PDA

View Full Version : I would like to play online but I have a problem! (Not technical, personal :P)

antonio_f
05-06-2005, 08:55 AM
My problem is... well I'm not such a great pilot. What I mean is, I can't fly formation AT ALL! :S Who's gonna wanna fly with me if I can't fly formation? I'm not a great wingman for the same reason *sniff*

Another thing is PF has made me question my piloting. I have a hard time against Zeros and it's making me question my flying skill. Has this happened to anyone else? I realise the Zero has superb agility, is it just me, or do I really suck? :S

Waldo.Pepper
05-06-2005, 09:04 AM
It's a game.

Relax.

Nitrous_DM
05-06-2005, 09:16 AM
Hi antonio,

Come fly with any of the CPS(Casual Pilots Squad) guys and it will make u feel alot better trust me!!

Don't worry dude, from your description it seems like you are one of the better pilots out there.

madsarmy
05-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Hey antonio
Don't worry about it.
Expect to be shot down a lot. After 3 years flying, I still spend way to much time trying to get out of my plane as fast as I possibly can.

The most important bit of all is. Enjoy Yourself.

All the Best

antonio_f
05-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys.. Waldo.Pepper "relax" lol yeah I am, thanks though. I just hate how the guy I'm supposed to protect gets shot down because I wasn't there to help him. How do I get playing with these CPS guys, I haven't tried muliplay yet. And yeah I don't expect to beat the Zero. I'm not new to flight sims, only new to the new ones (with more realistic physics.) The Zeros are only hard to beat in the early planes. It's just that watching my squad mates (AI) they seem to handle their own a bit better than I do. I'm getting better at it though. LOL I have over 100 kills in 30 missions, mostly bombers though.

AVG_WarHawk
05-06-2005, 11:53 AM
I know some of the stuka squadrons fly formation online, other than those few you won't see much true formation flying even in COOPs.

Jumoschwanz
05-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Just about anyone will get shot down if they try and dogfight with a zero no matter how much experience they have.

The trick to shooting down the zero is instead of turning with it to make a shot, just make fast straight passes, hit and run type of thing.

Better yet is to start a pass at a good altitude advantage, take a shot, then use the speed you picked up in the dive at the zero to climb back up out of it's range, then set up another pass if it is needed.

This is what they mean when they use the term "zoom and boom" on this forum. Hit and run is more of a layman's way of putting it.

The more you fly the better and more comfortable you will get flying close to others.

And flying in formation does not really mean you have to be so close it is a hazard like in aerobatic shows. Just fly side by side with someone close enough so you can see them, and see if anyone is sneaking up on them from behind. When this happens you tell them about it so they can defend themselves while you shoot the foe off their tail. Hope this helps, S!

Jumoschwanz

Metallicaner
05-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Join us man, we'll teach you how to do formations! 249th IAP is recruiting everytime! We fly with realistic settings but we're more than willing to teach you to become one of us ace-pilots. We have a dynamic campaign going on every wednesday flying against REAL enemy pilots. Practicing every Tuesday before the big mission at wednesday. Check us out! www.249th.com (http://www.249th.com) We've got players/pilots worldwide

9th_Spitin
05-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Don't worry. Time behind the stick is what you need. The more you fly, the more you will learn.

Aztek_Eagle
05-06-2005, 04:45 PM
i hate bad wingmen, they dont obey... and they imidietly brake away when they see something moving

DuxCorvan
05-06-2005, 04:53 PM
To fight Zeros: keep speed up. Boom and zoom. And forget about following them in a turn.

Aerobatics are useless against them.

BBB_Hyperion
05-06-2005, 05:17 PM
There is always someone worse and someone better and even when you think there cant be someone worse you should definitly try online.

miss_behavin
05-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Hey..

I usually go down in flames alot myself. As far as the zero? Its been said two pilots need to take on one zero to get him shot down.

Dont worry about not being able to fly formation. i dont either, i just get on a server and have FUN. Thats the whole idea behind the game anway..

Im Dixie online by the way. Look for me when your on HL and say hello. ill fly with you and be your wingy...lol

S!

judy davenport

Wolf_Fangs1381
05-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Hello Antonio,

I have always been a person who likes to fly in formations. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I first learned way back when Fighter Ace 2.5 was around. But when I started flying in IL-2 I had to learn all over again. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Alot of it has to do with trimming the plane. The other part is throttle. I actually learned how to fly in formation in IL-2 by flying with a bomber. I set up a QMB with myself in a fighter & another flight of one bomber (preferably a fast one). No enemies of course. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif So if you want to learn how to formation fly,try using my advice to start. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

As for the Zero's,just dive away & get some distance between you & them (2.50). Then turn back at them & let them have it. If that don't work,don't let them get behind you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I've heard that the Zero couldn't turn to the right as good as it could turn to the left. So diving & turning to the right was a good tactic to use against the Zero. I'm not sure if the Zero was modelled with this in the game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif =S=

LEXX_Luthor
05-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Trim is important. Easy throttle changes too.

Practice offline. Set yourself up as 4th wingperson in a 4 plane AI flight (must use Full Mission Builder for this).

Or just setup a Quick Mission Builder thing and set your self as alone in your flight but the other (friendly) flight you can turn, catch them, and practice formation flying with them.

If you don't have FMB skills, we can post a short mission here (tell if you want air start or runway takeoff), After loading mission file in FMB, you can change the plane type to any that you want to (as long as its Flyable).

The nice thing with flying formation with 2 or 3 other AI planes is you can practice keeping place in different spots. I find it more comfortable to follow on the right (looking to the left to see the planes). This means I need to practice flying on the left. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Also, map elevator trim to mouse wheel under the HOTAS part of the Controls Menu. You can roll wheel either way inside the menu, just make sure the top wheel rolled back becomes elevator trim up. If you picked the wrong way, go back and change it.

Hrdina
05-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Hey Antonio,

Dive in and have fun. I just played online this week for the first time, and quite frankly I was quite lost. I got shot down 5 times over the course of an hour or so. I think that one of my bullets might have gone near an enemy, but not too close. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

You're doing much better at missions than I do.

So, Nitrous, where does one find this mythical CPS?

antonio_f
05-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Thank you for all your help and encouragement! I'd like to get in touch with some of you if you'd like. neo30_ @ hotmail.com and crusader_021 @ yahoo.ca are my MSN and Yahoo messenger respectively.

Something I forgot to mention (but I guess the way I was talking didn't help) is that I'm not new to flight sims. I know zoom and boom (I have trouble with that when they attack the airfield, not much time to get up there) and I know a few other tactics. All your support is greatly appreciated though and I'd love to get in touch with some of you and fly online some time!!

If any of you have MSN or Yahoo and wanna chat go ahead and add me!

antonio_f
05-06-2005, 07:13 PM
Oh yeah I DO NOT break away from bombers, ever. I go to full power, circle around them and wait for the enemy to come at them, if they don't attack the bombers, forget 'em.

antonio_f
05-06-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm playing Dynamic Campaign, New Guinea USAAF, P-40E. One of those "incoming!" missions. I just had a nice long one with a Zero 1-on-1 near the end of the mission. I had barely any fuel and he was trying to go home but I wouldn't let him... hehe... took a while but I finally blasted him, felt good about that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Raptor_20thFG
05-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Dont worry about it we all get shot down. but its addicting and as for the formation part join an online squad.

welcome to the maddness

JunkoIfurita
05-06-2005, 10:17 PM
The two most useful formations around, are - surprise surprise - the easiest to maintain.

The best way to STAY in formation with someone is via communication. The leader sets up a heading, then gives the heading, a power setting, prop pitch setting and radiator setting to their flight. Now, you just have to maintain those settings in order to hold your place in formation - using your Mk1 Eyeball for small adjustments (don't over rely on this, or you'll drift steadily closer rather than holding position).

Need to move closer or drop farther away? Simple, just use SMALL (i.e. 5% increments) power changes and wait...you'll ease in without the common overshoot. If you all work on maintaining the same heading, your shouldn't have too much trouble.

So, the two formations. If you're just flying with a single wingman, use the line abreast formation. That means, fly wing-to-wing at a distance of between 400-600m between you. Forget flying too close, the point here is to be able to watch out for your wingman, not get shot down when he does. At this distance, if you look towards your wingman you get a fantastic view of his six, so you can warn him to break with plenty of time to avoid being shot. Alternately, your wingman watches YOUR six. If you both divide your time watching your wingman's six and straight ahead, you've covered all the important angles and you are EXTREMELY difficult to sneak up on.

Finger four follows the same principle, but works with a flight of four planes. More or less, it's two leader/wingmen groups formed up together. Number 2 forms up on leaders left, number 3 on leaders right, number 4 to 3's right. Primarily you watch your wingman, but no3 also needs to make sure he doesn't drift too far from the leader.

----