PDA

View Full Version : Potential idea for alternative to combat flight sims.

Grind-and-Click
01-22-2010, 10:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkHkWy9S4nw

+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTGAP7tG0Y

May = Dead french cows, but im really impressed still.

Imagine that cammera setup in a 1/5 scale P38.

Urufu_Shinjiro
01-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Nice!

Rjel
01-23-2010, 08:32 AM
I always wanted to do RC planes until I saw a friend destroy one after much work. Way too expensive a hobby for me.

As to the mini machine gun I would think you'd need a special permit for that. Impressed by the typical classy comments on Youtube about it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

"lol take that to a crowded park on a saturday afternoon and just unload on people "

Outlaw---
01-23-2010, 08:50 AM
For all intents and purposes, that was "real" combat and it looks almost exactly like IL-2.

Just goes to show how immersive a PC sim can be.

Unfortunately, the AMA does not allow first person control of an R/C aircraft. This means no insurance for you if you hurt someone so you would be crazy to do that here in the US unless you owned your own land and were REALLY sure your buddy and/or his family wouldn't sue you.

--Outlaw.

Choctaw111
01-23-2010, 10:32 AM
I had plans of doing this with my 1/5 scale Mustang but then stopped flying before I could do it. The guns the camera, everything.
I am glad to see that someone has pulled this off.
I was even planning to forgo the standard hand held radio and try a "sit in" type pit with controls and display to pilot the plane, complete with a TrackIR setup.
I just may do it someday. We'll see.
It would sure make for some fine Youtube movies.

Grind-and-Click
02-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Real guns too?

.22 MG's?

M_Gunz
02-02-2010, 11:00 PM
.22LR can kill at a mile. Where would you play such a thing?

Why not aerial laser-tag or something done with video cameras that won't hurt people
or destroy the expensive planes?

Better yet, why not just simulate it on com... errrrrrr, nahhhh forget it!

x6BL_Brando
02-03-2010, 06:40 AM
It states in the commentary that the gun is firing BBs, not .22 cartridges. The recoil of any cartridge firing gun would knock the plane out of the sky, be sure!
I would imagine that this is using a simple compressed air system to shoot the balls - and that the pressure is relatively low, judging by the minimal damage to the target planes styrofoam wings. Nothing lethal.

B

Choctaw111
02-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Grind-and-Click:
Real guns too?

.22 MG's?

I just saw this post.
No, not real guns. The potential for something bad to happen is far too great.
I have heard people say "it's ONLY a .22"
That 22 can really mess you up or even kill you at ranges of over a mile.
I was thinking about making some sort of airsoft type guns to fit in there.
The rules of the AMA, the Academy of Model Aeronautics, clearly states that no projectiles can be fired or launched from an RC plane, however dummy bombs and other things may be dropped.
Having a plane that shoots BBs is clearly against their rules but I still wanted to have a go with it.

Frankthetank36
02-03-2010, 09:35 PM
I believe Hobby/Park Zone makes a sonic combat module device that shuts down your opponent's motor so that you can dogfight without destroying the planes.

SterlingX
02-04-2010, 03:11 AM
It can't be very realistic, because an RC model has way lower inerta to control surface forces ratio in all three axis, and because turn rates are much higher. That would be a bit like dogfighting at 4x time compression, ignoring that RC models are also much better in the thrust to weight ratio department.
I suppose it might be possible to make an RC plane that behaves and flies like a big airplane from the prespective of an onboard camera, but then it would probably not look much like the real thing, because different parts of the airframe would have to scale differently. When you scale an airframe down, mass and inertial forces would go down as the power of 3, and control and lifting surfaces forces would go down as the power of 2, so keeping everything in proportion would result in much better maneuverability. A realisticly behaving model of a WW2 fighter would need to have smaller wings and control surfaces. Or, now that I think of it, have weights distributed around the airframe perhaps?

Grind-and-Click
02-11-2010, 12:10 PM
.22LR can kill at a mile. Where would you play such a thing?

It states in the commentary that the gun is firing BBs, not .22 cartridges. The recoil of any cartridge firing gun would knock the plane out of the sky, be sure!

I just saw this post.
No, not real guns. The potential for something bad to happen is far too great.
I have heard people say "it's ONLY a .22"
That 22 can really mess you up or even kill you at ranges of over a mile.
I was thinking about making some sort of airsoft type guns to fit in there.
The rules of the AMA, the Academy of Model Aeronautics, clearly states that no projectiles can be fired or launched from an RC plane, however dummy bombs and other things may be dropped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ttSwYNspw

Arrest those men!