PDA

View Full Version : OT - UK is now debt free

Hoenire
12-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Yesterday the UK made its last repayment to the US for the war loans in WWII.

Thank you US for helping us in our time of need.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ps its a shame the US administration now doesn't comprise the same type of men and women that it used to.

Deadmeat313
12-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Aw dude, don't take a good thread and make it all political with the Good US/Bad US thing. You'll find heroes and villains there, just like everywhere else in the world.

As a Brit, I am somewhat proud that the UK has paid its debt. Does anybody know if any other nations have repaid their Lend Lease?

~S~

T.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

StG2_Schlachter
12-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Just some questions here, just curious.

Did the UK pay what they ordered or what made it across the atlantic?

Which amount needed to be paid? Was inflation considered?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://www.stg2immelmann.de/pics/stg2.jpg

Deadmeat313
12-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Heh, I never thought of that before. My understanding though is that the deal very much favoured the borrower (the UK in this case), as the purpose of the loan was to keep buckling allied economies in fighting form. I don't think

StG2_Schlachter
12-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Well, I am glad that Germany doesn't pay any reperations (don't get me wrong, maybe it should). That would be our financial doom. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://www.stg2immelmann.de/pics/stg2.jpg

MB_Avro_UK
12-29-2006, 11:50 AM
hi Schlachter,

I seem to remember that Germany has paid the US and British Governments every year for their bases in Germany. I may be wrong but maybe someone else can confirm this?

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

huggy87
12-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks for repaying the debt guys. We all got a nice kickback on our taxes from it. Mine was for $842.53 USD- just enough for that new monitor.

Rammjaeger
12-30-2006, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by CAF96th_Sillyak:
reperations would have been a bad idea, reperations from WWI were a factor leading to WWII.

Defeated aggressor countries are normally obliged to pay reparations after the war; WW2 was no exception. Germany and Hungary paid reparations to the USSR, Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia, Japan paid reparations to South Korea, Philippines etc.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"At last we are eye to eye with death. We must renounce all hopes of freaks and fortunes. Sacrifice to the last drop of blood is demanded of us. Surrender would paralyse and sap our race for generations." - Wehrmacht radio broadcast to German troops in Hungary, October 1944

Bewolf
12-30-2006, 04:14 AM
Reperations and Germany is a complicated matter. In fact the allies planned to dismantle all of the germany heavy industries and transfer the country into a purely agricultural nation. Known as the Morgenthau Plan, it was intended to riddle Germany of all its war making capabilities. I think those plants were to be transferred to France and Britain as compisation.

Directly after the war this process actually started, and factories were dismantled both in the west and in the east.

In the western occupation zone two things soon changed this policy.

1. The dawn of the cold war. It was soon recognized that the US and the USSR had rising political problems with each other. This went as far as the danger of a new war was seen. Germany, due to its center of that potential conflict, was needed here. And you hardly can count on a people that got pushed back into the middle ages both in capabilities and/or loyalty.

2. Traditionally Germany was the economical motor of Europe. Without a flourishing german economy the rebuild of western Europe was seen as a real problem. This phenomenon can be seen to this very day. If the german economy goes down all of Europe suffers, if it flourishes it benefits. In the 50ies, with the german "Wirtschaftswunder", this was demonstrated to its fullest.

Thus by 1948 the dismantling of factories stopped.

In the eastern occupation zone dismantling was in full swing for a much longer time, huge amounts of production capabilities transferred to the USSR. The GDR never recovered from that until its collaps in 1990. One could argue that those transfers are the roots of the collaps of the whole eastern block later on, as Germany before the war played the same economical role in the east as in the west and was out of the game after the war.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Bewolf

Never discuss with stupid people.
They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Aaron_GT
12-30-2006, 06:01 AM
Directly after the war this process actually started, and factories were dismantled both in the west and in the east.

It may actually have done Germany a favour, though, as all the old fashioned equipment was removed so Germany had to invest in the latest equipment.

SeaFireLIV
12-30-2006, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by CAF96th_Sillyak:
reperations would have been a bad idea, reperations from WWI were a factor leading to WWII.

It`s not reparations that`s bad. It`s HARSH reaparations that cause the problems. A country must be punished if it starts a war and loses.

hmmm, I was gonna change that last sentence, butit actually works on further thought.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"If it burns, it is confirmed."

Ivan Lukich Zvyagin

DuxCorvan
12-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
A country must be punished if it starts a war and loses.

Countries which lose wars are always punished, independently of starting the war or not.

To quote Clint Eastwood in 'Unforgiven': "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

SeaFireLIV
12-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

Countries which lose wars are always punished, independently of starting the war or not.

To quote Clint Eastwood in 'Unforgiven': "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true too, but slightly different to my point of a country that must be punished if it starts a war as opposed to being arbitrarily punished because it lost even if it never began the conflict.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"If it burns, it is confirmed."

Ivan Lukich Zvyagin

DarkWingDuck...
12-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

To quote Clint Eastwood in 'Unforgiven': "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true too, but slightly different to my point of a country that must be punished if it starts a war as opposed to being arbitrarily punished because it lost even if it never began the conflict. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah..doesnt always happen<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

QUACK

ploughman
12-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Hubris has its own reward...eventually.

Just look at the Romans, 1,200 years of kicking-in other people and they get conquered by...the Italians.

How bad is that?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/mctomney/clivesanta.png
Dum spiro, spero