PDA

View Full Version : Help: Fraps & AntiVirus cause system slowdown...

Wild.Bill.Kelso
12-21-2007, 11:30 AM
I just purchased Fraps a few days ago, and when I run it with it just sitting in the System Tray (not capturing anything at all), many programs slow down on my system. Some slow down a little, and others slow down a lot. Two nights ago, while playing IL2 my system was terrable. I had to use Low/Very Low Graphics Settings to play the game. I closed Fraps and then I could play with Excellent Graphics Settings.

I narrowed it down to my Computer Associates EZAntiVirus. Without Fraps running, my system is fine. Then, I load Fraps and several apps slow down. Then I Snooze/Sleep the AntiVirus and everything runs fine again. I added Fraps to my RealTime Scanner Exclusion List, which should cause the AntiVirus Realtime Scanner to ignore/skip the Fraps.exe, but that didn't help. It only seems that Snoozing the AntiVirus helps.

Does anybody here use the CA EZAntiVirus and Fraps? I am running the latest version of the AntiVirus.

Thanks for any help...

WBK

fabianfred
12-22-2007, 02:53 AM
If I were you and playing il2 off-line...I would snooze the AV and have my firewall close the internet connection...
but if I were playing on-line at Hyperlobby...I would snooze the AV too...of course having closed anything else likely to use the internet such as browser or torrent or P2P..
I shouldn't think much could sneek in whilst you are only playing il2 on-line

Wild.Bill.Kelso
12-22-2007, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the reply Fabian!

I guess I'll have to do that if I want to use Fraps.

I found out yesterday that my ISP offered a new/different CA Security Package that included a new Firewall and AV. So, I uninstalled the old eTrust EZAntiVirus and Firewall, which was not going to be supported any more, and installed this one.

I still have the same problem, with the same solution. If Fraps is running, and I snooze this new AV, everything works fine again. Or, if I just don't use Fraps, everything works fine as well. So, this new Firewall didn't fix the problem. But snoozing it does? I don't understand.... But I guess your right. I'll just have to Snooze it...

LEBillfish
12-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Zone Alarm seemed for me to be one of the least demanding firewalls when flying the sim I've tried....Not much of a problem (as in seeming to affect the sim)....However;

Sounds to me as though Fraps is your problem...(don't use it so not sure what it does)...Yet point being if you don't need it to fly the sim then why have it on?

Frankly, I try to set up my PC software to only load up "on demand"...IOW, past the OS and a few system logging/event tracking and other modest services, and naturally firewall/anti-virus/spyware (as I'm on cable)....Nothing else is going on, and requires me to select to bring it up before any part of anything else starts.

You'd be stunned at how printers, word processors in fact most programs simply clog a PC's resources all acting as though that program is the sole reason for the PC's existance....In kind many want to "help you out" by continuously calling home for updates.

Some say "well use software that shuts down all the various things you don't want when running the sim"......I say why have it running in the first place as it slows everything else down too and only takes a split second to load it up anywho.

Here is a good place to start reducing PC load using MSConfig...... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=331796

Wild.Bill.Kelso
12-22-2007, 08:24 AM
I agree totally with you LEBillfish. I normally only have a few things running in my SysTray. I do know how to use msconfig to reboot to a clean/lite Windows, but prefer to run FSAutoStart to unload/reload stuff without rebooting. I can free up about 40meg that way.

I also do think it is Fraps, but not totally sure as I have not heard of anybody else having this problem. I did want to use Fraps for just screenshots while playing games, so all he screenshots were in the same folder, named nicly with the date, and a good .jpg format. (Some games save screenshots as .tga!)

The only problem I had with Fraps while playing a game so far was with IL2, and today I realized that I did in fact hit my video capture keys for Fraps while doing something else. So, now they are changed to something I won't hit by mistake.

Xiolablu3
12-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Hi mate, there is no need to have your AV on while you are playing games. it will just interfere and slow things down. Turn it off.

I dont even use a AV, I use common sense and a Hardware router with hardware firewall, plus zonealarm free, so that I know whats going in and out of my comp.

The rare time I have gotten a virus, I downloaded AV, installed it, ran it and then uninstalled.

I dont like having something running constantly, taking up resources on my comp. I like to keep it clean.

fabianfred
12-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
Zone Alarm seemed for me to be one of the least demanding firewalls when flying the sim I've tried....Not much of a problem (as in seeming to affect the sim)....However;

Sounds to me as though Fraps is your problem...(don't use it so not sure what it does)...Yet point being if you don't need it to fly the sim then why have it on?

Frankly, I try to set up my PC software to only load up "on demand"...IOW, past the OS and a few system logging/event tracking and other modest services, and naturally firewall/anti-virus/spyware (as I'm on cable)....Nothing else is going on, and requires me to select to bring it up before any part of anything else starts.

You'd be stunned at how printers, word processors in fact most programs simply clog a PC's resources all acting as though that program is the sole reason for the PC's existance....In kind many want to "help you out" by continuously calling home for updates.

Some say "well use software that shuts down all the various things you don't want when running the sim"......I say why have it running in the first place as it slows everything else down too and only takes a split second to load it up anywho.

absolutely right on the button BF....

I hate all those things which Demand their piece of the pie....
Zonealarm has a very good feature to quickly Lock the internet flow....but I uninstalled mine as it gave other problems...
Kaspersky is a good one too....

I now use the http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/
Geek version... which allows multi installs... so it is easy to keep backups of your C drive and also have a seperate 'Computer' just for il2...without any other unnecessary stuff installed

K_Freddie
12-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Depends on your screen res and at what Frame rate you want to capture. I've use fraps online while idling Fraps reports a 50+ FPS. when I capture at 25 FPS Fraps reports around 15-20 FPS game rate. This at 800x600x32 res. It's not much different at 640x480x32.

Also I have a bare minimum system running with only the basic processes running. Fraps will slow your FPS down to a barely playable rate, so I've opted to record replays instead.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Waldo.Pepper
12-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Does your computer have more than a single (proper as opposed to a partition) hard drive?

If yes, have fraps save to the fastest hard disk. (or perhaps the hard disk that is not running the game - in case your game is on the fastest one already.)

fabianfred
12-22-2007, 03:02 PM
I think most FRAPS users just use it for screenshots whilst in play...
to actually use it to capture it is normal to do so from previously saved tracks or ntrks....where you have a lot more control

Loco-S
12-22-2007, 03:18 PM
ditch the antivirus you have and use AVG free edition:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-anti-virus/us/frt/0

also there is a better in game capture program I have used several times, no slow downs:

http://growlersoftware.com/helpv2/