PDA

View Full Version : A Reminder to the Hosts about your behavior

RJNewly
11-02-2004, 10:59 AM
There is a a lot of discussion in these forums about the childish behavior of guests by the hosts - most of it warranted.

I think hoever some our the hosts of this game need to be reminded of their bad behavior. Recently I started playing on the most popular "full real" servers on Hyperlobby. This server features the best constructed maps of any I have seen anywhere. The Host is definitley aiming to offer a great product and this evident in how difficult it is at times to get into one of his games.

The thing that struck me though is how rude this host is at times to the players. Often times there will be chat going on between two players about a desire that they have for the map they are playing and the host will cut in and say something like, "If you don't like it leave". Now this is harsh in my opinion. Maybe a more tactful approach would be better receieved. This same host has solicited dontaions from players on this site to continue offering his servers. With an attitude like he has I personally have a hard time reaching into my wallet and sending him anything. In fact I would rather play on a server where the host is open to suggestions for improvement.

These are not isolated incidents that I'm referring to. I beleive this host is on a power trip. I love the server but will only play it If I don't see him online any longer. I also don't buy the line that someone is bound to come up with in reponse to this thread, " If you don't like the rules then leave". That is nothing more than a lame cop-out.

Supr
11-02-2004, 11:12 AM
lol, maybe it was a cop out, but its very true. Its his server and his rules. If you dont like them, dont play there. very simple. If others agree with you, then they wont play there either, and the server will die. Besides, everyone always has a better idea on how to run a server, yet few actually do it. Generally they dont have the resources or knowledge to make it happen. But for the most part, I think they would just rather complain about how someone else runs theirs.

If you have advice, or any other ideas about improvments you think should be made to a server, then you should go to their website and forums. Make suggestions there, not in the server, when all it does is sound like more whining from some little kid that thinks he has this inalienable right to not only use the servers that others provide for us, but also to decide how they should be set up.

JG52Uther
11-02-2004, 11:18 AM
A lot of what you say is true ,BUT,i consider that when i am a 'guest' on someones server then i will play whatever game he wants.His settings,his rules.If i dont like somehing i will indeed choose another server.On occasion i host for my squad,and there is no moaning.If i hosted for others i too would be annoyed if guys were forever shouting 'CHANGE THE MAP' or 'C*AP PLANESET' or (and my personal hate word)'LAAAAG'.If you dont like the server dont go there,it really is that simple.And the server is probably asking for money to keep the server going because it does indeed cost money to run a server! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Zen--
11-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Also consider the volume of comments like that which full time admins are bombarded with. It's not easy to run a popular server considering all the work that goes into it and then when you find time to fly, to have to listen to constant gripes and complaints about this or that...it really brings down the enjoyment of being a fulltime admin.

I certainly understand the concept of tactfulness, but put yourself in the hosts shoes. Better yet, put on his shoes and create a popular server and then observe your own reactions when people criticize it and say the kinds of things they do. It's a whole different world when it's your show and it changes your perspective considerably.

You'd be surprised at how often people come in, flame on about something they don't like and then leave in a huff, as though the server is there for their personal pleasure only. Night after night of things like this can leave us all a little short tempered or tend to steer our reactions into gruff, like or leave it responses. I think it is probably just the nature of hosting, something that is very hard to avoid but the best thing as a player imho is to have a thick skin of your own first. Think before you speak, take time to consider the hosts situation, give him a little room and don't expect he will have time to deal with you personally right there on the spot. You and I are singles out of many hundreds and even thousands of players that hosts have to deal with, I would never presume to be anything other than just another player while I was in game and flying.

It's probably a better idea to contact the host offline via their website or email, because after all when the host is online he's either flying to have fun or directly administering the server so that it remains a fun place to fly. I don't condone rude or arrogant behavior in general, but I certainly try to understand the other guys situation before I say something about it, or better yet, leave him be and try again another day.

Just my .02 rupees.

RJNewly
11-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Zen, you make some very good points. However my response is still the same to those that say, "leave if you don't like it". Its not that I don't like the server, the server is great. I just think the Host could be more cordial. Some of the things that are said (at least that I have seen) weren't criticizing the host at all. It was comments like, "Man I wish the flak level was lower its killing my FPS" or "Man I wish they had more clouds it makes it more competive for those planes without the high speeds of some of the other fighters". The things I'm referring to aren't personal attacks on the Host they are simply desires. As the old addage goes, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". My comments are just meant to increase awareness of the hosts to there own actions as the actions of players are discussed frequently in this forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zen--:
Also consider the volume of comments like that which full time admins are bombarded with. It's not easy to run a popular server considering all the work that goes into it and then when you find time to fly, to have to listen to constant gripes and complaints about this or that...it really brings down the enjoyment of being a fulltime admin.

I certainly understand the concept of tactfulness, but put yourself in the hosts shoes. Better yet, put on his shoes and create a popular server and then observe your own reactions when people criticize it and say the kinds of things they do. It's a whole different world when it's your show and it changes your perspective considerably.

You'd be surprised at how often people come in, flame on about something they don't like and then leave in a huff, as though the server is there for their personal pleasure only. Night after night of things like this can leave us all a little short tempered or tend to steer our reactions into gruff, like or leave it responses. I think it is probably just the nature of hosting, something that is very hard to avoid but the best thing as a player imho is to have a thick skin of your own first. Think before you speak, take time to consider the hosts situation, give him a little room and don't expect he will have time to deal with you personally right there on the spot. You and I are singles out of many hundreds and even thousands of players that hosts have to deal with, I would never presume to be anything other than just another player while I was in game and flying.

It's probably a better idea to contact the host offline via their website or email, because after all when the host is online he's either flying to have fun or directly administering the server so that it remains a fun place to fly. I don't condone rude or arrogant behavior in general, but I certainly try to understand the other guys situation before I say something about it, or better yet, leave him be and try again another day.

Just my .02 rupees. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Intruder_GP
11-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Zen....quick question..where are you from since I see the Rupee reference.

Zen--
11-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Texas http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

T_O_A_D
11-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Ah I know the server. I have seen countless times the chat log was bieng used for sugestions instead of contributing to the fight at hand. The host hast to grow weary of such things clogging up the chat log.

It should be taken to the host through his forum or his contact info supplied in the briefing.

Hogging up chat log or a voicecoms also supplied a by host for such matters is not only rude to the host but to your fellow gamers trying to coordanate an attack.

Enjoy joy the game at hand and the time spent with your fellow enthusiest. Then take your comments good and bad to the other means of communication.

my 2 cents

RedDeth
11-02-2004, 11:59 AM
QUACKADILIAC !!!

AFJ hosts fullreal too. sometimes we get fools flying in our server with 1900 pings that wont leave. or guys that constantly argue with everyone.or guys that constantly unbalance teams to 3 to 1 odds

at these times it brings great pleasure to let them know how everyone feels of them by BOOTING them. over and over and over... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Zen--
11-02-2004, 12:00 PM
RJ,

I'm sure most of us could use a refresher in public relations, but look at it on the whole...without the hosts we have running such excellent servers, I'd have to get off my behind and run my own. So would you. I personally can live with some rude behavior if it means that I don't have to do anything other than click join and start flying, because in general I think people underestimate just how much work is involved in running a full time server. If they knew, I think many of the comments people make would probably decrease actually, but thats just my opinion.

Also while I appreciate your intent, saying things like the host is on a powertrip and that you will avoid the host doesn't cast a sympathetic light on your intentions...it sounds more like a thinly veiled shot, which can be construed as being a cheap one at that.

I think it best to PM the host in question if thats the way you feel, most of them really do care about their players and contacting them privately is probably going to get the message across better.

dshazel
11-02-2004, 01:29 PM
RJ,

Good points and I think anyone who fly€s HL regularly knows which host you are discussing. Saying that, I think you need to reread Zen€s posts and put yourself in the shoes of the host.

It€s obvious you like the server€s setup, the quality of competition, and the plane set. There is a reason why you keep returning and you should be giving the host credit where it is due. You do mention returning when the host is not online. I do hope you support this server financially. Otherwise, I would have to question your motives.

<S>,

JG14_Scot

diomedes33
11-02-2004, 02:02 PM
So far since I've had PF (4 days) I've ran into two stellar gems of the online community.

First instance was when I was flying a Wildcat on Japanese vs American planeset server. I engadged a rufe with American markings and won the engadgment. I then told him that the his plane had the wrong markings. He went into a tantrum called me a few names for shooting him down. I tried to explain to him that I was flying an american plane, he was the enemy. But he just kept ranting then left.

Last night I was cruising around at 6000 m and saw a long stream below me. As I got closer I realized it was wing tip smoke. I've accidently turned it on before and thought he just didn't realize it. So I said, "I can see you a mile away with that wing tip smoke" Intending to be a joke. He flew off tha handle called me names said how much he liked aerobatic flying. Then he left the server.

Either I have this knack for bringing out the best in people or there are some real angry people out there.

I can choose not to deal with these people but that admins have to. I can see how it starts to wear on their nerves after a while.

When the guests start treating the admins with the proper respect that they deserve (human decency), I suspect you'll get a more polite tone from them if you have a suggestion.

x__CRASH__x
04-03-2005, 10:57 PM
LMAO! He bought his way back into the server! LOL

Tully__
04-04-2005, 03:24 AM
In flight chat is for tactics, not map making seminars. Most hosts aren't tolerant of that, and most of the best hosts have websites/forums/email addies for that sort of not tactical discussion. Also most of the best hosts include as part of their server rules that in game chat is for tactical use only, not discussions about map design/plane choice/base placement/target placement etc...

Jumoschwanz
04-04-2005, 06:33 AM
"If you don't like it leave" is the best policy for running a server.

I have been watching poeple fly on these servers about since they started flying Il2 on Hyperlobby and I was still amazed recently when a virtual pilot that has been around for years came onto the server I was flying on and started typing into the chat bar about how bad the aaa was set up and how far apart the bases were on the server.

Until he came into the game there was just a bunch of us quietly going about our flying.

To me this would be like a pilot in WWII flying around with his squadron, crying about how long the flight was or that there were too many AAA bursts or the sun was in the wrong position or something else. It is just plain $tupid.
To simply solve this problem:

1. Look at the little check boxes that tell you what the server difficulty settings are before you join, if you don't like to fly with these settings, then it would make more sense to NOT JOIN then to join and cry about it.

2. Once you are in a game and you find you don't like something about the map or how it is set up, then simply quit and go find another server that is to your liking. ONLY AN 1DIOT WOULD THINK THAT HE IS GOING TO GO FROM SERVER TO SERVER AND CHANGE THEM ALL TO SUIT HIM.

3. The server admin spent HIS time and effort doing what HE wanted to do, he had enough love for the game and was nice enough to make something for everyone to enjoy. Your part is to accept the invitation, have enough brains to decide if it is to your taste or not, then have fun or leave and find a place where you can have fun.
4. If someone invited you over for a dinner party they worked hard on, and you sat there all night telling them about how they could do better, how do you think you would look to the host and the other guests?, like an 1DIOT? you bet you look like an 1diot.

Every 1diot in this world tries to change it to fit his "ideals". That is why the world is full of war and poverty.
Except in the case were human beings are being exploited or made to suffer, instead change your mind to fit the world. Keep the peacful places in the worl peacful, shut the F@#$%ck up! S!

Jumoschwanz

Wilburnator
04-04-2005, 04:06 PM
"If you don't like it, leave" is a pretty mild comment compared to what might be said, or done. I don't run a server, but I get sick of hearing it too when I'm playing. Some players can't ever seem shut up about the excessive flak/excessive lag/imbalanced plane set/or WHATEVER. I go to the hyperlobby to have some fun, if I don't like where I'm playing, I go somewhere else, I don't critique the server or it's host. If somebody is nice enough to create a server and pay for it, and allow me to play there, he can run it anyway he pleases.

FI_Willie
04-04-2005, 05:17 PM
I don't run a server for this game. However, I've had a server up for another game pretty much 24/7 for a couple of years in another game.

the "mouthy, disrespectful, punk" factor got SO bad, that we modded the admin set up to cripple or destroy problem players at will. IF they don't take the hint after the first warning, life gets REAL miserable for them in my server. I never minded decent suggestions and implemented a lot of them to make things more pleasant. I rarely play in my server because of the advantage I have with pings and zero lag. I'll drop in and chat with some buds occasionally and see how it is going if it's a busy day.

I'm always open to decent suggestions that are presented in a rational matter.

I can see both sides of this issue.

My dos pesos.

NorrisMcWhirter
04-04-2005, 05:32 PM
As most servers have supporting forums, it's better to go there and post valid complaints/criticsms in order to get a considered response.

Most server admins don't appreciate people who have spent 5 mins in the server crowing on about how they don't like this or that as chat....usually just before they say, "this server is full of noobs/this server is cr*p/you are all g*y", (delete as applicable) before leaving.

At least give the admin the opportunity to dish some abuse back just before banning you - it's so much more entertaining for everyone http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cheers,
Norris

LuckyBoy1
04-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Threads like this discourage me. Listening to this is kinda like watching someone be invited to a party and then be a critic of the food, drink and entertainment. If I was the host, I would have not said a thing. After all, I have a policy of not arguing with @ssh@oles. I'm only breaking my own policy to show hosts that I for one appreciate their efforts.

I would have simply kicked you and then banned you. The very same people who whine and complain are the very ones unwilling to host themselves. Want a prefect server? Host it yourself!

crazyivan1970
04-04-2005, 07:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Often times there will be chat going on between two players about a desire that they have for the map they are playing and the host will cut in and say something like, "If you don't like it leave".
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>'

And that how RJNewly met SPaRX http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

J U S T K I D D I N G!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Seriosly, i am pretty patient person.. but i don`t agree with you RJ.. To understand what hosts are going thru you have to host yourself, really. I have, for over 3 years... and still do, coops only but it doesn`t change anything http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hosting is something that moved by pure dedication and guests MUST respect that.. if someone doesnt like something, there is PM at the lobby, or e-mail or PT here...Bottom line there are many different ways to express your opinion in respectful, constructive manner. But unfortunately some preffer slamming hosting party in the game chat. And IMO "If you don`t like it, leave" is soft spoken... i usually initialize boot sequence http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

It`s time to step back and appriciate what those guys are doing. It`s freaking job, not a full time, but close to it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif