PDA

View Full Version : take off problems

f.ip2
08-12-2007, 01:23 PM
ok here is the deal:

form a carrier or inside a tunnel to start is a major pain for me. 90 i crash. the plane jumps so much left and right.

is this really normal to those planes???

on a carrier you do not have much space to fly snake lines - you either ditch or crash ...

how do you manage it?

f.ip2
08-12-2007, 01:23 PM
ok here is the deal:

form a carrier or inside a tunnel to start is a major pain for me. 90 i crash. the plane jumps so much left and right.

is this really normal to those planes???

on a carrier you do not have much space to fly snake lines - you either ditch or crash ...

how do you manage it?

Xiolablu3
08-12-2007, 01:33 PM
1: Take off flaps, or even landing flaps if you have bombs.
2:Full throttle and WEP
3. Release chocks.
5. Use rudder to steer down the deck.
6. As you approach the end of the runway, Ease back on the stick.
7. DOnt climb sharply until you hae picked up speed.
8. Up with flaps in stages, as you pick up speed.

Practice with a Zero, they are easy planes to get off a carrier.

Choctaw111
08-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Well, I am not sure what planes you are talking about exactly. Is "90" your speed? Try increasing your fuel mix to 120%. That will help a little. Put in a few notches of up elevator trim. Rev your engine to full throttle + WEP BEFORE releasing your chocks then make your way down the carrier deck (with your flaps UP) till you get about half way down the runway then dump your flaps to take off. As soon as you clear the end of the carrier, raise your gear, and then bump your flaps up to combat. As your speed slowly increases move your flaps to the full up position. Then change you fuel mix back to 100%. I hope this helps.

strider1
08-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Welcome here.
In addition to the good tips above, it sounds like you're not using rudder at all or are over-controlling. If your rudder controls are by mapped keys on the keyboard, try just tapping the appropriate key very quickly rather than holding it down as when you taxi. Watch yourself with F2 when on the ground to see the key applies full rudder, nothing in between. The great thing about pedals is the ability to add just as much as you need at the time.
Off a carrier, keep the canopy closed for take-off (every bit of drag counts). Use 25% fuel and no load-out until you get used to it, then add a bit more weight when you feel confident. Zero to start is a good choice, so is the SBD. Be prepared to raise gear AS SOON AS you leave the deck. I usually hit "gear up" when I see the end of the deck at my front wing root. Be prepared also for some "sink" off the end of the deck, just be gentle with the stick and don't yank it back. Correct any wing drop (roll) with rudder taps, not aeileron.
Search for a thread or any post by Zeus-Cat who has a great campaign called "Straight From The Farm", intended to teach all the above and much more, including dive bombing. Highly recommended by many here.
Needless to say, it takes practice. Stick with it and you'll get it down quickly.Takes some repetition to get all the steps and timing.
Good luck and Cheers!

FoolTrottel
08-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Lock tailwheel?

p-11.cAce
08-12-2007, 02:48 PM
All the above are good but the real simple answer, as Folltrottle said, is to lock the tailwheel. I lock tailwheel before every takeoff (and the real life pilots did as well) - it is important!

f.ip2
08-12-2007, 04:31 PM
lock the tail wheel? mh this helps to keep the plane go more straight?

I have issues with the rudder and I think I am somehow overpowering it. When I try to use the rudder gentle the plane just goes either left or right and not a little left or right, so I pull hard the rudder to the other direction.

at one point than the plane switches the direction I am entering the snake trail path ...

Taylortony
08-12-2007, 04:34 PM
yes locking the tailwheel keeps it straighter....... think of a shopping trolley and how that goes where it wants, the tail wheel on the aircraft behaves the same http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif