PDA

View Full Version : armistice day

WTE_DuStA
11-10-2004, 08:06 PM
More than 416 000 Australians volunteered for service in World War I. Of these, 324 000 served overseas. More than 60 000 Australians were killed, including 45 000 who died on the Western Front in France and Belgium and more than 8 000 who died on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey.

In Australia and other allied countries, including New Zealand, Canada and the United States, 11 November became known as Armistice Day - a day to remember those who died in World War I. The day continues to be commemorated in Allied countries.

Let us pay respect to the brave people who fought for our country and esp to those people who had family perish in conditions that i cannot comprehend. Their bravery and sacrifice of their lives makes me proud to be australian

RepublicofTexas
11-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Amen Bro,

Australia has been a great American allie for many years now. Your country fights with the U.S. today in the war on terror. God Bless our boys fighting evil in Fallujah.

Atomic_Marten
11-10-2004, 09:30 PM
http://forums.il2skins.com/images/smiles/eusa_clap.gif

WTE_Galway
11-10-2004, 11:40 PM
dreadful war

typified by the insanity of the Somme

Haig used 750,000 men (27 divisions) against the German front-line (16 divisions). However, the bombardment failed to destroy either the barbed-wire or the concrete bunkers protecting the German soldiers. Despite this they attacked anyway. This meant that the Germans were able to exploit their good defensive positions on higher ground when the British and French troops attacked at 7.30 on the morning of the 1st July. The BEF suffered 58,000 casualties (a third of them killed), therefore making it the worse day in the history of the British Army.

Haig was not disheartened by these heavy losses on the first day and ordered General Sir Henry Rawlinson to continue making attacks on the German front-line.

On 15th September General Alfred Micheler and the Tenth Army joined the battle in the south at Flers-Courcelette. Despite using tanks for the first time, Micheler's 12 divisions gained only a few kilometres. Whenever the weather was appropriate, General Sir Douglas Haig ordered further attacks on German positions at the Somme and on the 13th November the BEF captured the fortress at Beaumont Hamel. However, heavy snow forced Haig to abandon his gains.

With the winter weather deteriorating Haig now brought an end to the Somme offensive. Since the 1st July, the British has suffered 420,000 casualties. The French lost nearly 200,000 and it is estimated that German casualties were in the region of 500,000.

Allied forces gained some land but it reached only 12km at its deepest points.

Proberton
11-11-2004, 02:30 AM

Salfordian
11-11-2004, 02:47 AM
Sad to say I'm seeing fewer and fewer people wearing poppies these days to commemorate this time of year, and sadder still fewer veterans selling them in my local town centre.
At least this office will respect the 2 minutes at 11am. Hope others do to.

Simjock
11-11-2004, 08:25 AM
Here in the States we call Armistice day, Veterans day. We remember all veterans of all wars on one day.

So, To all my brothers out there fighting today, and those long gone...

...Salute
http://www.kestan.com/dcstock/monuments/4222%20Iwo%20Jima%20sillouette.jpg

Rola.
11-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Here in Poland we celebrate 11/11 as the Indepedence Day.

The Great War weakened Germany, Austria and Russia, who were occupying Poland for 123 years. After the armstice, the Regents' Council which was controlling central Poland, handed over the power over the country to Jozef Pilsudski, who became the Chief of State. Marshal Pilsudski was one of those great pariots, who helped our country to return on the map of the Europe. This didn't bring peace immediately, as two more years of bitter border fights followed (both on the West and the East), ended by our trimph of repelling Soviet invasion in 1920.

Too bad that the peace in Europe lasted only two decades, snuffed out by aggressive totalitarian powers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

LStarosta
11-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Viva <span class="ev_code_RED">Polonia</span>

MOhz
11-11-2004, 01:51 PM
I do not see why the German soldiers should not get their respects. WWI was not about exterminating Jews. German was the aggressor and that was/is wrong but people, every soldier that was killed (maimed as well (?)) had their family tragedy. I am not accusing or attacking anyone, but I think just because the Allies won and Germany was the stupid for starting such a war (even though some might argue that was not Germany alone, which in a way it was not) does not mean that soldiers who died should not get their respects. If anyone has watched for example (I forget the exact title but something like) "All Calm on the Western Front" then you realize that the soldiers (civilians as well) were the victims of bad politics of Europe. My 1 cent

MOhz
11-11-2004, 01:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rola.:
Too bad that the peace in Europe lasted only two decades, snuffed out by aggressive totalitarian powers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was no real peace which is one problem that led to WW2. You say peace, but what you mean is that there was no fighting between countries, but there still existed a lot internal and external problems within Europe and the world. The UN predecessor collased under the strains of this political chaos of that time. Example, Germany: there was street figthting in Berlin end of 30s. French troops in the Ruhr at the end of WWI which fed hatred against Allies. Example Japan: it was going rampant in the far east, invading philipenes, China, Korea and who knows what else because they needed fuel and space. Example Italy: They used gas against Ethopians as revenge and the International community didnt do much about it. These are just a few factors but they show clearly that a real peace did not exist. As a matter of fact look at the world today... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

PF_Talus
11-11-2004, 02:20 PM
It is a shame that we use this dark day in history as a way to give thanks to our Veterans. Many modern historians mark this day as the first step towards WWII. The total humiliation of Germany in the Treaty of Versailles marks a true low point in history. Instead of taking steps to prevent future wars after this one, which was perhaps the most grusome and definitely the most pointless, the French and British insisted upon the total castration of Germany. I mean no disrespect to the Vets of any country by this post, I just wish we could find a better day for it.

Bearcat99
11-11-2004, 02:31 PM
~!S!~.................. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

owlwatcher
11-11-2004, 08:22 PM
The End ...Of The War To End All Wars

Just saw TV show about the last hours of the war. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif Reminded me of the book where the german dies from a sniper in the last hour of war. Made me think.

The 1st World War. Never could understand the beginning or the end. My Grandfather was in the cavalry of the 29th Division. Had to provide his own horse. Which he would never use or see once he was shipped over seas.

Not that war can be understood or reasoned out .The 1stWW just made no sense, starting with the reason for war,Tactics battles all have troubled me deeply for I can not understand or ever been able to comprehend it.

So on this day . My thoughts are to those men who died . Both sides ,all nations that were feed into the meat grinder.

J_Weaver
11-11-2004, 08:53 PM
The reason for WWI is to complicated for me to try to explain at this time of night, but the reason the war was fought the way it was is fairly simple(although yes, almost stupid).

When the war began the world was in an industrial revolution, military weapons had changed quite a bit fairly quickly. The problem was that the tactics had not changed with the technology. This quickly led to a stalemate once the war began, the officers of all sides kinda defaulted to sending hordes of men charging into the enemy lines. Withnew weapons like the machine gun this lead to a slaughter for all involved. This is one time in history I can see no method in the madness, just pure madness. However, we should pay our respects to the brave men from all sides who gave their lives in this horrible madness and the many wars since.

WTE_Galway
11-11-2004, 08:53 PM
a useless futile war if there ever was one

here is a passage from Birdsong by Sebastian Faulkes where the main character Elizabeth visits the Somme and finds a memorial:

From near to, the scale of the arch became apparent: it was supported on four vast columns; it overpowered the open landscape, The size of it compounded by its brutal modern design; although clearly aa memorial it reminded her of Albert Speer's building for the Third Reich.

Elizabeth walked up the stone steps that led to it. A man in a blue jacket was sweeping in the large space enclosed by the pillars.

As she came up to the arch Elizabeth saw with a start that it was written on. She went closer. She peered at the stone. There were names on it. Every grain of the surface had been carved with British names; their chiselled capitals rose from the level of her ankles to the height of the great arch itself; on every surface of every column as far as her eye could see there were names teeming, reeling, over surfaces of yards, of hundreds of yards, of furlongs of stone.

She moved through the space beneath the arch where the man was sweeping. She found the other pillars identically marked, their faces obliterated on all sides by the names carved on them.

'Who are these, these .....?' She gestured with her hand.

'These?' The man with the brush sounded surprised. 'The lost.'

'Men who died in this battle?'

'No, The lost, the ones they did not find. The others are in cemeteries.'

'These are just the unfound?'

She looked at the vault above her head and then around in panic at the endless writing, as though the surface of the sky had been papered in footnotes.

When she could speak, she said, 'From the whole war?'

The man shook his head. 'just these fields' He gestured with his arm.

Elizabeth went and sat on the steps on the other side of the monument. Beneath her was a formal garden with some rows of white headstones, each with a tended flower or plant at its base, each cleaned and beautiful in the weak winter sunlight.

'Nobody told me.' She ran her fingers with their red painted nails through her thick black hair. 'My God, nobody told me.'

WTE_DuStA
11-11-2004, 09:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MOhz:
I do not see why the German soldiers should not get their respects. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well wouldn;t that be germany's responsibility to pay respect to their fallen soldiers and not ours ? If we in australia choose to to pay respect to our fallen family members then thats our call http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sorry if it sounds like i am biting at your comments, i am not it's just how i feel

MOhz
11-12-2004, 07:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by owlwatcher:
The End ...Of The War To End All Wars

Just saw TV show about the last hours of the war. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif Reminded me of the book where the german dies from a sniper in the last hour of war. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is the movie (book) I was talking about.

WTE, if that us how you feel fine. I think it is wrong though when one speaks of the OTHERS because dead is dead and they were all humans. If you wanna be more national no problem. I have lived in many places and if there is one thing that I have learnt then that would be to respect all people on earth whether they are the loosers of a war (and there are no winners of a war) or not. I see it as a great tragedy and a waste of precious lives and able bodied people. I think you have your right to be proud. But suffering was on both sides. Remember the Christmas football game??

MOhz
11-12-2004, 07:19 AM
Oh and sorry for talking about Germans. I had misread a word and that is why I only spoke of Germans. But I really mean every side!