PDA

View Full Version : 1C Devs...Can we talk about Navagation?

DRB_Hookech0
11-19-2004, 11:55 AM
First off, This is not a rant. I am loving PF. I did run into a problem the other night with navagating in full real (no map icons, or paths, etc..)

Flight (4-F4U-1D's on Midway map) was on waypoint and we got into a big bounce (furball). Ok so the flight breaks up in the attack. Eventually, I go winchester (no more BB's) and I leave the fight. I find my flight lead (Red Leader) heading home with a fuel leak. He goes down when the gas runs out. Now here is the problem...only the flight leads can change the waypoint headings as shown on our Reapeter compasses.

Ok so flight lead goes down. I call the ship for a vector home...I get "090, good luck". So I head out on 090, and fly forever it seems. I keep getting a heading update every few minutes, still 090. Then I get 120. Ok I passed the ship....hmmmm, nothing in the water. Heading check...180, then 090, then 150, then 120....on and on. Point is I'm getting turned as if I'm overflying the carrier but there is no carrier.

Meanwhile, the other 2 member of the flight continued on the other 3 waypoints after the furball and when they hit the last waypoint from home...they called and got 090. That heading took them home.

Me? I'm doing circles over the open ocean when I see Midway off to my north (Midway in this COOP is in Japanese hands) and I know we launched from North-North East of Midway. So all those directions to home flew me way, way south. I had to duck around Midway and the flak therein, and finally made it home, where my plane ran out of gas taxiing forward.

So after the mission I went in and opened the COOP in FMB, and yep from the last waypoint, a heading of 090 would have got me home. The problem was that I didnt make it to the last waypoint (7 in total) and being as I was out of ammo that would not be prudent. Also if I was trying to limp home I would not be flying every waypoint. Again only flight leads can change the waypoint (I guess this is the case, as only they have the "next nav point" option in the chat)

In the ETO or eastern front if a pilot was lost he could look out of the window and find a bend in the river or a town etc. and then find his location (within reason) on the map. He would then use dead reckoning to get home. In game we cant really use dead reckoning because we dont get a briefing of waypoint headings, alt, distance etc.

I guess I'm asking that each pilot should be able to cycle thru the waypoints on his own if needed OR he needs to be able to cycle to the LAST (normalfly) waypoint and then continue home.

PinkPriest
11-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Interesting. In my offline FN campaign, I never finished all waypoints before heading home, and the "Request Vector Home" command always gave me the correct heading to the carrier. And I wasn't flight leader either.

ElmerFuddGantry
11-19-2004, 06:35 PM
I fly without a flightpath or icons most of the time and usually have no problems offline, as I can call control for a vector. On the lobby, it can be a different story altogether. I'd like this ability online, if it is in historically realistic context, ie. there is a radar or ground controller meant to be in the area. I also remember reading Lt Cmdr Tom Blackburn's (USN) book about VF-17 Jolly Rogers and their Corsairs. He mentions something called "hayrake" or YE homing gear. A morse letter was assigned to each 15 degree segment of the 360 degree of the circle. A lost pilot could listen for a particular morse letter and strength of the signal. Anyway, it might be something that could be explored in the game.

WWSensei
11-20-2004, 05:47 AM
The in game map should have one additional option and that is showing the flight path and waypoints WITHOUT the plane icon.

I know of no pilot who didn't mark key points on his route.

For bombers it would be nice as well if either during the briefing or in the map key waypoint info like YOUR ALTITUDE and AIRSPEED were indicated.

If you are flight lead you have no current way of knowing what altitude or rendevous point you are supposed to hit without cracking open the mission in FMB...

LEBillfish
11-20-2004, 10:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WWSensei:
The in game map should have one additional option and that is showing the flight path and waypoints WITHOUT the plane icon.

I know of no pilot who didn't mark key points on his route.

For bombers it would be nice as well if either during the briefing or in the map key waypoint info like YOUR ALTITUDE and AIRSPEED were indicated.

If you are flight lead you have no current way of knowing what altitude or rendevous point you are supposed to hit without cracking open the mission in FMB... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed except I'd like to see it as a new area added to the FMB to generate it, and in game this pop-up command much like map would show.
1. Map + Route
2. Briefing
3. Clipnotes for altitudes, meet points etc.
4. Possibly Friendly aircraft routes (ex. the bombers you are supposed to meet)
5. designated target area's
6. any other info they might want to add (recon'd AAA positions, enemy operation area's etc.)

Granted, it would mean much more work for those building missions to generate that for each flight, but if they could copy and paste the info from the full mission (ex. add A,B,C routes, add x, y targets, add 1,3 enemy base, etc.)

Yet even just to see the briefing page would be a help......All static, no moving icons or anything, just a firm set document.

Reason I say in game as to print off the screen while in IL2 bogs many systems down having to use resources to run the printer and associated programs.