PDA

View Full Version : Mismarked rudder pedals $50!!! (bad ending)

SithSpeeder
03-12-2007, 07:34 PM
CompUSA is closing half its stores (including everything in the Phoenix metro area) so they are having a liquidation sale (in those stores). I scoped the place out and found not 1 but 2 pairs of Saitek Pro Pedals marked with a tag of $50. Not being a fool, I grabbed them both and went to checkout--the bar code brought up $150 each. The manager got called over, he cursed under his breath, checked the inventory computer, and offered to sell them to me at the "at-cost" price of $119, saying that was "the best he could do".

We stood there for a moment, I asked for a better price, and he said he couldn't so I walked.

I was hoping to get some pedals for my 8 year old son who is getting into IL2. Oh well--I knew it was too good to be true http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif .

* _54th_Speeder *

Chris0382
03-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Well here in CT if you put up a stink you would get them for $50 I think. Almost like a bait and switch but even worse. Go back and check them out again and see if they are back at $50.

VFS-214_Hawk
03-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Yeap, thats what I would do. If they are back at $50, you gottem!

-HH-Quazi
03-12-2007, 07:51 PM
I believe you could have forced the issue since they were marked at that price to sell. I have done this a couple times over the last few years. I told the manager(s) too damn bad, honor the sticker or I'll file a complaint with every organization available for me to do so, starting with his regional manager. Both of them honored the sticker price, HEHE.

I have a CompUSA in my area also. I believe I will mosey on down there and see if that store is one of the ones they may be closing. I have been there many times at many different times of day and it seemed to me that they weren't staying very busy at all. They do carry some pretty cool stuff for computer do it your selfers.

FE_pilot
03-12-2007, 07:54 PM
I wonder if i can do what Quazi said to get a new CPU or a new Video card?

Eagle_361st
03-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Actually I just walked out of the local Comp USA that is closing here with a shiny new CM Stacker St-01 for $59.99. I didn't really find anything else that was a staggering deal, but I am eyeing the 8800 GTS' they have waiting to see if they drop to 40% and I will get two of them.

Bearcat99
03-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Yeah... their attitude is "Im loosing my job so bite me... you think you got troubles... STFU.." I just bought a set of the Saiteks from there... Now I will have tp go all the way to Richmond or Maryland in 22 months to upgrade... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I think it is pretty idiotic. They closed 4 stores in Northern Va.... stupid move IMO. They should have left one open...

Stackhouse25th
03-12-2007, 09:07 PM
apparently you've never worked in retail. whenever this happens its at cost or nothing.

SithSpeeder
03-12-2007, 09:07 PM
I don't wanna be a p***k, but I'm almost feeling like I should go back and press the issue and get them to sell it to me for the marked price (they scratched the price tags off while I was standing there). Does anyone know the law?

44-1522. Unlawful practices; intended interpretation of provisions

A. The act, use or employment by any person of any deception, deceptive act or practice, fraud, false pretense, false promise, misrepresentation, or concealment, suppression or omission of any material fact with intent that others rely upon such concealment, suppression or omission, in connection with the sale or advertisement of any merchandise whether or not any person has in fact been misled, deceived or damaged thereby, is declared to be an unlawful practice.

B. The violation of chapter 9, article 16 or chapter 19, article 1 of this title is declared to be an unlawful practice and subject to enforcement under this article.

C. It is the intent of the legislature, in construing subsection A, that the courts may use as a guide interpretations given by the federal trade commission and the federal courts to 15 United States Code sections 45, 52 and 55(a)(1).

* _54th_Speeder *

XyZspineZyX
03-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Well up here in Canada there are laws that say that if an item is marked at a certain price, if the register spits out anything higher they HAVE to sell them to you at the price on the tag. What sucks in your case is that you cant really go back and try that since they removed the tags in front of you.

TC_Stele
03-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out the one near me.

Davinci..
03-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by SithSpeeder:
I don't wanna be a p***k, but I'm almost feeling like I should go back and press the issue and get them to sell it to me for the marked price (they scratched the price tags off while I was standing there). Does anyone know the law?

I wouldnt press the issue too much. People are human and make mistakes. I've worked in retail for just over 6 years, and been a manager for 3. Usually if a mistake is made(I dont think they were intentionally screwing people over) ill try and work something out for the customer as best I can. Which is what the manager did for you, he did knock $30 of the price for you, which was probably the best he could do. Sure its not $100 off, but he cant just give them away. And as I understand it he is under no obligation to, especially for something on a ticket or sticker. Because there would be nothing stopping cutomers from switching them(and they do, do this).
Now if they've got adds out in the paper and signs up on the street saying come on in, pedals for $50, and you get up to the register and its $150. Then ya you can do something about that.

Someone made a mistake(people make mistakes), and the manager did what he could($30 off aint bad). As long as if you dont go in there and still see $50 price points on them, then i'd leave it be. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The-Pizza-Man
03-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Similar thing happened over here once, someone at the dell online store mixed up a decimal place and had $160 HDs selling for $1.60. They tried to reverse the sales of them but the fair trading commission told them they had to honour the price. So a bunch of people got $1.60 HDs.

stansdds
03-13-2007, 04:10 AM
If the retailer does not honor the price as marked on the display or in an advertisement, then it is considered a bait and switch offense.

Chris0382
03-13-2007, 06:39 AM
Its just hard luck on their part and they have to accept the loss and be careful next time. Maybe someone could have switched tags and were planning to come back an hour or 2 later (with laws in hand)to buy them (possible) but thats why they have security cameras for etc. Out of all the stores, Walmart is good at understanding the laws in this regards (surprisingly).

MEGILE
03-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Having worked in a shop I know accidents happen...

someone not watching what they are doing can accidently mis-price an item.

I had the pleasure of dueling with customers of this issue many a time.
If they were nice I let them have it.. if they were doodoo heads, I told them to kindly go and whistle http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

capt_frank
03-13-2007, 08:01 AM
I picked up a Don Troiani Civil War print book at Barnes and Chernoble that was marked 33 cents. Of course, it should have been $33. The checkout clerk gave it a quick once over, shrugged his shoulders and rang it at 33 cents.

I used to be "a nice guy" and tell the checkout folks when things were obviously mismarked. No more, I figure if they (the store) can't do their job right, then who am I to tell them to the contrary.

3.JG51_BigBear
03-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Every state has consumer protection laws to prevent retail stores from marketing items at one price and selling them at another. The laws are written very broadly as their purpose is to protect the "poor little consumer." CompUSA had to sell you the pedals at $50 whether the manager understood that or not. It seems to be the unofficial company policy of many retailers to have their managers stall a couple of times before giving in. Its not really in most people's nature to make a fuss or cause a scene and when told "no" people tend to walk away.

BSS_AIJO
03-13-2007, 09:00 AM
hmm

I was at the local comp this weekend and the peddals were 10% off.. But I expect the number will get bigger.. Also they have like 6 sets of the things so.. I am not worried about them selling out on me.. During the last trip I managed to pick up a XaserBag, that way when I quit my current job I can carry my machine out easier. 8^)

As for Comp's sudden fire sale. I think with the way they were operating they were setting themselves up for it. They were a great place when they were focused on the comp part of the name.. But for the last couple of years they have been trying to be more like Best Buy.. So, they lost focus and customers. I am damm glad that I will be moveing to Chicago, and then have easy access to MicroCenter which blows compusa clean out of the water.

BSS_AIJO

Eagle_361st
03-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by BSS_AIJO:
hmm

I was at the local comp this weekend and the peddals were 10% off.. But I expect the number will get bigger.. Also they have like 6 sets of the things so.. I am not worried about them selling out on me.. During the last trip I managed to pick up a XaserBag, that way when I quit my current job I can carry my machine out easier. 8^)

As for Comp's sudden fire sale. I think with the way they were operating they were setting themselves up for it. They were a great place when they were focused on the comp part of the name.. But for the last couple of years they have been trying to be more like Best Buy.. So, they lost focus and customers. I am damm glad that I will be moveing to Chicago, and then have easy access to MicroCenter which blows compusa clean out of the water.

BSS_AIJO

I agree I do most of my shopping at Microcenter, if you are smart and watch their sales they usually beat anyone on the net for prices.

Bearcat99
03-13-2007, 03:12 PM
So uhhhhhhh Sean... when ya coming back to Hyperlobby man?

Eagle_361st
03-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:

Hopefully very soon brother. I am still on the look out for a HOTAS/Pedals setup locally (read COMPUSA to lower prices some more), and I need IL2 46 also need to order locally. I have a PO box so buying online and shipping is very difficult for me now thus why I need to be able to go pick up at a store. Once I have those two/three things I will be terrorizing the virtual skies in my beloved Jug once again. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Copperhead310th
03-13-2007, 05:59 PM
-:Click Here:- for a list of Comp UAS stores closing in the next 45 to 60 days (http://www.compusa.com/locations/closing_stores.asp)

Sadly there are none in my Area. & the only one i even know of in the state is in Hoover,Al (Metro Birmingham Area). I'm in Iron dale every other week, and have to go right through hoover on the way there & back. that sux.

If anyone does actually get a find of Pro-Pedls for $50.00 grab mea freaking pair, i'll pay ya 60.00 for em plus shipping. PLEEEASE> lol

Copperhead310th
03-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Eagle_361st:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:

Hopefully very soon brother. I am still on the look out for a HOTAS/Pedals setup locally (read COMPUSA to lower prices some more), and I need IL2 46 also need to order locally. I have a PO box so buying online and shipping is very difficult for me now thus why I need to be able to go pick up at a store. Once I have those two/three things I will be terrorizing the virtual skies in my beloved Jug once again. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey eagle, shoot me a pm with your email address.

Eagle_361st
03-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Copperhead310th:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eagle_361st:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:

Hopefully very soon brother. I am still on the look out for a HOTAS/Pedals setup locally (read COMPUSA to lower prices some more), and I need IL2 46 also need to order locally. I have a PO box so buying online and shipping is very difficult for me now thus why I need to be able to go pick up at a store. Once I have those two/three things I will be terrorizing the virtual skies in my beloved Jug once again. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey eagle, shoot me a pm with your email address. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PM sent http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

MarkSynthesis
03-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Megile:
Having worked in a shop I know accidents happen...

someone not watching what they are doing can accidently mis-price an item.

I had the pleasure of dueling with customers of this issue many a time.
If they were nice I let them have it.. if they were doodoo heads, I told them to kindly go and whistle http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

My experience in retail taught me this: you might go through two-hundred customers in a shift, but you've got one manager.

So, regardless of whether it's just an abrupt price change or an obvious mistake, I'd rather deal with an upset customer throwing a hissy-fit and threatening to call my manager than having my manager barking at me for selling, say, a $200 hard disc for $20. As far as managements concerned, being a hated cashier is a small price to pay for saving the store $180.

Now, if it's between $45 and $35, that's when it's okay to try and make the customer happy.

Dr2GunzOD
03-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Im sad to say Ive 3 compusa's closing (St Louis). I didnt find anything that would be a deal for me yet. Most everything was 10% off. I was hoping to find a cougar hotas/lcd/mouse/keyboard at a good deal. I will have to keep checking on the cougar. The CSR indicated that they would adjust the prices once a week. Good luck to any bargin hunters.

~S~

Copperhead310th
03-14-2007, 07:51 PM
gee closeing half thier stores....hmmm wonder whats up with that. Like all things in big business, there was a reason for this desciton good or band a choice was made. Profets were being lost some where. but i have to ask my self one question nowadays when i see some thing like this happening.....
"I just wonder how much f*cking money thier fast *** CEO was making?"