PDA

View Full Version : Req for info - Prop Pitch...

Xiolablu3
08-03-2005, 07:00 AM
Hey guys,

I have been playing offline for quite a while but have only just started playing online. I have noticed people talking about prop pitch, it always seemed pretty useless to me as all it was, was another throttle.

Does it have any other use? (I guess it must do) If so, when is a good time to use it rather than the throttle?

Utchoud
08-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Eastern Skies Il-2 User's Guide (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/il2guide/cemguide/controllingrpm.htm)

I don't know who is the author of this website, but I've learned a lot from it. I recommend reviewing the entire engine management section, much useful info there.

Utchoud

Xiolablu3
08-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Thnaks UTchoud, much appreciated m8 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ClnlSandersLite
08-04-2005, 05:23 AM
In a nutshell:

Prop pitch is effectively an rpm selector tool. It changes the blade incidence which changes the speed the engine is turning. Think of it like selecting gear in a manual transmission, but with a much finer degree of control.

Throttle is effectively a manifold pressure selector tool. Think of it as the gas pedal in any car.

The different types of props:
In a nutshell, there are 3 basic types.

Fixed pitch which cannot be adjusted. To keep your rpms in the green, you need to adjust your throttle and sometimes not dive so steep.

Manual pitch. You'll need to constantly play with the pitch during combat in order to keep rpms in the green. As you speed up, you'll need coarse your prop pitch some. As you slow down, fine it (in the game coarse is less, fine is more) to keep your rpms at the desired number. You'll also have to adjust it some with throttle adjustments.

Automatic pitch (the vast majority of WWII aircraft). You set the rpms, and a govener automatically adjusts the pitch to keep it there, at least as much as possible. It won't be able to keep max rpms with low throttle, and it may go over in a dive, but it'll be fine.

Usage:
Combat:
Your engine produces maximum power at maximum rpm's and manifold pressure. Therefore, you want to keep your engine at the very maximum safe rpm limit, unless your trying to cool down or something. So, basically, there isn't really all that much need for pitch adjustment in combat. The only exception being touchy manual pitch aircraft. Even with them, the goal is still the same, it just takes a little more work.

Cruising:
When cruising, using fine pitch means that you're burning more fuel and running hotter. You'll want to drop both your prop pitch and throttle to the minimum needed in order to maintain desired cruising speed. As a VERY basic rule of thumb (especially effective since most of the maps are pretty small) is keep them even. In other words, try 40/40, 50/50, etc to achieve your desired cruise speed instead of low throttle and max pitch.

AerialTarget
08-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Since you fly Axis, I'm sure you'll quickly learn how to use the exploit. Er, I mean, manual pitch trick.

VF-29_Sandman
08-04-2005, 09:29 AM
in 3.04, i noticed that if u dropped the pitch about 80% in the 38 in a dive, u'd get a hell of alot of speed. havent tried this in 4.01 at this time, but could be still possible. for the lw ships tho, unless ur very careful, manual pitch will fry the engine very quickly..in seconds even.

Xiolablu3
08-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the info, not sure I understand but its a good start.

I fly all planes not just Axis, which ever team has the lowest number.

Chadburn
08-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by AerialTarget:
Since you fly Axis, I'm sure you'll quickly learn how to use the exploit. Er, I mean, manual pitch trick.

Lol..or you could just fly the Spit IX at 18lbs boost and 3,000rpm for as long as you like. It's built-in over-boost doesn't require you to learn anything to use this "exploit".

fluke39
08-05-2005, 01:27 AM
Hey there - i had loads of scanned pages from those AR Journals hosted somewhere a couple of which would have probably helped you to understand the theory behind prop pitch and the basic use in real life. I cant find where i uploaded them to tho http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif - so remind us about it sometime.(or ill post a link when i find them)