PDA

View Full Version : No Icons....huh?

Cloud_Cat
04-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Hello again,

Quick question,

I've been mooching around hyperlobby and i'm noticing a lot of servers aren't using icons, even for friendly A/craft. I was just wondering if there is some sort of technique for flying on this type of game and being succesful. As opposed to me, who can't spot the enemy thats just about to lob a 20 thru my head.

Bearing in mind that even at the best of times i'm not a crash hot fighter chap, how do people fly these servers and get kills. (obvious talent apart).

Do i need a Thirty two inch monitor or sommat? Or are they just rock hard, bad *** flying dudes to which i don't have a prayer of matching?

Thanks in advance.

Btw, even though i'm **** i love Il2 et al.

Cloud_Cat
04-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Hello again,

Quick question,

I've been mooching around hyperlobby and i'm noticing a lot of servers aren't using icons, even for friendly A/craft. I was just wondering if there is some sort of technique for flying on this type of game and being succesful. As opposed to me, who can't spot the enemy thats just about to lob a 20 thru my head.

Bearing in mind that even at the best of times i'm not a crash hot fighter chap, how do people fly these servers and get kills. (obvious talent apart).

Do i need a Thirty two inch monitor or sommat? Or are they just rock hard, bad *** flying dudes to which i don't have a prayer of matching?

Thanks in advance.

Btw, even though i'm **** i love Il2 et al.

BaldieJr
04-07-2005, 03:38 PM
This is similar to "How do I keep up with my guys in single-player?!?".

Practice.

PS- Tracer color is a big-tipoff.

nickdanger3
04-07-2005, 04:13 PM
If it's any consolation, it's easier to escape without icons. So even that bad ***** ace will have a harder time foloowing you. Plus if you do the sneaking up, he dead.

Dumbo_AK32nd
04-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Salute, Cloud_Cat!

I don't fly HyperLobby all that much, but when I do, I much prefer the servers with everything turned off (except the speed bar...I'm lousy with the instrument panel lol). I started trying these servers after getting WAXED too many times on the servers that have padlocks and external views turned on. Like nickdanger3 said, it's easier to escape a bandit on your six in these servers IMO. I'm not meaning to start a flame war here...just stating personal preference.

Anyway, to answer your question...

The two things I find indispensable for this type of combat are 1) use of the gunsight view (a.k.a. "binocular" or "zoom" view) to double-check that bogey in the distance before engaging, and 2) TrackIR.

I use the gunsight view primarily for aircraft identification whenever I'm in doubt. I don't use it for gunnery because 1) I find it too disorienting to fly the airplane in this view, and 2) objects in gunsight view are FARTHER than they appear...making for a lousy shot, even though you're tempted to squeeze the trigger because the bandit looks like it's just SO CLOSE (when it's really not!).

As for TrackIR, once I started flying with it, I stopped using the in-cockpit padlocks completely and started flying exclusively without icons. Loads of fun and very intense in those big furballs!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ImpStarDuece
04-07-2005, 11:35 PM
The only major gripe I have with this sim is visibility, or the lack of it. Which in and of itself is a pretty serious gripe.

I just ran a 4 on 1 vs some ace A6M5s on the Okinawa QMB map. I was flying a Corsair so the usual (in fact pretty much only tactic) was to boom and zoom. Problem was that I couldn't see the buggers.

Every time I would loop up and over and begin a dive I would lose my target. Even staring straight at it all of a sudden the aircraft would be obscured by the background clutter. I would have to 'guess' where the target was headed and fly in that general direction, hoping that I will end up somewhere in the general viscinity.

My firm hope for future sims is a large scale alteration of the way aircraft are shown at medium range. I can see the dots fine (I run at 1024x768) and I can see the target when its getting into firing range. Its that 1.5-3 km period, particulaly against the background, that the target just vanishes. Larger LODs at range might be nice, or at the least a better background/foreground seperation.

I acknowledge that a flat monitor does a poor job of representing the view out of a cockpit. Still, I think something must be done. I can't outfly my opponents when I have no idea how they are reacting to me.

A small suggestion would be to implement a variation on the EAW 'box' icon. In EAW you could set it so that a target had a small box, coloured or not depending on the settings, that allowed you to see targets at longer ranges. At long range the box sourrounded the pixel representing the target. As the target got larger the box stayed the same, so got much smaller in comparison.

The current icon system in the serise gives too much information. I would like a completely icon setting, the only function of which is to inform me of the presence of aircraft around me. Not their identification, type, range or call sign. Just a little circle, square, rectangle or lopsideded dodecahedron that shows me where the other planes are.

Jettexas
04-08-2005, 01:14 AM
On the hairy-man servers you will really benefit tremendously using some form of
mouse-emulator(ie: NewView-or equivalent)mapped to the hat.
Or if you can swing it-Track IR (or even one of the other tracking software/freeware)

Standard Disclaimer-
Guys It not an advantage, you cant see anymore of the sky than anyone else.Its just smoother at panning and is certainly no advantage.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif. Ok with that out of the way...

Someone will likely be along shortly to say how wrong this is and about how they learned to use thier mouse "wrong" handed and all about how the default snap/pan views are just fine. And it was up hill both ways to school in the snow, and there were 10 of them living in a matchbox in the middle of a superhighway, and dad would get drunk and beat them to death with a coal shovel everynight, ressurect them at first light and send them off to school hungry...and that was the way it was and they liked it. Great. Cool.Im very impressed with thier dexterity and forebearance...

But for myself with my admittedly limited cognitive ability and hand eye response times measured in geological epochs- NewView brought "more" real servers into the realm of the "fairly do-able", and later track ir made it like breathing air. You really need to be able to track an opponent through a rolling scissors.

Oh and if you dont see Icons ANYWHERE you go ..? your "toggle Icon Types" key has been hit once too many lol...
S!