PDA

View Full Version : Revised CRG: Fiat CR.42 and Fiat G.50

neural_dream
08-19-2005, 05:24 AM
This is the second post in a series of topics on the Revised Cockpit Reference Guide that i am working on. It will contain all planes this time so i will share it with you just after the release of the last patch. In these topics i post what i have chosen for the time being to write about each aircraft as side-info to the cockpit reference. This way the experts of this forum will quickly point out errors and maybe offer better alternatives to my words for each aircraft. Do not stick that much to numbers. I offer approximate ones first because you can never be sure with so many conflicting numbers out there, and second because this is a compact guide and shouldn't waste precious space by adding all speeds for every model of a plane if they are very similar. Still if you find that there are important inconsistencies please tell me so before i "release" the guide next month.
-----------------------------------------------
FIAT CR.42 "Falco" (Italy, `38)
The CR.42 was the last (and supposedly the best) biplane fighter to be designed, built and flown operationally.
Until then, there was still the belief in the Italian Airforce that the very high manoeuvrability of biplanes
would give their pilots the upper hand in dogfights. In most cases the CR.42 suffered severe losses by the RAF.
The last operations by CR.42 were made in May 1945.
Maximum speed: 343km/h at sea level and 430km/h at 5300m. Turn time 17s at 1000m
Tips:
¦ Avoid power dives; the CR.42 starts disintegrating at a little over 550km/h.
¦ The CR.42 and the Gloster Gladiator are supposed to be similar in performance. However, the Cr.42 is
prone to spins, a weakness that the Gladiator can take advantage of.
Armament:
nose - 2x12.7mm Breda SAFAT (400rpg/37sec).
-----------------------------------------------
FIAT G.50 "Freccia" (Italy, `38)
The G.50 was not a success story. Designed by Giuseppe Gabrielli, it started showing its tendency to spin
even from the test flight of the prototype in 1937. It was first used for a few weeks in Spain towards the end of the Civil War and then in France, Belgium, Albania, Greece, Croatia, Libya etc. In some of these places the G.50
proved inadequate mainly due to its very limited range. It was generally outclassed considerably by the Gloster Gladiator and the Hawker Hurricane, and had some successes only when the Italians were wise enough to avoid
facing enemy fighters. However, the Finns did have some success with it against the USSR during the Continuation War (`41-`44).
Maximum speed: 390km/h at sea level and 440km/h at 5000m. Turn time 17-18s at 1000m.
Tips:
¦ Just like the I-16 and all other aircraft with carburetor engines, the G.50 is prone to engine starvings.
¦ When flying against contemporary aircraft, try to maintain higher altitude, since the G.50 has quite good zoom & boom capabilities. It is also surprisingly sturdy and in a steep dive it will not start falling apart before 740km/h.
¦ Consider decreasing the fuel mix at around 3000m.
Armament:
nose - 2x12.7mm Breda SAFAT (300rpg/28sec).

neural_dream
08-19-2005, 05:24 AM
Tomorrow the La-5 and the La-7.

JG53Frankyboy
08-19-2005, 05:55 AM
about both FIATs:
-you can use 100% misture till 4500m , 80% mixture till 6200m

-in a powerdive both engines can overrev before the planes are reaching their critical structural speed.

about CR.42 tactic vs J8A:
do not turn with the Gladiator. use your speed and better climb.

neural_dream
08-19-2005, 09:42 AM
4500 for 100% and 6200 for 80% are the limits over which you have black smoke coming. But that doesn't mean that if you are at 4000m and have 100% mixture you are at optimal setting. Am i wrong about that? Shouldn't you lean the mixture earlier than 4500?

alert_1
08-19-2005, 11:13 AM
CR42 was plane made for real men...and only those are flying it online against I153, I16/24 and Hurris http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

neural_dream
08-19-2005, 05:31 PM
well? noone will answer to that? You should lean the mixture just under the black smoke altitude or before?

No italian planes' experts there?

JG53Frankyboy
08-19-2005, 06:36 PM
the only reason to reduce the mixture is to avoid that black smoke - and only if that smoke is comming out of the engine the poweroutput will be reduced.

so, for example, a B-239 will smoking at ~9300m with 100% mixture - a very seldom altitude for that bird http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
so actually you dont have to care about mixture http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

neural_dream
08-20-2005, 03:46 AM
Thank you FrankyBoy

neural_dream
08-20-2005, 07:07 AM
bump

any last suggestions? any disagreements?

before i start the la5-la7 thread