PDA

View Full Version : Graphical differences?

sk065
05-10-2005, 05:10 AM
Hi, I have AEP but I'm pondering whether to buy PF. One thing i'd like to ask is whether oleg updated the overall graphics engine. e.g. are water graphics better in AEP and PF or are they just updated in PF. Also, Will we be seeing any major overhall of the 109 or FW pits in terms of graphics in the future because IMO they arnt as nice as some of the third party pits out there in the expansion.
Keep up the good work Oleg

Fennec_P
05-10-2005, 05:50 AM
As far as the engine goes, the water looks a lot nicer (nice bumpmapped waves and reflections). Other than that, the terrain and trees look about the same. Options for denser cloud cover will be out in the next patch. Blown dust looks slightly different.

The PF planes and cockpits look better in general than the IL-2/FB/AEP ones, and even more so with ground units and ships (more detail, and crew).

Existing planes and cockpits remain unchanged from their original versions.

I'd suggest perusing the PF screenshot thread for more info.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/1631045132

Even if it's not incredibly different, and the old models stick out like a sore thumb, I'd say that PF is a useful addition. The new planes, objects and maps make it good even by itself. If you're an online gamer, it's a must have, if for no other reason than the fact everyone else has it.

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-10-2005, 05:54 AM
What Fennec_P said. Aside from graphics, though, don't forget that there are other motivating factors to purchase Pacific Fighters. Additional planes, missions and the ability to play online with the vast majority of other onliners (As very few run less than v3.04m)

TB

JG54_Arnie
05-10-2005, 07:50 AM
No more muzzleflashes during the day! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

VW-IceFire
05-10-2005, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by sk065:
Hi, I have AEP but I'm pondering whether to buy PF. One thing i'd like to ask is whether oleg updated the overall graphics engine. e.g. are water graphics better in AEP and PF or are they just updated in PF. Also, Will we be seeing any major overhall of the 109 or FW pits in terms of graphics in the future because IMO they arnt as nice as some of the third party pits out there in the expansion.
Keep up the good work Oleg
Bunch of changes were made graphically that I've noticed.

1) Water on all detail levels is better...they used new bitmaps for the Excellent mode (and below) which looks quite a bit better than before and they also upgraded pretty much all levels of the perfect water as well. Water=0 looks less like a patchwork quilt and more real. Water=1 and Water=2 are very detailed and have maginificent reflections...although they hit FPS on slower machines. And Water=3 for those lucky enough to have a PS3.0 enabled video card makes the waves into 3D objects.
2) Trees and landscapes are about the same...they range from very detailed to mediocre...but its not bad.
3) Muzzleflashes...this was a big issue. Its now been fixed. In the daytime, muzzle flahses are small and relatively realistic looking. At night, they are larger and more blinding.
4) Dust and water plumes also got a visual update...they look quite a bit better now.

The cockpits won't be updated...too much work...so those remain the same...but most of the new cockpits are quite good (except the Hellcat which is great except the windshield).

JoachimvMayern
05-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Fennec_P:
As far as the engine goes, the water looks a lot nicer (nice bumpmapped waves and reflections). Other than that, the terrain and trees look about the same. Options for denser cloud cover will be out in the next patch. Blown dust looks slightly different.

All I would like to see is overcast skies. I mean if Lomac can do it, it can't be too hard for the FB/AEP/PF can it?

JG54_Arnie
05-11-2005, 01:36 AM
Yeah, but have you ever tried playing Lomac on a PC in the range of 1.5-2 Ghz? Its unplayable. Even on a 2.6Ghz it struggles.

Its all a matter of weighing the performance hits of new features and possiblities. Oleg told us in the ready room some time ago that the IL2 engine has the possibility to have actual grass rendered on the ground. But ofcourse, he cant turn that on for the public, the FPS would go through the floor.
I trust the man that he gives us what is possible in the timeframe set. He hasnt let me down so far, by far! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif