PDA

View Full Version : Lubrication for the X52

JunkoIfurita
04-09-2005, 08:51 AM
No joy on a return for my bad-firmware X52 so far, but I'm getting by.

After a couple of months of use now, the main problem I'm having with the stick is that it's 'sticking'. So much for their proposed 'frictionless range of movement', eh? This is most noticable when making small corrections, often when I just want to move half a mil, it will stick a bit and I'll end up overshooting. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the problem stems from the lubricated disc that is the contact between the spring and the base of the unit.

I remember reading somewhere on these forums about someone having similar troubles, and they used a certain kind of wax or lubricant that solved everything nicely.

Anyone out there know a solution?

----

JunkoIfurita
04-09-2005, 08:51 AM
No joy on a return for my bad-firmware X52 so far, but I'm getting by.

After a couple of months of use now, the main problem I'm having with the stick is that it's 'sticking'. So much for their proposed 'frictionless range of movement', eh? This is most noticable when making small corrections, often when I just want to move half a mil, it will stick a bit and I'll end up overshooting. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the problem stems from the lubricated disc that is the contact between the spring and the base of the unit.

I remember reading somewhere on these forums about someone having similar troubles, and they used a certain kind of wax or lubricant that solved everything nicely.

Anyone out there know a solution?

----

VF-19
04-09-2005, 08:58 AM
If the X-52 is anything like a X-45, all you need is a small candle (a birthday candle will do nicely), and a little bit of hand-eye co-ordination.

Simply rub the candle onto the stick shaft itself (where the shaft goes into the base of the joystick), and then put your joystick into the full range of motion (aka swing it around a few times). If you find a problem spot, just apply a bit of wax where needed.

Works GREAT on my X-45!

Tully__
04-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Birthday candles (or other soft waxes).

JunkoIfurita
04-09-2005, 09:12 AM
Thanks a million guys: just tried it and my stick now feels as smooth and silky as the pectoral muscles of Margaret Thatchers favourite love slave.

----

Platypus_1.JaVA
04-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Teflon based lubricant works also very good. But don't EVER apply any lubricant based on silicons. When the liquid part of the lubricant evaporates, tiny little pieces of sand remain. It goes in between your joystick and makes an awful sound when you fly.

(trust me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

Cess-SGTRoc
04-09-2005, 10:48 PM
I use white lithium grease on mine. I put it on about once a year and it works great. But if you do not and when it is new it will bind and not let you move at all lol. Other than that, I love the X45 and the X 52.

Akronnick
04-10-2005, 12:47 AM
I use powdered graphite to lubricate my X45, that's the stuff they told you to use in Cub Scouts to lubricate the axles on your Pinewood Derby car. You can buy it at hobby shops that sell supplies for model trains as a product called Grease 'Em, but the best source is probably within arms reach as you're reading this. Just take a pencil and scrape the lead with the blade of a knife onto a piece of paper to catch the shavings. Then rub the powder on the shaft and disc of the stick and you're good to go. Works wonders.