PDA

View Full Version : Hotas section of control setting in il2+AEP+PF problem

PapaG39
05-26-2005, 08:21 AM
For some unknown reason the Hotas section of control settings in the game has quit working.
I noticed it when my control inputs stopped working properly.

you can make changes in the controls section normally EXCEPT under the HOTAS ..
When I click on a setting under the Hotas area the little window that normally comes up to the right of the item that you want to make an input to just blinks & won't let you make any changes.

It has been so long since I've had any problems with IL2 that I can't remember how to get that hotas section functioning again.

I have the CH Fighter stick & CH Pro Pedals to which I have un-re-installed the drivers ...no help.
I am using the Saitek X45 power levers for flaps, prop pitch & a few other buttons which work just fine except for those items which are under the HOTAS section... re doing the drivers for the saitek didn't help either...

nor did recalibrating ...

Is there a-way to just load from the disk the hotas section? Where would it be hiding..I can't find it...

PapaG39
05-26-2005, 08:21 AM
For some unknown reason the Hotas section of control settings in the game has quit working.
I noticed it when my control inputs stopped working properly.

you can make changes in the controls section normally EXCEPT under the HOTAS ..
When I click on a setting under the Hotas area the little window that normally comes up to the right of the item that you want to make an input to just blinks & won't let you make any changes.

It has been so long since I've had any problems with IL2 that I can't remember how to get that hotas section functioning again.

I have the CH Fighter stick & CH Pro Pedals to which I have un-re-installed the drivers ...no help.
I am using the Saitek X45 power levers for flaps, prop pitch & a few other buttons which work just fine except for those items which are under the HOTAS section... re doing the drivers for the saitek didn't help either...

nor did recalibrating ...

Is there a-way to just load from the disk the hotas section? Where would it be hiding..I can't find it...

flox
05-26-2005, 08:33 AM
That's a really strange problem. I would post this in Community Help.

steve_v
05-26-2005, 08:51 AM
Every pilot has his own HOTAS setup. In the User folder, in each pilot folder, is a setting file. I am posting my HOTAS settings from it along with what in looks like in Controls. (x45 and CH Pro pedals)

[HotKey move]
AXE_RX JoystickDevice1=-trimrudder
AXE_U JoystickDevice1=-trimelevator
AXE_X JoystickDevice1=aileron
AXE_X JoystickDevice0=brakes
AXE_Y JoystickDevice1=elevator
AXE_Z JoystickDevice1=-power
AXE_Z JoystickDevice0=rudder

http://home.earthlink.net/~viner45/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/pedals.jpg

PapaG39
05-26-2005, 04:25 PM
Yeah Steve v...thats it...mine looks the same..with the exception of flaps/props & brakes are also filled in, but they don't work & when I click on one of those settings on the right all it does is blink & go away ..I can't input any control setting. I just don't want to uninstall & reinstall the whole game because I have forgotten the proper uninstall & complete reinstall, which patches etc scenario..lol..

I was hoping that I could just reinstall just the needed files froml the cd back into/over the already installed game files.

Waldo.Pepper
05-26-2005, 06:55 PM
I think I may know what is happening.

When you are clicking on the item you want to modify, inadvertently an input is being made (likely by one of your controler/items). If a pot is spiking inside one of the stick/rudder/throttles (whatever) it will send a signal before you get to input anything.

To test this unplug each item (rebooting after each attempt) until (I betcha) the problem goes away and it lets you input something/anything.

I had something similar to what you are describing happen to myself.

Good luck.

PapaG39
05-26-2005, 08:12 PM
that is exactly what is happening...Thanks...I'll try it...

PapaG39
05-26-2005, 10:09 PM
WEll, I tried your suggested method & found that the culprut was my saitek power lever.

good call... thanks...

I reached up in my closet & took down the box with the "brand new" x45 that has been sitting there for a year or so & plugged it into the system.

now the in-game controlls are accepting the control inputs just like it should..however, I can get everything to operate just like it always has except for the power control of the x45.
That will not work...

I'm close to back to normal, but for the pesky power part not working...
the flaps & props on the wheel controls work just like before along with the various buttons...

any other ideas???

Waldo.Pepper
05-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Well I tell ya there Papa... if I understand correctly the pot that is being actuated by your power lever on the hotas of your x-45 is defective/dirty/hooped. There is a prouduct that you can spray on the pot (a cleaner... can't remember the name but you might find the name if you do a search for it in the community help forum.... ??) You will need to open up the throttle part to clean it. But first try the following. (just in case).

Anyway in case this is not the case, you could try the following. To assign power to the throttle on the x-45 hotas you can always try to hack into the ini file in notepad to find out.

Here is how.

First go to control panel to determine which device id your x-45.

The rest of this is written assuming that it is device id 0 (zero).

So right click on your il2/fb folder and do a search for settings.ini

Make a backup of this file first.

After you have made a backup of the file, open it up in notepad and find the line

AXE_U JoystickDevice0=

Change it to read the following

AXE_U JoystickDevice0=-power

(If you x-45 is something other than device id=o in control panel it will read something other than zero but I figured you have a head on your shoulders and can figure it out.

After you make the change go save it.

Then start pf.

Then check in the controls - hotas to see what it says there, to see if the change took or not.

Then go for a test flight.

Hopefully you have made the change you need.

Hope all this was clear enough.

Let me know how it went.

Good luck Papa.

PapaG39
05-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Is this what you are talking about?

[HotKey move]
AXE_RX JoystickDevice2=flaps
AXE_U JoystickDevice2=-power
AXE_V JoystickDevice2=pitch
AXE_X JoystickDevice1=aileron
AXE_Y JoystickDevice1=elevator
AXE_Y JoystickDevice0=brakes
AXE_Z JoystickDevice0=rudder

I am not sure (not even a little bit) what I am looking at here.

My CH fikghterstick USB should be the pitch & roll.

the CH udder Pedals should be the brakes & yaw.

The X45 should be the power, flaps & props.

I found this info in:

C:/program files/il2 sturmovik forgotten battles/users/doe

so what should I do now?

Waldo.Pepper
05-27-2005, 08:46 AM
Start
settings
control panel
game controllers

What device id is your x-45?

PapaG39
05-27-2005, 04:42 PM
CH Pro Pedals USB...............Status OK
CH Fighterstick USB.............Status OK
Saitek X45 Flight Controller....Status OK

It is the #3 in the list.

Waldo.Pepper
05-27-2005, 05:33 PM
OK Papa I think we are in the home stretch OK?

When you are in control panel does the throttle part of the X-45 test ok? (While you are there please recalibrate it also).

The settings.ini file you are reading from applies to user/pilot doe.

When you start PF in the upper right hand corner of the screen does it say John Mad Doe?

Go and look in controls hotas section for what it says beside power does it say the following

Power -U slider ID3

Go test fly now.

Also check PM's here please.