PDA

View Full Version : I dont get it?

Conafam
01-01-2005, 01:04 PM
The IAS/TAS Chart on CD2 is written in kmph for speed and meters for alt. But the bombsight asks for speed in mph and ft in altitude? Am I missing something here? Do I have to do math conversion evertime?

Conafam
01-01-2005, 01:04 PM
The IAS/TAS Chart on CD2 is written in kmph for speed and meters for alt. But the bombsight asks for speed in mph and ft in altitude? Am I missing something here? Do I have to do math conversion evertime?

Cajun76
01-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Bind a key to your speedbar, and you can rotate between metric, Imperial, and nautical. ei. kph, mph, and knots. Hope this helps, good luck and

Conafam
01-01-2005, 01:11 PM
thanks.

Ive already done that. I change it to mph and ft to match the Bombsight, but is that not still showing IAS and not TAS. Is the chart not pretty useless then?

tsisqua
01-01-2005, 01:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cajun76:
Bind a key to your speedbar, and you can rotate between metric, Imperial, and nautical. ei. kph, mph, and knots. Hope this helps, good luck and <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, what Cajun said. Before PF, everything was metric. Us Yanks have asked for imperial option since the original IL2. (Sadly, the USA has resisted the need to go all metric. However, during WWII imperial was the rule, and needed for realism, imho)

edit: I gotcha, sorry, didn't realize that there were discrepancies. I think that there is an entry that you can make to the .ini . Anyone?

Good Luck
Tsisqua

Cajun76
01-01-2005, 01:45 PM
If your bombsight were metric, where would you get your numbers from? The only TAS gauge I know of is in HUD veiw. The speedbar appears to read IAS, but isn't that what you need anyway? I'm not a bombsight expert, as most of my bombing occurs at angles of 45 degrees or more, or less than 100 meters above the water @ 600+ kph. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

tsisqua
01-01-2005, 02:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm not a bombsight expert, as most of _my_ bombing occurs at angles of 45 degrees or more, or less than 100 meters above the water @ 600+ kph. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

Tsisqua

joeap
01-01-2005, 03:20 PM
What plane are you guys talking about? The HE-111 bombsight uses metric and the B-25 (actually the same sight) uses imperial.

pendragon1984
01-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Here's something you may not have noticed. When you're in the bombardier's seat in the B-25, look to your left. There, you'll find a pair of gauges: one showing your altitude in feet above sea level, the other showing your speed in miles per hour... get this... both indicated and true! No math required!

Oh, and if you needed to know, both hands are identical in appearance on the airspeed readout, but you can always tell which is IAS and which is TAS, because True Airspeed is the faster readout (if one hand shows 200 mph and the other shows 240, your true airspeed is 240 miles per hour).

Happy mudmoving!

JG7_Rall
01-01-2005, 10:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cajun76:
If your bombsight were metric, where would you get your numbers from? The only TAS gauge I know of is in HUD veiw. The speedbar appears to read IAS, but isn't that what you need anyway? I'm not a bombsight expert, as most of _my_ bombing occurs at angles of 45 degrees or more, or less than 100 meters above the water @ 600+ kph. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that with the metric bombsights, he's been using the chart to convert and then plug those values into the sight. That's what I think at least http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

S 8
01-01-2005, 11:46 PM
I dont care about TAS when using the bombsight on the B25 and He111.Just set the height and about same speed as the speedbar or gauge.Then just place sight over target and look if it stays at the same spot,if not,change speed according to wich way the sight is traveling.

Xses_08
01-02-2005, 12:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by S 8:
I dont care about TIAS when using the bobmbsight on the B25 and He111.Just set the height and about same speed as the speedbar or gauge.Then just place sight over target and look if it stays at the same spot,if not,change speed according to wich way the sight traveling. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This man knows what he is talkin about.
Follow this method once you work out how to get the plane flying level with the stabilizer and you will drop em right in the pickle barrel every time.

--Edit--
Also when in the B25, go to the bombadiers position and look to your left. (Not in bombsight view). You will see a speed guage. 1 needle is for IAS one TAS. Use this to help your original guestimation for speed and work from there.

antifreeze
01-02-2005, 06:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Just set the height and about same speed as the speedbar or gauge.Then just place sight over target and look if it stays at the same spot,if not,change speed according to wich way the sight traveling.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what I do too. It's tempting to keep the sight on the target right up until the bombs drop by changing the speed back and forth, but try to ensure that you've got the correct speed dialed well before the drop and then try to leave it alone as much as possible.

But I do have a question about height. The height given in the speedbar is height above sea level, right? Which is fine for shoreline targets or ships, but how do you judge which height to dial for an inland target that may be 30m or 200m above sea level?
In real life would they would have got the height from an ordinance-map before the mission?
Is there a cockpit dial for 'true height above land'?

Also, if there is no wind modelled, why do the sights have 'sideslip'? Just for historical reasons, just for the 'stormy weather setting, or is there another use for sideslip?

Cheers.

Conafam
01-02-2005, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. It has def helped. Maybe it's just me, but I like the idea of being able to set all the parameters, click on the target and watch it all the way to the pickle point without interfering inbetween. I'm not sure if this is historically accurate though. I doubt it will happen now, but it would be nice to see the speed on the bombsight be set more precise. Instead of have multiples of five, you could increase or decrease by 1 single unit.

I remember playing B17 years ago, I liked the bombing on that although the game itself was sh*t.

Also as above, what is the sideslip for?