PDA

View Full Version : Recon missions in SBDs?

DarkWolf29
03-31-2006, 12:48 AM
I started a Coral Sea campaign flying SBDs, and my first two missions have been recon. But I get intercepted by 3 zeros everytime.

What am I expected to do? Dogfight them!? I tried calling for help but am told no fighters are in the area. I've done lots of recon missions in F3Fs and been intercepted, but it's not a prob when in a fighter. Does anyone have any tips on what to do?

DW

Foxtrot-Hotel
03-31-2006, 03:41 AM
turn as much as you can, and try to get a good shot... when they get close, but miss, give them a punch with your reargunner, but keep tuning all the time... put your gunner to manual control, and switch positions, or the Ai will waste the ammo...

PBNA-Boosher
03-31-2006, 05:06 AM
Historically SBD's could give Zekes a real rough time with a good pilot at the controls. And those tailgun twin .30's, while they don't seem like much, light up the Zeros easily.

Foxtrot-Hotel
03-31-2006, 07:33 AM
thats the point you can work with, the twin .30's are the nightmare for every japanese plane-front... engines and tanks light up so easyly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

HotelBushranger
03-31-2006, 07:41 AM
No DONT turn against Zeros. They are one of the turniest planes, so they'll jst get under you and you won't be able to use your tail gunner. Use the SBD's weight and dive.

SnapdLikeAMutha
03-31-2006, 08:05 AM
Historically tight formations of SBD were tough for Zeros to tackle, very much more so than the slower and more vulnerable TBD (Devastator)

OD_79
03-31-2006, 08:08 AM
You have to break hard, dive use the air brakes, they over shoot so you either run the opposite direction or shoot them, works well for me, it can trun quite well, obviously not as well as the Zero, but you can get them. Just don't sit still, and try and keep them in the field of fire for the rear gunner the rest of the time.

OD.

Foxtrot-Hotel
03-31-2006, 10:25 AM
No DONT turn against Zeros. They are one of the turniest planes, so they'll jst get under you and you won't be able to use your tail gunner. Use the SBD's weight and dive.

it is offline campaign, and sitting still is the worst that you can do against the AI, a good turn into the right direction, in the right time, can save you evryday against AI... a climbturn with following dive helps me often to, but don't sit still, and diving to the deck only wors once, then you run out of sky...

DarkWolf29
03-31-2006, 01:01 PM
Ok, thanks for the tips guys, I'll give it a try.

Are the AI gunners that bad though? I mean, that I should be doing the flying and gunnery myself?

DW

OD_79
03-31-2006, 01:05 PM
You can try and fly and shoot at the same time but everything is backwards! You'll probably end up stalling, putting it in a spin and crashing and burning! The AI isn't great, unless it is shooting at you!!! Strange that they never seem to defend you plane very well but a soon as you go for an AI bomber it takes out your engine with one shot! Anyway that was a bit OT! Your best bet it to time you breaks, use the odd dive get some speed up hit the dive breaks and yank the stick back, watch them go past.

OD.

Divine-Wind
03-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
Historically SBD's could give Zekes a real rough time with a good pilot at the controls. And those tailgun twin .30's, while they don't seem like much, light up the Zeros easily.
Anything lights up a Zero. Even those darned 50 Cal ******s will make their eyes water.

The only tips I can give you are to try and keep up your speed (especially now with the quirky AI physics), and let a burst of rounds go if you can get a shot on a Zero. Also, I think if you let the AI fly (with you manning the twin .30s), then YOUR plane gets the uber-awesome E retaining physics. But I'm not entirely sure about that.

Zeus-cat
03-31-2006, 04:04 PM
I have better solution - play my "Straight Down" campaign I found the in-game SBD campaign very repetitive and not much fun so I made my own.