PDA

View Full Version : Why no paper manual?

DeepUltra
01-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Why was Assassin's Creed Brotherhood released without an proper manual. It's got an in-game manual, but (call me old-fashioned) I want a proper paper manual.

You say that you're trying to do your bit for the environment, but sadly you have failed. Ok, the game didn't come with a full paper manual, but it did come on a non-biodegradable DVD in a plastic non-biodegradable box. Sure, these can be recycled, but they're still non-biodegradable.

Ubisoft aren't going to 'save the planet' by not printing a manual for one or their games. While it was a nice gesture, it was also a weak one. Next time, just print a proper manual... Please!

itsamea-mario
01-04-2011, 01:15 PM
I thought it was a bit strange that it was all just controls, but then again i suppose that is the Real point of the instruction manual.
But the manuals from the other games were kinda cool, what with all the little annotations and all.

ZCherub
01-04-2011, 01:51 PM
BURN IN HELL YOU TREE MURDURING FASCIST!!! Nah - it probably just worked out to be cheaper than printing all of them so Ubi saved a few bucks. Doesn't really bug me. *shrug*

ninja_7_7
01-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Save money why else?

Ass4ssin8me
01-04-2011, 02:06 PM
They, didn't help save the enviroment, eh? Think of how many copies they make of the game.

Have say 10 or more pages in the manual 10 * 10000000...
How many trees did Ubi save? Stop being selfish and think of the bigger picture...

dchil279
01-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Ass4ssin8me:
They, didn't help save the enviroment, eh? Think of how many copies they make of the game.

How many trees did Ubi save? Stop being selfish and think of the bigger picture...
you're right they saved 5 trees

LaCava1
01-04-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't know why everyone is saying this... Mine came with a proper manual.

itsamea-mario
01-04-2011, 03:03 PM
What with information other than controls?

dchil279
01-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by triforceman5:

I think collector's edition did but the regular didn't

itsamea-mario
01-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Codex edition didn't.

LaCava1
01-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by dchil279:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by triforceman5:

I think collector's edition did but the regular didn't </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I got the standard edition, though.

Caligula__
01-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by triforceman5:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dchil279:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by triforceman5:

I think collector's edition did but the regular didn't </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I got the standard edition, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got Codex and I got the manual

It's really nothing special, 16 pages. Page 1-3, 15 have just plain white pages. Page 4-14 have an animus style background

Page 1 (Front cover): Standard Brotherhood thing, Ezio with the multiplayer characters
Page 2: Health Warnings
Page 3: Parental Controls
Page 4: Saving the environment, a picture of a PS3 remote and the difference between high and low profile
Page 5: Low Profile moves on the ground, barely any text and in a table
Page 6: High Profie moves on the ground and Low Profile fight moves
Page 7: High Profile fight moves, Factions, Low Profile in water, and I'm guessing High Profile in water, even though it says Low Profile in water
Page 8: Low Profile on horse while sitting (says High Profile), High Profile on horse while sitting and High Profile on horse while standing
Page 9: Parachute, Machine Gun, Gondola and Naval Cannon controls
Page 10: Tank, Cannon and Multiplayer controls
Page 11: Notes
Page 12: Uplay website
Page 13: Technical Support
Page 14: Warranty
Page 15: Customer Service Phone numbers
Page 16 (back cover): Uplay again)

Then there's a little slip of paper promoting "Assassin's Creed Brotherhood by Oliver Bowden"

Ass4ssin8me
01-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by dchil279:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ass4ssin8me:

you're right they saved 5 trees </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is alot considering rainforests are 75% less than they originally were on this earth. If everyone had the additude, oh well 5 less trees who cares? Then we would have none. Its people like you who kill the Earth.

obliviondoll
01-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't mind only having an online manual.

I DO mind that there's almost no info on multiplayer in the manual, and the tutorial for MP is no more informative.

Want this fixed more than a printed copy.

Neo_Age
01-04-2011, 05:41 PM
The lack of manual is annoying but the big thing that erks me was the crappy plastic dvd contrainer that has huge slots cut specficly where the dvd goes, so that if something just sharp enough to cut the plastic sleeve and gloss paper could damage the disk.

ninja_7_7
01-04-2011, 06:10 PM

Think of how much money they saved. And money > environment. Sorry but its true to most companies.

DeepUltra
01-04-2011, 06:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dchil279:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ass4ssin8me:

Which is alot considering rainforests are 75% less than they originally were on this earth. If everyone had the additude, oh well 5 less trees who cares? Then we would have none. Its people like you who kill the Earth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What gets me, is people, like you who think they can save the planet by saving 5 trees. Ubisoft should have printed a better manual. So what if they cut down 10,000 trees. They can plant 10,000 more!

The point was, they said they didn't print a manual because they wanted to do their bit for the environment, when anyone with a brain can really see that the true reason was that they wanted to make more profit.

If Ubisoft really wanted to help the environment, they should not print any manuals for any of their games in future, as well as starting a huge campaign and putting pressure on the likes of, EA, Rockstar Games, Bethesda, 2K games, Lionhead Studios, and all the other game producers to follow their lead.

Come on Ubisoft... come up with a good idea, and have the faith to really try and launch it!

P.s I'm a member of 'Friends of the Earth' so I do try to do my bit.

Ass4ssin8me
01-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by DeepUltra:

Which is alot considering rainforests are 75% less than they originally were on this earth. If everyone had the additude, oh well 5 less trees who cares? Then we would have none. Its people like you who kill the Earth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What gets me, is people, like you who think they can save the planet by saving 5 trees. Ubisoft should have printed a better manual. So what if they cut down 10,000 trees. They can plant 10,000 more!

The point was, they said they didn't print a manual because they wanted to do their bit for the environment, when anyone with a brain can really see that the true reason was that they wanted to make more profit.

If Ubisoft really wanted to help the environment, they should not print any manuals for any of their games in future, as well as starting a huge campaign and putting pressure on the likes of, EA, Rockstar Games, Bethesda, 2K games, Lionhead Studios, and all the other game producers to follow their lead.

Come on Ubisoft... come up with a good idea, and have the faith to really try and launch it!

P.s I'm a member of 'Friends of the Earth' so I do try to do my bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No we, can't save the Earth with 5 trees. But every little bit counts. Also, are you that naive to think they are going to plant 10 thousand tree? As others have stated it is, about the money, yet that dosn't change the fact they still saved some trees. And it isn't just the trees. Even if it were just 1 tree they need for all the manuals they still use oil, and un-renewable re-sources to make the paper, not to mention the green house gases that causes.

Would you rather a proper manual or Cooler weather, and cheaper petrol?

DannyStrong
01-04-2011, 09:07 PM
I know not having a paper manual was more about cutting costs than saving the trees. But either way who cares. It's fun flipping through the paper manual when you first get the game. But unless it's a very complex or detailed game theres no reason to have the information on paper as if you need to refer back to it.

It would however be nice if they did a better job explaining the multiplayer in some fashion. After reading the manual and playing the intro mission you still don't really know how to play the game well. It's more of a trial and error thing. Which I don't mind. Just it's annoying playing with teamates who don't know how to play. They should have considered a more indepth tutorial mission that does more than just explain what the HUD means.

Warforger
01-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by DeepUltra:
Why was Assassin's Creed Brotherhood released without an proper manual. It's got an in-game manual, but (call me old-fashioned) I want a proper paper manual.

You say that you're trying to do your bit for the environment, but sadly you have failed. Ok, the game didn't come with a full paper manual, but it did come on a non-biodegradable DVD in a plastic non-biodegradable box. Sure, these can be recycled, but they're still non-biodegradable.

Ubisoft aren't going to 'save the planet' by not printing a manual for one or their games. While it was a nice gesture, it was also a weak one. Next time, just print a proper manual... Please!

It's nice to have the paper one since console and computer controls take longer to navigate without the help of search bars, but otherwise it isn't really useful. You'll just have to live with it.

StrangelovePhD
01-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Neo_Age:
The lack of manual is annoying but the big thing that erks me was the crappy plastic dvd contrainer that has huge slots cut specficly where the dvd goes, so that if something just sharp enough to cut the plastic sleeve and gloss paper could damage the disk.

Don't stab your DVD cases?

I don't know about you, but my DVDs and games are on a shelf away from anything even remotely sharp, neatly stacked one on top of the other.

Also, who really cares about paper manuals? I don't think I've actually ready one since the Sega Genesis days and I know I'm in the majority. Most games these days have a pretty comprehensive tutorial built into the game which means anything more than the very basic of controls doesn't need to be in a pamphlet most people don't read.

Yes, it saved a few trees and yes I'm glad Ubisoft decided to do away with the paper manual.

DeanOMiite
01-04-2011, 10:02 PM
one advantage to having the manual exist on the disc is that Ubisoft can update it themselves if they make any significant changes. For examples...Gears of War 2 for XBox 360 has released 6 title updates, and now the game doesn't play the way the manual says it does, which is weird and, more importantly, confusing to new players. So to me, I'm sure the main reason is to save money, but this reason makes me think it's more practical to have the manual on the disc.

flyingeaglemile
01-05-2011, 12:17 AM
This game doesn`t need a manual, you just spam the attack button and kill everyone around you.

DeepUltra
01-12-2011, 04:58 AM
Did I forget to mention that I can't take my Xbox and TV into the loo when I'm sitting on the throne! So what good is an in-game manual. Plus, if I'm on the loo and I haven't got any thing to read, I'll just start playing with myself... and that will lead to blindness.

So come on Ubisoft. For the sake of my vision, print game manuals.