PDA

View Full Version : "Air Force" is out on DVD

Worf101
06-12-2007, 05:32 PM
I just took the afternoon off and watched one of my old faves.

"Air Force" by Howard Hawks

This classic follows the real life exploits of the B-17 "Mary Ann" who was part of that flight of Forts that flew into Hickham on Dec. 7, 1941. Propaganda? Without a doubt but glorious. Yeah the Japanese fighters are all wrong and the stock footage mixes different models of 17's all the time. But you see plenty of P-40's and P-39's all over the place. The war was still on when this film was shot and the ending's still in doubt so you'll hear a lot of untrue tales of "Jap Sabatage" in Hawaii when none occured, at least to MY knowledge. Taken in context its a great movie.

Da Worfster

woofiedog
06-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Air Force is a Great movie. Wake Isalnd is another I also liked.

Victory Movie's! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

http://images.art.com/images/products/regular/10109000/10109886.jpg

M_Gunz
06-13-2007, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Worf101:
I just took the afternoon off and watched one of my old faves.

"Air Force" by Howard Hawks

This classic follows the real life exploits of the B-17 "Mary Ann" who was part of that flight of Forts that flew into Hickham on Dec. 7, 1941. Propaganda? Without a doubt but glorious. Yeah the Japanese fighters are all wrong and the stock footage mixes different models of 17's all the time. But you see plenty of P-40's and P-39's all over the place. The war was still on when this film was shot and the ending's still in doubt so you'll hear a lot of untrue tales of "Jap Sabatage" in Hawaii when none occured, at least to MY knowledge. Taken in context its a great movie.

Da Worfster

I hope they didn't show more than 2 P-40's against the attack on Pearl but I did find reviews.

Amazon buy-it page with reviews. (http://www.amazon.com/Air-Force-John-Ridgely/dp/customer-reviews/B000NTPG5M)

People who watch it should keep in mind that the film was propaganda worthy of some other country
that produced rafts of their own and were hated for it by Americans. Sorry if that rubs anyone
badly but that's reality. It was War and the times and needs (can you say "Bond Drive"? how
about "need for more troops"?) did call for such. Don't ask what soldiers get told if you don't
already know --- and Da Worfster, he do know!

I picked the below for it's not bad, says what-why and tells about another film that I had not
heard about before. So far the only PH film I keep around is Tora-Tora-Tora. But THIS ONE
looks like something I might get anyway, keeping the times in mind when viewing. After all
it does have elements of the bomber crew welding into a team and that is to me kinda gold.

What was laughable was the scene where the Mary Ann makes an emergency landing on Maui instead of Hickam Field on Dec 7th. Upon landing they're fired upon by local island Japanese. Throughout the movie there are references to sabatoge committed by Japanese Americans in Hawaii on Dec 7th 1941. Upon landing at Hickam Field ("because the Japs on Maui were shooting at us") a colonel goes on about Japanese vegetable trucks driving onto the runway at Hickam and crashing the tails of rows of P-40s before the attack. Never happened. In truth, there were no acts of sabatoge committed by the Japanese population in Hawaii.

<snip>

May I suggest people watch the movie "Go For Broke" after watching Air Force to educate themselves on what "really" happened in WWII.

EDIT: just looked up "Go For Broke!" and it is the story of the all Japanese-American 442nd
Regimental Combat Team.

GO FOR BROKE! opens with an except from a proclamation from President Roosevelt announcing the formation of the 442nd - "Americanism is not, and never was, a matter of race or ancestry." Featuring many 442nd veterans in the movie it has a layer of reality that most war movies lack, and it doesn't flinch from displaying the bitterness felt by some of the soldiers. In many ways it's similar to the Civil War movie GLORY, the movie about the Massachusetts 54th Colored Regiment starring Matthew Broderick, Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington. The production values aren't as high in this one, although the combat sequences are well done, and the acting talents isn't nearly of the caliber of GLORY, but GO FOR BROKE! touches the same themes, and GLORY can't touch the verisimilitude GO FOR BROKE! and its army veteran actors achieve.

Rjel
06-13-2007, 03:21 AM
Air Force was a rah-rah film, like hundreds of others made during WWII. It was made as entertainment for the homefront. Obviously, it's made to make the American people feel good at a time when the war was still in doubt. While it has propagandist overtones, I think there's a huge difference between a film meant as entertainment and newsreels shown by nearly every combatant country that distorted and even lied to their audience. Those types of newsreels were presented as factual for a public not having very many other sources of timely information to go by.

As for films from the era, I'd suggest "God is my Co-pilot". Based on a book by Col. Robert Scott, he served as a technical supervisor on the film and even flew some of the scenes in the movie. It isn't on DVD yet, but is shown on Turner Classic Movies quite frequently.