-51s, 190s, 109s. Zeroes will turn best, P-51s and 190s are insanely fast and dive very well, 109s are excellent climbers and beasts at fighting in the vertical. Now, I don't recommend the Zero at all because no one with half a brain is going to turn with it, while the other specialists have some sort of escape option. Also, depending on what KIND of specialist you choose, the general purpose fighters may be better. But those are specific match-ups not worth worrying about until you face them.

Personally, I'd recommend a La-7/La-5FN, Ki-84 or Spitfire. They're very forgiving, in general.

major_setback
10-02-2005, 05:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Flying_Nutcase:

[LIST]
<LI> Click on the 'Recorder' tab in the controller's Properties window (via Control Panel > Game Controllers, but I think you know that). I don't have a 'Recorder' tab, only 'Settings' and 'Test'.

I didn't have drivers for the MSFFB2, but XP does recognise exactly which joystick it is. When looking at the joysticks on ebay, sellers were recommending downloading the latest drivers. I've tried, and failed to do so. If this is what I need, can anyone tell me where to get them, or send me the drivers?

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I know, Microstuffed ought to be ashamed!! Try asking in the 'Community Help' forum aswell!

These links might solve the problem:

http://www.input-drivers.com/drivers/117/117787.htm

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/17241

This might also help. All of this is googled (untried):

http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=29064

http://www.driverforum.com/controller5/10123.html

Quote from the above site (note. for a different version stick):

'These drivers are already in WIN-XP. I had the same problem and after much research found that if you remove the hardware (Force Feedback, allow Windows to find it again and follow the Windows instructions. Windows will find the appropriate drivers and install them. I searched all over to find this information and finally someone on a FlightSim website came up with the answer. Microsoft sites were of no help on this...because naturally they want you to buy the latest version of the Force Feedback Stick.'

Triggaaar
10-02-2005, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by major_setback:

Try asking in the 'Community Help' forum aswell! I may have to do that.

These links might solve the problem:

http://www.input-drivers.com/drivers/117/117787.htm
Registered and downloaded. It says on the site it's for xp, but when you extract the zip, it says it's for Win2k http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Maybe I should just try it, but this sounds like a problem I saw many others having (through google searches).

I'll try, and then try your next recommendations

Ok, that didn't work - nor did removing the hardware and getting windows to search again.

Thanks for the links Major - unfortunately this one is a bit of a sod. I'll go to the community forum.

major_setback
10-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Let me know if you have any luck. I am interested in a driver update if you stumble across one!
You might start a new thread here as well, so that all the joystick experts come running (there are a few that regularly contribute here) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

-HH-Quazi
10-02-2005, 08:25 AM
And fly against humans from the get-go m8. The AI do not manuveur like a human pilot. And so not to get your **** handed to you quickly and therefore put a nic in your flight/learning time, get a m8 to just fly against you, allowing you to intercept and get on his six. Then try to stay glued to him. When you can stay glued to a human pilot, and learn how your ac shoots, then you will be ready for any online server on HL.

I would be glad to be the target drone. Just shoot me an email or a PM stating what time and time zone you can make it, and I will send you the HH TeamSpeak server info.

Triggaaar
10-02-2005, 12:19 PM
I've been trying LA5 '42 vs 3 BF 109 Gs '42 (chickened out of flying against 4 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)
I've won twice, but lost many many times. Staying on their 6 causes issues - ie, one of the others catches you - and when spinning all over the place, I seem poor at shooting them down. So to deflection shooting - I guess I can only improve. Watching the track that from Jumoschwanz is funny - he knew where every other plane was (don't you hate show-offs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) - when I fly, it's more down to luck.

Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
And fly against humans from the get-go m8. I'm sure this is good advice, but seriously, I need to be able to fly a bit.

get a m8 to just fly against you, allowing you to intercept and get on his six. Then try to stay glued to him. When you can stay glued to a human pilot, and learn how your ac shoots, then you will be ready for any online server on HL. I don't know anyone who flies sims. Only 2 of my friends play games at all.

I would be glad to be the target drone. Just shoot me an email or a PM stating what time and time zone you can make it, and I will send you the HH TeamSpeak server info. Seriously? That would be amazing - the kindness of people on this forum knows no limits. Would actually be nice for someone to look over our (newbies) shoulder, and give the odd comment on where we should improve first (enemy awareness, or retaining energy, or gunnery, etc). I can make any time really, as I work for myself, and choose my hours off.

Kuna15
10-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Hey Trigaaar count me in also if you like, for some online fun. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Maybe we can try out some manoeuvres like drag n bag and stuff. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Triggaaar
10-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Hey Trigaaar count me in also if you like, for some online fun. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Maybe we can try out some manoeuvres like drag n bag and stuff. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Cool, thanks. Anyone who'd like to 'teach' me something, by shooting me out of the sky, is more than welcome, but (there's always a but)...
there are rules http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif:
You may shoot me down
You may laugh
You may mock
but you HAVE to teach me something http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Shooting me down, laughing, and mocking, without teaching me, will lead to me having a sense of humour failure, and pathetically challenging you to something else, which I may have a chance at winning.

I've never been online for any PC game, so just let me know the web address to go to, any settings I need to change, and a time, and I'll be there.

I haven't set-up any headphones/microphone, which I assume would be useful - can I just use the basic xbox job?

Kuna15
10-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Trigaaar check your PM.

Triggaaar
10-02-2005, 05:20 PM
Likewise - I'm ready to fly, but I'm missing a microphone, so I can only listen - makes a change.

Triggaaar
10-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Well that was embarrasing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

(Winston voice) Never, have so many fighters, been shot down, by so few bombers.

FlatSpinMan
10-03-2005, 07:50 AM
Bit different on-line, isn't it? All this stuff coming at you from 6 high in a blur of flying lead. Then the screen goes black. Ha! Talk about laugh...!

Kuna15
10-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Well that was embarrasing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

(Winston voice) Never, have so many fighters, been shot down, by so few bombers.

Don't worry mate that was good. With practice you will become better and better.
You already know some good flying moves best thing you can do now is concentrate on gunnery. Practice in QMB a lot those slashing attacks from above on bomber formation.
That way you will learn also deflection shooting. Basically attack them from all sides except from their 6, and be on much higher speed than they are.

Basically every aircraft becomes easier target when you have significantly more speed than target aircraft.

<STRIKE>Also pick your favourite aircraft and fly it a low more than others that way you will learn faster.</STRIKE>
If you like Spitfire, I can reccomend that you watch some SlickStick moves. He is excellent Spitfire driver.

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">edit: Also pick your favourite aircraft and fly it a lot more than others that way you will learn faster.</span>

Triggaaar
10-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by FlatSpinMan:
Bit different on-line, isn't it? All this stuff coming at you from 6 high in a blur of flying lead. Then the screen goes black. Ha! Talk about laugh...! Fortunately that didn't happen, as it was only Kuna flying. I've now got to get that headset (plantronics usb job I think - trying to order now), as typing while flying was a pain - I kept switching my engine off when hitting i (I think I'll change the control for that to ctrl i or something).

While I like the Spitfire, I'd like to use the campaigns as well as qmb to learn (starting in the east), so I assume I'd be better choosing a russian plane at first - I'll go check out what aircraft options I have now - EDIT - looks like an LA7 in Berlin

Kuna15
10-03-2005, 12:50 PM
If you plan to switch on Spitfire someday, I would reccomend that you try Yak-3 out. It has 2ӔUB guns + one ShVAK cannon in the nose (or Yak-3P version; it has B20 cannons, somewhat better armament, B20s are similar to ShVAKs also 20mms).
Yak-3 maybe handles more like Spitfire than LA-7.
Anyway important thing is to fly what you like.

Of earlier Russian aircraft MiG-3U is excellent it exceeds Bf-109G-2 performance last time I checked; it's faster plane. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
MiG-3AM-38 is also very fast plane designed for low alt performance but it turns fair not excellent, so some turn fights with Friedrichs (Bf-109Fs) are not really reccomended. Also MiGs are not really some great machines in diving you gotta be carefull.
LaGG-3S4 is really durable plane and it has dream firepower 2ӔShKAS (7,62mm) 2ӔUB (12,7mm) and one ShVAK (20mm).

Of mid war types, LaGG-3S35, S66 and LA-5 are really good especially LA-5, it can hold its own against any German fighter it is only limited in dive and high altitude speed/performance.
About Yaks... with all respect, I was always rated Lavochkins as better fighters. But Yaks are also good fighters.
Of late ones, Yak-3/P and Yak-9U/UT are blast, but seems to me that 9U/UT isn't monster it used to be one patch ago. I can be wrong on this one, since I flew 9U only couple of times online vs Me-109s in 401 patch. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I liked Yak-9M and Yak-9T, both because of NS-37 cannon, you must select NS cannon it isn't default on 9M tho.

StellarRat
10-03-2005, 12:53 PM
Assuming you take off and land successfully the next most importand skill is aerial gunnery. Practice your deflection shooting a lot.

Triggaaar
10-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by StellarRat:
Assuming you take off and land successfully the next most importand skill is aerial gunnery. Practice your deflection shooting a lot. Take off hasn't been a problem, and landing has never been necessary http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (but I can land)

However, it appears my gunnery is bad even for a newbie - I've just tried shooting down 1 AI Ju (not from it's 6). What a palava! I'm awful! At least I know what to practice.

StellarRat
10-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Yep. All the fancy flying in the world doesn't make a difference if you can't hit the target. The deadiest players in this game are the ones that can hit consistently. Even a noob will occasionally get someone in their sights, but if you can't hit it doesn't make any difference.

Kuna15
10-03-2005, 04:23 PM
SR I completely agree with you. Gunnery is No1 neccesary skill to master in the sim if user likes to fly fighter planes.

That is precisely the main reason why i said that begginer should stuck with one plane, or at least with few planes with same weapons. Shooting from different guns in FB is not the same, they are very different, from rate of fire, firepower, muzzle velocity, recoil effects, quantity of ammo per gun, deflection space needed for deflection shots (shorter or larger, generally speaking it is easier to shoot with guns that have high rof and great muzle velocity).

For instance MK103 cannon (FW-190, GO-229) has great muzzle velocity for such large ammunition, one can relatively easy 'snipe' out enemy aircraft from distance. Unfortunately it needs more skill because RoF is isn't really high. But most of the times one hit means destruction of the target. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

StellarRat
10-03-2005, 05:04 PM
I forgot to mention option number two! If you can't hit anything no matter how much you practice you can always fly right up the enemies behind and fire when his plane fills your whole windscreen. This is works well too, if you don't crash into him. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kuna15
10-04-2005, 11:26 AM
@Triggaaar:

Originally posted by neural_dream:
Lavochkin La-7 (`44)
The La-7 was a variant of the La-5 with only a few minor differences. It is considered as the best Soviet piston-engined fighter of WW2 and probably the best overall fighter of the war at low and medium altitudes.
Max. speed: La-7/7 3xB20 600/612km/h at sea level and 680km/h at 6000m. Turn time 18-19s at 1000m.
Tips:
¦ Consider to start decreasing the fuel mix when over 3000m.
¦ The La-7 has two supercharger stages. Consider switching to stage 2 over around 3000m and definitely
before 4500m and switch back to stage 1 under that altitude. Lower than 1500m in stage 2 causes engine damage.
¦ The La-7 is significantly weaker at high altitudes and is generally slower than contemporary aircraft over 5000m.
¦ The La-7 is not a very good diver. If you follow a P-47 or a FW190 in a steep high-speed dive you risk falling apart; it will start losing parts before it reaches 800km/h.
Armament:
La-7: nose - 2x20mm ShVAK (200rpg/17sec)
La-7 3xB20: nose - 3x20mm B20s (left 150rpg/13sec, middle 150rpg/13sec, right 130rpg/11sec)

You have some good info about LA-7 supercharger as well as some other useful tips. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

neural_dream's cockpit reference:
http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/files/CockpitReferenceGuide1.zip
Excellent stuff that will help you. You will need Adobe Reader to view the file.

Triggaaar
10-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Thank you!

If the Yak is more like the Spit, I could go with that, but don't remember seeing campaigns with the Yak. I'll look again.

Kuna15
10-04-2005, 01:42 PM
In campaign mode of play you can choose between few different aircraft per one subcampaign (as shown on picture below). That is if you go with default (dynamic, stock campaigns). For custom ones (user made and 3rd parties) I don't know exactly, but I'm sure that we could dig some good Yak stuff up from airwarfare.com or flyinglegends etc... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif.

Basically you can fly Yak type in VVS fighter campaign all the way:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/Kuna15/Pacific_Fighters/fb_plane_selection.gif

About Yak handling more like Spitfire than LA series it certainly seems so from my PoV, but you must take note that Spitfire gunnery differs somewhat from LA or Yak gunnery simply because it has wing armament, while those VVS types all have nose armament.
Gun convergence actually plays important role in Spitfire gunnery while in LA or Yak does not plays so important role because those types have nose armament.
Gun convergence is ideal distance where the bullets are suppose to hit intended target.

Examples on Spitfire gunnery.
If you have gun convergence set to 200 meters, for best gunnery result you must wait untill enemy target close on 200m in your crosshair and then pull the trigger. If you have aimed for canopy, all bullet and cannon rounds will hit in canopy (ideal shot without recoil). If you have fired from too close or too far away some of your bullets / cannon rounds will miss target regardless of how good you have aimed and calculated lead/deflection. They can actually all hit enemy aircraft but hits wont be in the intended aircraft area.

Example:
If you are too close (distance 100m) and have aimed for enemy tail your bullets will end up in enemy aircraft wings.

All of those above mentioned gunnery issues are reduced on nose armed aircraft, but they are still present mostly due to different gun types equipped on same fighter, Yak-3 fighter has UBS machine guns and ShVAK (different muzzle velocity of guns/cannons).