PDA

View Full Version : Calories not even close.

Darkman1969
11-28-2010, 11:18 AM
After doing the 28 minute Cardio Racer and only being credited for 160 calories burned, I knew there was something wrong. By the end of the routine, I was really huffing and puffing and sweating.

So, I decided to check it with my Polar Heart Rate monitor and the difference was shocking!

For the cardio racer portion, the game credited me for 162 calories burned for a nearly 30 minute program. The watch had me at 375! Personally, I believe the watch is more accurate based on my own testing. By the end of the day of workouts, the game had me at 292 and my watch had me at 535.

That's quite a difference folks. I know the game can't be extremely accurate, but man, it should be closer than being off by nearly double
!

mpmcgeehan
12-01-2010, 08:52 AM
I totally agree, the calorie count on the game is way too low! I'm shocked that with all the bragging about this game from Uplay, they would not address this and some other critical issues that others are having.

kh965
12-02-2010, 07:26 AM
I just wanted to give another take on the calorie burn count, and I'm sure if varies for everyone. Up until June of last year I used various Polar heart rate monitors to see calories burned. That June I switched to a bodybugg to see how that worked for me. The difference was significant, the Polar measured me significantly higher on every workout I did, compared to the bodybugg, when I say higher I mean 200-300 calories higher. Based on the boost I had in weight loss after switching to the bodybugg I have to say that it is more accurate for me. Comparing the bodybugg measurement to the your shape fitness measurement they are fairly close for me, within 20-30 calories. Again I'm sure it varies for everyone, but that is how it has been for me.

Gypsy816
12-06-2010, 04:15 PM
In regards to the calorie counter:

For Your Shape Fitness Evolved, we really wanted to focus on a handsfree experience. Also, we had a fitness coach staffed on our team full time that helped the game designers with the calorie count. What we did was measure how many calories each move was worth. Combined with the weight and age of the person (input at the beginning of the game), we can then determine with more precision the calories they will burn during their workout.

BobV13
12-08-2010, 09:56 AM
I think the problem/story with the counter is that if you are not in sync or do the exercise incorrectly you get zero or little credit.

Therefore as you become more accustomed to each routeen and thus become more in sync with the trainer your calorie count will increase (become more accurate)

where is the spell check?

LilliX013
12-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Gypsy816:
In regards to the calorie counter:

For Your Shape Fitness Evolved, we really wanted to focus on a handsfree experience. Also, we had a fitness coach staffed on our team full time that helped the game designers with the calorie count. What we did was measure how many calories each move was worth. Combined with the weight and age of the person (input at the beginning of the game), we can then determine with more precision the calories they will burn during their workout.

It would be great if you could release some kind of "heart rate monitor"-watch to wear (that would be connected to the game) while you play to get the right amount of calories.

SIRJACKHAMMER
01-01-2011, 01:04 PM
I hope that in the future UBI can place a computer chip in my skin so I can can credit for running after my kids all day.

AuntieParticle
01-02-2011, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by LilliX013:

It would be great if you could release some kind of "heart rate monitor"-watch to wear (that would be connected to the game) while you play to get the right amount of calories.

I've just gotten a copy of EA Sports Active 2 which has a heart rate monitor and I don't find that it keeps track of my calories any more accurately than YSFE. That is not to say that I think either one of them is doing a poor job. I think they're both reasonable enough to give you some indication of the work you've done and the progress you're making. And if you're wanting to compete with your calorie counts you know that we're all being measured by a similar standard.

Originally posted by SIRJACKHAMMER:

I hope that in the future UBI can place a computer chip in my skin so I can can credit for running after my kids all day.

LOL! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

rmu2867
01-30-2011, 12:08 PM
I wore my Polar HR monitor (w/chest strap) today and found that YSFE was about 1/3 of actual calories burned during the duration of a 20 minute exercise. Partially that is due to calories only being counted during activity, not rests in between. Partially it is due to an average for the exercise regardless. I'm 6'5" and 220 so that may throw it off a bit. Since the Polar chest strap works with gym equipment wirelessly, it would be cool for YSFE2 (or an accessory) to be able to use the real data from a HR monitor like this. The in game calories are a nice way to keep score but I agree with others that they're way off.

rmu2867
01-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by NanoParticle:

I've just gotten a copy of EA Sports Active 2 which has a heart rate monitor and I don't find that it keeps track of my calories any more accurately than YSFE. That is not to say that I think either one of them is doing a poor job. I think they're both reasonable enough to give you some indication of the work you've done and the progress you're making. And if you're wanting to compete with your calorie counts you know that we're all being measured by a similar standard.

I believe that the EA sports monitor is worn on the arm, not a chest strap. I would not expect that to be as accurate as a standard chest strap monitor.