PDA

View Full Version : Post games commentary

Corun
11-22-2003, 06:04 AM
Well I've finally finished Uru Prime as of last night, 21 November. Ok, so I'm not as fast on the uptake as some of you and I don't have as much time to sit in front of the computer, having to work a day job and all. And nevermind the frequent breaks as my old body stiffens up from prolonged sitting in the chair, or a headache comes on from the onset of motion sickness because I'm moving too fast around an Age. So it took me a week, and I have to admit that I had to use a walkthrough for some of it. All that having been said...

I found the game overall fascinating. I found some of the puzzles way too frustrating (damn those fireflies anyway). I found that with the limited use of the avatars body all the physical aspects of solving the puzzles took away a lot of the enjoyment. Body soccer is not my idea of fun. If there's going to be this much climbing and jumping and moving of objects I want the use of my hands, a backpack with climbing gear (pitons, ropes, etc.) and a flashlight. Definitely a flashlight. If it were really me on such a quest a flashlight would be the first thing I pack. Or at the very least a spelunker's helmet and carbide lamp (but I'll settled for the use of my hands). And Loriendil, I'm with you on the heights issue. It's a testament to the quality of the graphics that even sitting in front of a monitor I got a touch of vertigo walking that pipe on Kadish Tolesha, or standing on the ramps of Gahreesan. Thank goodness for emergency linking.

I am honestly looking forward to further exploration of the Ages I've accumulated in the game so far, including going back to the Cleft(s) for more chats with Yeesha and Zandi (are they going to get David Ogden Stiers to play Zandi in the online game too? That would rock). But I really hope that the physical puzzles get cut way back. I don't really want to waste my time playing soccer with a traffic cone just to finish a puzzle. As mentioned above I don't have the time to sit in front of the computer eight hours a day and I'm not as agile as the fellow who claimed to have finished the game in three hours. I am also looking forward to how the story plays out, who takes which side in what I believe is a coming conflict between the DRC, the Yeesha Faction, and Doug Sharper. A conflict which we will all play some part in.

So, to finish I have a couple of questions.

1) I got all the Yeesha pages for my Relto, and they're all active. The only thing I haven't seen is the roof change. I know that's active because it's bright green, but the roof is still tattered. It doesn't appear to have changed at all. What's up with that? And what's the point of the sticks and stones?

2) Who the heck are the Bahro? At first I thought the Bahro were a faction of D'ni? By the end of the game I'd figured out they were some other race as I wathed weird figures scramble back into the volcano. But I don't recall any mention of them in any of the journals I pcked up and I'm pretty sure I found and read all of those.

That's about all I can think of for now. I may come up with others in time. I look forward to getting into D'ni. Hope to see you there.

Corun

"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read." - G. Marx

Corun
11-22-2003, 06:04 AM
Well I've finally finished Uru Prime as of last night, 21 November. Ok, so I'm not as fast on the uptake as some of you and I don't have as much time to sit in front of the computer, having to work a day job and all. And nevermind the frequent breaks as my old body stiffens up from prolonged sitting in the chair, or a headache comes on from the onset of motion sickness because I'm moving too fast around an Age. So it took me a week, and I have to admit that I had to use a walkthrough for some of it. All that having been said...

I found the game overall fascinating. I found some of the puzzles way too frustrating (damn those fireflies anyway). I found that with the limited use of the avatars body all the physical aspects of solving the puzzles took away a lot of the enjoyment. Body soccer is not my idea of fun. If there's going to be this much climbing and jumping and moving of objects I want the use of my hands, a backpack with climbing gear (pitons, ropes, etc.) and a flashlight. Definitely a flashlight. If it were really me on such a quest a flashlight would be the first thing I pack. Or at the very least a spelunker's helmet and carbide lamp (but I'll settled for the use of my hands). And Loriendil, I'm with you on the heights issue. It's a testament to the quality of the graphics that even sitting in front of a monitor I got a touch of vertigo walking that pipe on Kadish Tolesha, or standing on the ramps of Gahreesan. Thank goodness for emergency linking.

I am honestly looking forward to further exploration of the Ages I've accumulated in the game so far, including going back to the Cleft(s) for more chats with Yeesha and Zandi (are they going to get David Ogden Stiers to play Zandi in the online game too? That would rock). But I really hope that the physical puzzles get cut way back. I don't really want to waste my time playing soccer with a traffic cone just to finish a puzzle. As mentioned above I don't have the time to sit in front of the computer eight hours a day and I'm not as agile as the fellow who claimed to have finished the game in three hours. I am also looking forward to how the story plays out, who takes which side in what I believe is a coming conflict between the DRC, the Yeesha Faction, and Doug Sharper. A conflict which we will all play some part in.

So, to finish I have a couple of questions.

1) I got all the Yeesha pages for my Relto, and they're all active. The only thing I haven't seen is the roof change. I know that's active because it's bright green, but the roof is still tattered. It doesn't appear to have changed at all. What's up with that? And what's the point of the sticks and stones?

2) Who the heck are the Bahro? At first I thought the Bahro were a faction of D'ni? By the end of the game I'd figured out they were some other race as I wathed weird figures scramble back into the volcano. But I don't recall any mention of them in any of the journals I pcked up and I'm pretty sure I found and read all of those.

That's about all I can think of for now. I may come up with others in time. I look forward to getting into D'ni. Hope to see you there.

Corun

"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read." - G. Marx

Corun
11-22-2003, 06:09 AM
Sorry to reply to my own thread but I just remembered one other thing I found puzzling. In the walkthrough I used the fellow mentioned being able to either fall into the abyss from the Bahro cave to get back to Relto, or to link back using the Relto book. Except that my Relto book wouldn't link. The main panel was always a swirling cloud and not functional from the Bahro cave. And there's a book on my shelf with the same thing, though the second page has a link back to the Baron's office on D'ni. What's up with that? Was anyone able to use their Relto book in the Bahro cave? Is this a feature of the game that makes each game tailor made for the individual? Or is it a bug?

Corun