PDA

View Full Version : PE-2 Questions

Breeze147
07-12-2006, 05:54 AM
I just started the Front Lines campaign. I'm not having problems flying this bird. I find it fairly easy to handle. Still working on memorizing bomb sight commands. In any bomber, I have a problem getting proper alignment to the target.

On my last mission, I was straggling as usual. I got jumped by a 109. I turned away from him and my gunners chased him off. Even though he shot off one of my stab's, I still managed to set down at an alternate field.

My problem is keeping up. I've had this same problem with many a/c in the sim, but I usually managed to catch up. With the Peshka, the friendly AI just continuously pull away. I've tried every combination of prop pitch and throttle I can think of, messed with rad settings, fuel mix, supercharger. I think the other guys are using nitro and haven't told me about it.

Any suggestions? BTW, I am one of those nuts who insist on starting at the lowest rank.

Breeze147
07-12-2006, 05:54 AM
I just started the Front Lines campaign. I'm not having problems flying this bird. I find it fairly easy to handle. Still working on memorizing bomb sight commands. In any bomber, I have a problem getting proper alignment to the target.

On my last mission, I was straggling as usual. I got jumped by a 109. I turned away from him and my gunners chased him off. Even though he shot off one of my stab's, I still managed to set down at an alternate field.

My problem is keeping up. I've had this same problem with many a/c in the sim, but I usually managed to catch up. With the Peshka, the friendly AI just continuously pull away. I've tried every combination of prop pitch and throttle I can think of, messed with rad settings, fuel mix, supercharger. I think the other guys are using nitro and haven't told me about it.

Any suggestions? BTW, I am one of those nuts who insist on starting at the lowest rank.

Agamemnon22
07-12-2006, 08:58 AM
The AI, friendly or otherwise, flies by a simpler flight model than you, which unfortunately results in them being faster for no reason. To keep up, you'll have to fly on autopilot, which follows the same rules as AI.

VW-IceFire
07-12-2006, 09:05 AM
The problem may not be in engine settings but in your flying. The Pe-2 is a high speed design...high speed wing doesn't necessarily like angling up to climb of anything like that.

The thing I often see done wrong is that trying to keep up involves climbing in behind the AI...which usually means lower airspeeds, reduced climb in the long term, and inability to keep up with the AI. They are pretty much perfect so you need to try and just be good. So gain some speed, fly under them if you have to and slowly gain altitude.

I don't find it to be much of a problem although my preference is to lead one of the sections myself. Its amazing but manuevering can have a dramatic effect on your speed over the long term so keep it to a minumum. I went air racing a few times on HL and I was shocked that in the same plane two people....I was slower and he was faster. He was an experienced air racer and knew what settings to use but more importantly knew how to fly for speed. Probably need to do the same thing here...I do it and it works and I'm not nearly as good as those guys I flew against.