PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried modifying a CH Fighterstick?

El Turo
04-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Just bought one and have enjoyed it over the last few weeks but one of my only reservations about it is the placement of the 8-hat and the secondary fire button above the two 4-hats located below them on the face of the stick.

Has anyone attempted to swap out the 8-hat and the 4-hat below it? I find it a bit cumbersome (not overly so, but just enough to be a little annoying) to reach over the 4-way hat to use the 8-way, and then reach over for the secondary fire... and I've got fairly large hands as a 6'6" guy.

I was wondering if anyone has ever swapped these two hats out before (or if it's even possible), or if it's just a matter of sucking it up and getting used to it over the long haul.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/354.gif

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL

El Turo
04-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Just bought one and have enjoyed it over the last few weeks but one of my only reservations about it is the placement of the 8-hat and the secondary fire button above the two 4-hats located below them on the face of the stick.

Has anyone attempted to swap out the 8-hat and the 4-hat below it? I find it a bit cumbersome (not overly so, but just enough to be a little annoying) to reach over the 4-way hat to use the 8-way, and then reach over for the secondary fire... and I've got fairly large hands as a 6'6" guy.

I was wondering if anyone has ever swapped these two hats out before (or if it's even possible), or if it's just a matter of sucking it up and getting used to it over the long haul.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/354.gif

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL

RevvinUK
04-27-2004, 01:23 PM
From past conversations with Michael at CH Products the POV hat is a 4 way hat but mechanically it can hit the left and up positions etc to give you the 8 possible ways but the hat underneath can only work in 4 directions, you'd have to do a lot of modding inside the stick most likely to swap the mechanisms. Some users have used modelling foam to craft a fillet to go around the base of the stick to raise their hand slightly higher and others have used a piece of pipe insulation foam cut to suit the base of the handle to raise their hand slightly.

Revvin

The CH Hangar - Profiles, scripting ideas and discussion for CH users (http://www.ch-hangar.com)

BuzzU
04-27-2004, 01:49 PM
I agree it's the only part of the CH sticks that's not user friendly.

I use trackIR, so I don't need a hat switch for views. I use the hat switch for things I don't need to get at often like lights and start engines etc. I also use the CH Throttle, and if I did need a hat switch for views. I would use the one on the throttle. It's very comfortable to use. I use it for prop pitch now.

The secondary fire button is a joke to try and reach. Once again iuse it for something I don't want to hit by accident. In my case that's bail out. I use a button on the throttle for secondary fire when i need it, but most of the time I put all the guns on the trigger, and get close for short bursts.

I haven't been much help except maybe to show the advantage of getting the Pro Throttle too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buzz
http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/foto/anderson9.jpg

horseback
04-27-2004, 08:30 PM
The hard to reach POV hat seems to be a hallmark for CH sticks--my Combatstick has the same problem, but I just assigned POV to the Throttle hat, and use the stick POV hat for rudder and elevator trim. On the plus side, the cannon button is a single button, and I love it the way it is (but at five-nine, I bet my meat hooks aren't in the same class as yours...).

cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944