PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Awards and Medals

gothsword
04-05-2005, 02:49 AM
Hello Everyone

I hope things are going well. Today my question is in PF does everyone think that some of the Japanese Awards are wrong. They did have Medals and honors.
But for the most part the awards given in PF are a little cheesy if not standard issue equipment for Japanese Officers. and one thing that should never have been made a award is a nambu Pistol. Most Japanese flight officers actualy bought there own pistols.
I just wondered what others might think of this. Take care.

gothsword
04-05-2005, 02:49 AM
Hello Everyone

I hope things are going well. Today my question is in PF does everyone think that some of the Japanese Awards are wrong. They did have Medals and honors.
But for the most part the awards given in PF are a little cheesy if not standard issue equipment for Japanese Officers. and one thing that should never have been made a award is a nambu Pistol. Most Japanese flight officers actualy bought there own pistols.
I just wondered what others might think of this. Take care.

han freak solo
04-05-2005, 08:15 AM
I don't know if getting a firearm as an award was historically correct. But, I sure would like to receive one as an award!!

As far as Japanese awards, weren't they supposedly given swords throughout their history as awards? If so, the Nambu pistol would just be a modernization of the award process.

alichino
04-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Here are a couple of links
Medals 1 (http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-medals/jap_medals-ww2.htm)
Medals 2 (http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-medals/jap_medals.htm)

As for swords and weapons in general given as awards. This is highly possible. Although I carry rank in the bujinkan and have studied iaijutsu, I don't have any particular experience in this matter.
One thing that should be recognized, swords take months, sometimes years, to prefect. And a japan sword is a spiritual instrument, believed, according to legend to have been one of the three gifts brought to earth by the gods. That makes them pretty important.

A small aside thought, during WWII, katana's were mass produced in factories for officers. Thus making them nothing more than cheap show pieces.