PDA

View Full Version : a question about ati radeon x800 pro graphics card

NL_snake_eye_NL
12-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Hi all

I've got a question.
I have a brand new pc with the ati radeon x800 pro graphic card and i want to know is it a good card and I can use the new water feature of pf?

i changed the conf.ini file but did not see any changes

Can anyone tell me if it's a good graphic card
and can someone tell me if I can use the new water feature??

greets Snake Eye

noshens
12-28-2004, 01:43 PM
it is a good card
no you can't use new water with it

NL_snake_eye_NL
12-28-2004, 01:47 PM
ok thanks noshens

Firebird_79vRAF
12-28-2004, 10:23 PM
~S~

Are you talking about the waves or the nice shaded water around atolls and islands?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/_79_Firebird/il2fb2004-12-2120-19-05-51.jpg

Thats with my 9800Pro and was a huge improvement over the water shading before. I picked up this ATI tweak from checksix, cant remember authors name, sorry. If you want the english version, was in french, and its very simple to do. Just click the link in my sig and go to Forums-->Public IL2/AEP/PF

Edit: No you cant set your settings to water=3, game detects ATI card and reverts it to 1 or 0. Seems rather odd since ATI cards can do the shading, Im assuming they would also be able to render the rough weather waves.

RocketDog
12-29-2004, 03:03 AM
snake_eye,

The X800Pro is a very good graphics card indeed.

You can use "perfect water" quite happily with your card. Set the landscape detail to "perfect" under the game's hardware options (must be using the graphics provider set to OpenGL, not DirectX to do this).

You can then change the type of water you get by editing the conf.ini file in the game's root directory.

There is a line "water=x" where x is 0 1, 2 or 3.

water=0
If you set water=0, perfect mode will give you animated, transparent waves, but will not apply reflections or shadows (except for aircraft). This option will give you the fastest frame rates.

water=1
This gives shadows/reflections of clouds etc and so looks very good. There is a slight frame-rate hit compared to water=0, but the increase in image quality is probably worth it. When I use perfect mode I use water=1.

water=2
This setting appears to be left over from the development of the game, it looks rather odd and is not really meant to be used, but you can try it for fun, if you like. Basically, it will give you rather smooth, jelly-like waves.

water=3
This is only useable on graphics cards that support Pixelshader 3.0 hardware. At the moment this means only the Nvidia 6800 series. Water=3 gives beautifully rendered waves with whitecaps appearing in poor weather. It also reduces frame rates so much on even the most powerful PCs that it is almost unplayable (unless you reduce the resolution a great deal). Good for screenshots, but not for actually playing the game.

Finally, perfect mode looks good, but that increase is bought at the cost of frame rate and smoothness over the excellent mode. At times, it is arguable that excellent actually looks more realistic because the waves in perfect are too large and gelatinous to be realistic. I usually fly in excellent mode (3.0 GHz P4, X800Pro, 1GB RAM).

Regards,

RocketDog.