PDA

View Full Version : Some things i would like to see in the new sim...

NekoReaperman
12-20-2005, 01:14 PM
Just wanted to say some things i thought of for the new flight sim, and what you all thought of them...

1. Realistic startup procedure

Few things in life are more satisfying then engaging the magneto's, playing with switches, and hearing a giant engine roar to life right in front of you..., i would like as an option (toggleable, for the people who are not huge airplane nerds) the ability to click switches in the cockpit and start an airplane due to a real checklist, RPM, Mixture, Magnetos, fuel selector switch, ect... something like this would really immerse you as a pilot...

2. Airfield, your home away from home

In the style of the great simulators of the early 90's (Aces over europe, Aces of the deep, ect) I would like a more in-depth "Airfield" experiance... Like a barracks area (even a 2d menu) where you could listen to the radio (again, text to make the workload less) for the latest war news or popular music of the age, or talk to a squadronmate about war stories (generic ones like "Yesterday me and joe and ronnine jumped a flight of XXX's, we killed X of them, but joe had to bellyland in XXX airfield..."). Or maybe when you heard the scramble bell you have to "run" (click around untill you reach the "field" area) to your airplane and "hear" the briefing right there on the field (text). Things like this will show that there is more to your home base then a runway and a few static objects...

3. Missions have long-lasting effects

Part of the tail shot off in a dogfight? That airplane could maybe have a mismatched tail section, as they replace it from a plane with a differant paint job. Bombing run on the airfield last week? Your hangers are destoryed, but you see little workers running around with boards and tools and in a few days it is fixed... Bombing campaign late in the day? That night you might see the fires glowing in the distance from your airfield... Little touches like this will make it eisier to tell that there is a war on, and you are living in it...

4. My airplane, my squaron
Something i always missed in Il2 was the ability to have "my" airplane... while this might not be historical for one pilot to have one airplane, i would like to see kill markings, little crosses where bullets have landed (did they still do that in WW2?), nose art (for the correct armies), your name written near the cockpit ect... It would just be cool to walk over to a line of airplanes and you can tell by looking which one is "yours"

All effort should be made to flesh out the offline campaign mode, as it will probibly be the main mode played by buyers of the game...

danjama
12-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Cool

Airmail109
12-20-2005, 02:18 PM
The first one better bloody well be in! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

and for 2) I remember this in an old sim called Wings of Glory, was cool! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

In fact all the ideas are great! 3 sounds good, ive banged on about needing more immersion in Il2 for a while.

PBNA-Boosher
12-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Interesting suggestions, but even for one of those things it could require thousands of lines of code which might be better spent on the physics engine.

Airmail109
12-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Dual core? maybe that would help Boosher!