PDA

View Full Version : choppiness?

Dscyth3
05-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Hey Guys,

I purchased a copy of Splinter cell conviction from steam and I have been having nothing but problems from the get go. My specs are

Intel Dual core 2.5 GHz
4GB DDR2 (PC26400)
Radeon 4870 HD 1GB
1.5 TB combined hard drive space
Windows 7 64 bit

I have tried to update to the latest catalyst drivers as well as the control center doesn't seem to do anything to help with the choppiness I am seeing. It is almost like being connected to an online server and experiencing very bad lag, but I know that my card can handle it.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

GuZZ33
05-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Dscyth3:
I know that my card can handle it.
On what graphics/resolution and other settings do you think the 4870 can handle it?.

roelbartstra
05-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Go to the settings of the game and disable the following:
-V-Sync
-Dynamic Ambient Occlusion

You can leave on Dynamic reflection because it's only used in a few scenes like the bathroom interrogation.

Put soft shadows and environment detail both on medium.

You can also try to lower your resolution to 1280x1024, 1280x800 0r 1280x720.
If the game runs fine after changing the resolution you can try turning on Anti-Aliasing put that on 4x (higher is almost not visible).
The will remove some of your fps but it will still be higher then playing on high resolution without AA.

If it's still running slow you can also turn off HDR but that will make the game look like a big pile of ****.

Dscyth3
05-13-2010, 12:07 PM
@GuZZ33 - I don't know? Its a brand new card...I shouldn't have issues.

The game options do not allow me to go past 1154x864. I have the latest patch and have even tried to change the aspect ration (ie/ wide screen, etc). It will not let me go past that and the game auto defaults at 800x600. I have tried every combination including turning everything to low and unchecking the HDR as suggested above. I have heard that it may be an issue with the CCC?

roelbartstra
05-13-2010, 01:16 PM
i know it's not visible but you can scroll through the resolution menu. It's just designed very bad.

I'm not an ATI user so I can't help you with your video card problems.

Good luck http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

GuZZ33
05-13-2010, 01:38 PM
The game options do not allow me to go past 1154x864.
Are you sure?, what is your monitor's factory default recommended settings?, like roelbartstra and others have said, you should be able to scroll down the resolution list and find your setting, just keep scrolling down the list, you don't see it in the immediate list, you scroll with your mouse wheel or down arrow key on your keyboard or by using a controller/gamepad if you have one that is.

Once you get the correct settings for your monitor applied, then work your way through the other settings to find a balance that you're happy with.

i use an ati card but ati.amd will probably have a profile for conviction in their next driver update that might improve performance too?.

let us know how you get on mate.

Netherheim
05-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Well hopefully you have all your drivers updated (that probably includes the 10.a-hotfix for catalyst ati cards (also disabled catalyst AI), the windows v4 dual core/single core optimizers update, and the 1.02 patch).

In my opinion, from seeing many people showing their specs all around the web, Radeon 4000 series should be very good to use to play this game (I think I'm using a 4000 series on my pc and a 4200 on my laptop for this game).

Your resolution, I think shouldn't be a problem, I have a 1366x168 resolution screen on my laptop, but it sizes it down to 1280x720 (not entirely sure).

GuZZ33
05-14-2010, 02:48 AM
I have heard that it may be an issue with the CCC?
Which version you heard maybe had issues?, i use CCC 10.4 and 10.4 apps profiles although there is no scc profile yet but 10.4 seems ok, no major issues on the 5000 series i know of.

Only other way i know you could try is in the ConvictionuserPC ini file, its a hidden system file so you will have to tell windows to show hidden files and folders to see it.

[UserVideoOptions.GuZZ33]
VisualQuality=3
StartupFullscreen=True
FullscreenViewportX=1920
FullscreenViewportY=1080
MaxRefreshRate=60
WindowedViewportX=1280
WindowedViewportY=720
UseVSync=False
UseHDR=True
MonitorAspect=1.777778
ShadowQuality=3