PDA

View Full Version : Soviet WWII movies and books

zugfuhrer
09-27-2006, 01:19 PM
I have read and seen perhaps to many books and movies made by anglo/american writers and production teams about WWII.

I know that the soviet union got many skilled directors like Eisenstein, to tell stories about the glorious revolution and terrible invaders of the motherland.

But I havnt read, heard or seen anything made about wwII expect the movie "Rote Kapelle" where some german officers joined KBG.

Give me some info pls.

zugfuhrer
09-27-2006, 01:19 PM
I have read and seen perhaps to many books and movies made by anglo/american writers and production teams about WWII.

I know that the soviet union got many skilled directors like Eisenstein, to tell stories about the glorious revolution and terrible invaders of the motherland.

But I havnt read, heard or seen anything made about wwII expect the movie "Rote Kapelle" where some german officers joined KBG.

Give me some info pls.

sokil
09-27-2006, 01:39 PM
if you are in the U.S you can get some classic films on this on Netflix.

bazzaah2
09-27-2006, 01:46 PM
there's one called 'Come and See'. Weird, horrific art and not always easy viewing.

Hanglands
09-27-2006, 01:56 PM
I can second the 'Come And See' suggestion.

http://www.kino.com/video/item.php?film_id=71

A very well made film. The cover photo gives a pretty accurate idea of what the film contains.

If its the eastern front youre interested in, you shouldnt be without this.

slipBall
09-27-2006, 01:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zugfuhrer:

Give me some info pls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the back of the original game il2 manual, there are many Russian books referenced. You may have to speak Russian though http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif..to enjoy fully

Hanglands
09-27-2006, 02:03 PM
A book in my Amazon wish list currently is:

Swastika In The Gunsight. The Memoirs Of A Russian Fighter Pilot.
By Igor Aleksandrovich Kaberov

"Synopsis:
Igor Aleksandrovich Kaberov was a World War II Soviet fighter pilot revered for bravery and valour of the highest order. This book contains his graphic account of war on the Eastern Front against the German invaders, based largely on personal diaries he kept while serving with a fighter squadron. Previously unpublished outside the Soviet Union, his story concerns the efforts of his squadron to repel German forces and is focused particularly on the desperate siege of Leningrad, one of the greatest feats of endurance in the history of warfare. There are vivid descriptions of dogfights with German fighters, the dreadful conditions that prevailed in Leningrad during the siege, and a rare insight into how a Soviet fighter squadron lived and fought. "

leitmotiv
09-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Contact Russian DVD in the U.S.A. and tell them exactly what interests you and they will send you a list of films. Get MOTHERLAND and TORPEDO BOMBERS for starters.

Waldo.Pepper
09-28-2006, 06:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Swastika In The Gunsight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Read it. Well worth your time.