PDA

View Full Version : OT: MPM 1:48 Scale Fulmar

leitmotiv
04-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Just received here in the States from Great Models (I noticed even Hannants in the UK does not have them yet!). Incredible model. Surface detail right up to Tamigawa standards. Molding of parts impressively thin---seats nearly as thin as resin. Finally, a Fulmar, and a great one at that. MPM's 1:48 Skua due next month. The FAA is finally getting its early war aircraft. P.S. Tamiya just released their 1:48 Swordfish Mk II with radar and rockets.

leitmotiv
04-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Just received here in the States from Great Models (I noticed even Hannants in the UK does not have them yet!). Incredible model. Surface detail right up to Tamigawa standards. Molding of parts impressively thin---seats nearly as thin as resin. Finally, a Fulmar, and a great one at that. MPM's 1:48 Skua due next month. The FAA is finally getting its early war aircraft. P.S. Tamiya just released their 1:48 Swordfish Mk II with radar and rockets.

joeap
04-07-2007, 03:46 AM
Well about time, too bad I don't build models any more (no patience or skill). Post pics when you finish.

major_setback
04-07-2007, 04:52 AM
I was just reading about the Fulmar the other day.

The Fulmar:

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">
" Between September 1940 and August 1942, the Fairey Fulmar shot down 112 enemy aircraft, accounting for an astonishing 30% of FAA's (Fleet Air Arm's) tally during that period.
Designed to patrol for up to six hours the Fulmer was armed with a battery of eigth .303 machine guns each with a mind-boggling 750 rounds per gun (double that of the Spitfire and Hurricane), and later with 1000 rounds per gun....The first Fulmar made it's maiden flight on 4th January 1940, and proved slow in level flight, with a very limited cieling, but enormouslly fast in even a shallow dive, thanks to its heavy weight. Easy to deck-land the Fulmar was a very much better aircraft than the specification figures might suggest, and some 600 were eventually built.No806 squadron was the first frontline Fulmer unit, equipping Eastleigh from June 1940. Then Squadron then embarked on HMS Illustrious for an abbreviated work-up before heading to the Meditteranean. The second Fulmer unit was No808 Squadron, which formed at Worthy Down in July and then took up station in the Orkneys in September. Although the unit saw no action it was officially part of Fighter Command's Battle of Britain order o battle, one of the two Royal Navy units so included."</span>
From the illustrated The Battle of Britain by John Lake.
I thoroughly recommend this book, it gives a day-by-day account of the battles and battle losses during BoB. It also has plenty of good photos and illustrations. German and British records are apparently very good for this period, and the Battle really comes to life when you read exactly how many aircraft were involved in each raid, and the types of damage/losses suffered by each side.

major_setback
04-07-2007, 05:08 AM
http://www.modelforum.cz/web/image/200611071339_48056%20Fulmar.jpg

leitmotiv
04-07-2007, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the tip, MS. The ILLUSTRIOUS Fulmars were briefly the holy terrors of the Med, see TO WAR IN A STRINGBAG for their run. Unfortunately, ILLUS was put out of action by von Richthofen's crack anti-shipping dive bombers in Jan 1941. Always have been a Fulmar fan. Can't wait for somebody to do one for BOB.