PDA

View Full Version : The most important PF map needed...

Tater-SW-
10-24-2004, 03:32 PM
A CBI map.

Rangoon in the SW corner of the map. Why?

1. It's the only map where you get large variations in mission types and targets---more like the Eastern/Western Front in the ETO. Bridges, roads, armor, etc.

2. It's about the only place to get a war-spanning IJAAF/USAAF/RAF/RAAF(?) campaign that uses all the <edit> army aircraft already available in game in the Pacific War.

3. It involves commonwealth units as well. More, and easier to make campaigns.

4. A little coast to the west gives anti-shipping action.

5. A solid land mass means more airfields closer together, with a front that can move back and forth.

Without a CBI, or a far more complete SWPA, the IJAAF and USAAF are going to have only a couple missions each before they run out of things to do.

tater

Tater-SW-
10-24-2004, 03:32 PM
A CBI map.

Rangoon in the SW corner of the map. Why?

1. It's the only map where you get large variations in mission types and targets---more like the Eastern/Western Front in the ETO. Bridges, roads, armor, etc.

2. It's about the only place to get a war-spanning IJAAF/USAAF/RAF/RAAF(?) campaign that uses all the &lt;edit&gt; army aircraft already available in game in the Pacific War.

3. It involves commonwealth units as well. More, and easier to make campaigns.

4. A little coast to the west gives anti-shipping action.

5. A solid land mass means more airfields closer together, with a front that can move back and forth.

Without a CBI, or a far more complete SWPA, the IJAAF and USAAF are going to have only a couple missions each before they run out of things to do.

tater

Stiglr
10-24-2004, 04:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2. It's about the only place to get a war-spanning IJAAF/USAAF/RAF/RAAF(?) campaign that uses all the aircraft already avaiilable in game in the Pacific War.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where do you figure that? You won't see any USN/Marines in CBI. Strictly USAAF. And likely some RAF. It wouldn't use the entire planeset at all.

As for the Japanese, this would mostly be a IJA affair. Very few naval actions, except offshore.

JG53Frankyboy
10-24-2004, 06:58 PM
propably he mentall the already in game beeing IJAAF/USAAF/RAF/RAAF planes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

so far every thought of AVG stuff (the plane itself is in http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) is senseless. but the enemies are also missing - Ki-27 , Ki21 , Ki-48 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

A.K.Davis
10-24-2004, 06:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2. It's about the only place to get a war-spanning IJAAF/USAAF/RAF/RAAF(?) campaign that uses all the aircraft already avaiilable in game in the Pacific War.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where do you figure that? You won't see any USN/Marines in CBI. Strictly USAAF. And likely some RAF. It wouldn't use the entire planeset at all.

As for the Japanese, this would mostly be a IJA affair. Very few naval actions, except offshore. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the "IJAAF/USAAF/RAF/RAAF" bit covered that Stiglr.

p1ngu666
10-24-2004, 07:51 PM
id love a burma map http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

VW-IceFire
10-24-2004, 07:58 PM
Rangoon used to be on the list...it was on the list from the France-Sim guys...so I imagine that its one of the maps thats coming soon.

I'd love to see this map. I want to do a short campaign with the Spitfire VIII under RAF SEAC flying missions against swarms of Oscars and shooting up barracks, supply trucks, and the odd inoccuous looking bush (hiding AAA - true story).

Tater-SW-
10-24-2004, 08:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As for the Japanese, this would mostly be a IJA affair. Very few naval actions, except offshore. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. As I posted, USAAF, IJAAF, RAF, RAAF. All the ARMY air forces. All the island maps in game now are NAVY MAPS. With the exception of New Guinea (limited to Port Moresbey&lt;--&gt;Buna runs), and USAAF defense of Guadalcanal, there are no other army maps at all. If we get Luzon, then we have some late war AAF action on both sides.

Right now, you can have a Navy career on either side that starts dec 1941, and follows through til the end of the war. Army fighter career... let's see...

Navy Both Sides:
Every map! Attack and defense with CVs, and some ground based units.

Army Units:
Allied1. 1 hop at Pearl. Some air defense and ground attack at Guadalcanal. Luzon is a bright spot here with attack and defense if included. Skip to Okinawa and fly P-51s and P-47s on DEFENSE since you can't fly to Japan.

Allied2: New Guinea. Attack defense for a few months til Buna or Moresbey is toast. Luzon is a bright spot here with attack and defense if included. Okinawa defense.

IJAAF1: New Guinea gives attack and defense. Skip to Luzon if we get that, attack and defense. Defense of Japan.

IJAAF2: there is no IJAAF2 path.

If we had some CBI, we'd get exclusively Army fights, but we'd get continuous battles from the AVG, to the late war Japanese offensive. Yeah, CBI shuts out navy, but navy gets ALL the other maps, from Dec '41 to Aug '45.

tater

PS-I implicitly said the entire AAF plane set, I know it is no (or near no) navy (I corrected the line).

PBNA-Boosher
10-25-2004, 10:37 AM
I'd vote for a CBI map, no doubt about it! But we'd need a few more planes, like the Ki-27, the G3M, the Ki-15, etc... We'd also need a few more Allied planes which are in the works, like the CW-21 Demon, the P-43, flyable P-36's, I-15's, F2A-3's, etc... Also if possible a B-25B, and earlier Beaufighters though the C covers it fairly well. But we have a lot of the planes we need:

Allied:
Hurricane Mk's. I, IIb, IIc
Spitfire Mk. Vb, Mk. VIII
P-40's B - E
Blenheim Mk. I
SB-2
I-16 Type 18
I-153M-62
P-51B/C
P-47D Razorbacks
P-38J/L
Early B-17's
C-47
A-20
and a few more

Axis:
Ki-43-Ia/b/c
Ki-46
G4M1
(Later on) A6M variants
Probably more to come

Tater-SW-
10-25-2004, 11:30 AM
I realize there are a lot of planes needed for the CBI side of things. My real point was that there are rather a lot of Amry planes on both sides that lack a home right now. On top of that, campaign scripting for Army planes in the world of isolated island maps is, well, difficult. (remember that large numbers of players are offline only).

Take Guadalcanal as an example. Right now campaign missions, or indeed any mission where you'd need to land, can only be flown by the allied side, or the IJN from carriers. The olny offensive air ops from Guadalcanal possible by the USAAF with the current map is vs isolated ground targets on the island itself, and shipping leaving after dropping off at night. By the time F4U were operational at Guadalcanal, there are no Japanese on the island at all. So we get some new planes, and they can only fly defensive CAP.

Even with a Rabaul map, it just swaps the problem. Then the IJN (and any AF units that were there) is stuck on defensive missions only. The allies can only have player offensive missions from CVs. The defensive missions for the japanese can have some vs Cvs, but unlike Gudalcanal, there would be no influx of non-CV battlegroup shipping at all to attack. Rabaul is only good for a few offensive CV raids, loads of IJ defense missions, and single mission allied army ground attack.

tater

k5054
10-25-2004, 12:20 PM
Pretty much all the maps are so limited by size that you can't do the land-based missions. You can't fly the slot, for instance. A Burma map wouldn't cover much of the ground of the land campaign, a China map would be hopeless. We need a quantum change in map technology to do away with the miles of sea and jungle where no enemy is likely to be met. Yes I know some people like flying the mission, some provision should be made for them, but basically we need a way to represent miles of featureless scenery which enables skipping without the game engine having to run all the calcs as it does now. Maybe for the next sim.

Boosher: No, or almost no, Hurricane Is, but definitely some IId with the 40mm cannon, which saw anti-tank action in Burma (some anti-elephant action too, but we won't get that).
We need a theatre where 30sqn flew, so the RS codes would finally be right for something.

Tater-SW-
10-25-2004, 12:27 PM
Well, given what we have, for a maximum bang for the design buck in the PTO/CBI, we need a map that includes the most static (or back and forth) lines of the pacific war, where both sides have air bases within range. Rangoon might not be the best choice, it might be farther NW. You get the idea though.

tater

chris455
10-26-2004, 05:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>propably he mentall the already in game beeing IJAAF/USAAF/RAF/RAAF planes
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
WTF?????????????????????????

Anyway, a CBI map would be real nice.
So would an Aleutians map.
And what about the Philipines?

Tater-SW-
10-26-2004, 08:51 AM
Any new maps would be cool. My focus was on finding a single map that would have the longest time period possible in play with air fields for BOTH sides within the map boundaries. To me, that probably requires the main land. SW China, Northern Thailand/Burma. Some place like that.

Western New Guinea would certainly be an improvement over Eastern New Guinea as well. The Philipines would give early war, and late war, kinda a wash on mid war. With Philipines and western Papua/NG, you could do early war philipines, then advance (for IJA) to NG, and move back the other direction later in the war.

tater