PDA

View Full Version : P47 advice

general_kalle
03-21-2007, 03:09 PM
hi. when iver been trying this plane in the last time i cant seam to get anything of it.

i could use some advice on flying this thing.

also. why does people call it Jug??

one thing i know is that its got great firepower.

VW-IceFire
03-21-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm not an expert but I will tell you that if you put a P-47 up in the QMB at 10,000m you will out perform nearly every other aircraft at that height. The best techniques are the typical boom and zoom moves (usually better done with a wingman) and any maneuver that emphasizes holding onto energy. So generally wide turns and dives and climbs to attack the enemy.

The 'Jug' nicknames origin has a number of possibilities. One is because it looks a bit like a milk jug.

Eagle_361st
03-21-2007, 03:17 PM
First off what are you trying to accomplish with the fighter? It's very important to remember the P-47 is an energy or boom and zoom aircraft. Where speed and altitude are life whenever flying this bird. Low altitude Fneb style roundie round dogfights are not for this fighter. Give us some examples of what you are having problems with and what you expect this fighter to do and we can help you out some more. Also try searching the forums as there are some great tips and tactics threads for the P-47.

As for the "jug" name it's generally accepted that it derived from two places:
1. Due to it's size and imposing looks some called it a "jugernaut" which was shortened to "Jug".
2. Also due to it's looks some said it looked like a milk jug, therefore again was called "jug".

general_kalle
03-21-2007, 03:50 PM
well i was wondering weather to turn with it or zoom'n boom.

i tends to dip the wing in sharp turns. just like the mostang.

zoom and boom then. is it good compared to Fw190 of same year? D9??

Xiolablu3
03-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Fly it like a FW190, use your speed to outrun any plane which is getting close to your six.

USe height to B&Z enemies.

The P47 is deadly when flown correctly, and almost impossible to catch by the enemy.

If you see a plane approaching your tail then nose down and leave them standing.

I dont so much like the earlier models as the forward view is worse than a FW190, but the bubble top Jugs are fantastic. Nothing will catch you in a dive.

fordfan25
03-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by general_kalle:

zoom and boom then. is it good compared to Fw190 of same year? D9?? its faster at extreem alt than a D9 but i think below 20000ft its slower. always take extra ammo. if your real good in the jug and the piolet of a FW is below your skill you can out turn a Fw but its a chance thing. remember the FW will out climb you at med and low alt and has a MUCH better stall rate. also FW has better exelaration. dont count on the jugs DM to save you, in game i have found it in no way lives up to RL exampels and storys.also for some resone its dive RATE is far lower than a dora. so dont try to out dive one in a pinch like thay did IRL

VW-IceFire
03-21-2007, 04:37 PM

zoom and boom then. is it good compared to Fw190 of same year? D9??
The high boost "P-47D, 1944" is competitive with the FW190D-9 at different altitudes. The P-47D-10 and D-22 are generally superior to the FW190A-5 and A-6 and the P-47D-27 is superior to the FW190A-8 and A-9...at least for top speeds. Agility is a mixed bag and the FW190s can definitely leverage greater firepower and extreme roll rate as well as their small size in comparison to the huge plane that the P-47 is.

The P-47 is also incredibly resilient to damage...but it won't just keep on taking it and it will go down if its hit hard. But if someone keeps firing random bursts and manages to hit you in the wings several times and the fuselage a bit you can certainly take multiple 20mm rounds or even 30mm rounds and still expect to fly home quite nicely. Fighting is obviously out of the question in any plane if you're hit more than just a little bit.

K_Freddie
03-21-2007, 04:41 PM
The P47, as big as it was, was a remarkable performer at high altitudes ( > 6000m) and was a stiff competitor for the Axis fighters. It's downside was climb-rate, but it could 'dive like a brick' which was it's saving grace, as well as being able to take a lot of damage, as witnessed by many a frustrated FW190 pilot. It also excelled at ground attack due to it's rugged construction.

Unless you get a server/game that allows you to exploit the high altitude advantages, the P47 is a B&Z plane or ground attack plane.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Bo_Nidle
03-21-2007, 04:46 PM
maintain speed and altitude advantage at all times.

Do NOT get low and slow or you are in trouble.

Stalk, dive, slash, run, reposition.

stalkervision
03-21-2007, 04:50 PM
hi. when iver been trying this plane in the last time i cant seam to get anything of it.

i could use some advice on flying this thing.

also. why does people call it Jug??

one thing i know is that its got great firepower.

I believe it was because when British pilots were asked to give up their spits for the P-47 and they saw what a huge MF it was they immediately started drinking from "the little brown Jug" ... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.contemplator.com/america/littlejug.html

Xiolablu3
03-21-2007, 06:27 PM
I thought it was because its appearance which reminded people of a milk Jug?

I wasnt aware that the RAF used P47's did they?

(I am probably wrong)

berg417448
03-21-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
I thought it was because its appearance which reminded people of a milk Jug?

I wasnt aware that the RAF used P47's did they?

(I am probably wrong)

The RAF used P-47's in Burma.

FluffyDucks2
03-21-2007, 06:47 PM
The current FM of the jug is fantastic...flown correctly this aircraft is a beast that is UNTOUCHABLE http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif , it really does outperform at its preferred altitude and using boom and zoom tactics it is VERY hard to beat.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif (unless people are on comms and using teamwork... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif )

mythvoyager1955
03-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Republic Thunderbolt became "Repulsive Thunderjug" to pilots first transferring to the P-47, when they saw what they took to be an ungainly, ugly brute sitting on the tarmac. That opinion changed once they got to fly it but "Jug" stuck - at least thats the story I heard .....

lowfighter
03-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Trim helps with the P47 a lot to keep/attain the good speeds it is capable of. I trimm in mild dives all the time. It accelerates like crazy, beautiful.
Gentle with the rudder, if not the plane starts oscillating similar to P51 and the Corsair (all planes oscillate more or less but these three are among champions).
Using roll as much as possible to achieve what turn does in a turnandburn aircraft.

CMHQ_Rikimaru
03-22-2007, 01:24 AM
Few hints:
- u are outdiving ur enemys only when u exceed ur max speed, so, from like 600km/h.
- u dont stand a chance against dora in any P47
- ive won most stall fights when flying FW190A8 against P47D, so i wouldnt recomend u stall fight against anton, but spiral climb works very good, since P47D got much better climb rate from medium to high altitude.
- its typical hit & run plane, dont try to dogfight with it!

La7_brook
03-22-2007, 03:22 AM
The Big Bad wolf as nice bag of sweets for little Red riding Hood below 3000 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PF_Coastie
03-22-2007, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by CMHQ_Rikimaru:
Few hints:
- u are outdiving ur enemys only when u exceed ur max speed, so, from like 600km/h.
- ive won most stall fights when flying FW190A8 against P47D, so i wouldnt recomend u stall fight against anton, but spiral climb works very good, since P47D got much better climb rate from medium to high altitude.

Well, you must not have come up against any really good P47 pilots then!

The P47 will eat any Dora for lunch above 7K if flown properly.

It will outdive any prop plane in the game.

It will out zoom climb any prop plane.

The rest I agree with you.

Brain32
03-22-2007, 05:36 AM
O rly? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

IL2FB v1.0?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Diablo310th
03-22-2007, 05:46 AM
To turn with a better turning enemy use the inverted roll turn. Keep your speed above 250 mph and stay high (ie. 20,000 ft with a wingman) Never turn more than 90 degrees and zoom back up using a shallow climb to maintain your energy to regain alt. aim at enemy wingtips to disable tehm and then boom on them again.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-22-2007, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by PF_Coastie:
...It will out zoom climb any prop plane...

This is probably the most overlooked attribute. A zoom-climb that retains energy better than just about any other aircraft in the game is a lifesaver and can often mean the difference if facing unlikely odds. The P-47 zoom-climbs like the space shuttle and a wingover at the top (with control) has been the demise of so many black cross pilots online that it's silly.

TB

Bearcat99
03-22-2007, 06:40 AM
Stay high.. don/t let your enemy force you down to where he is... stay fast.. whenever you go down make sure you go back up.... The P-47 was called the Jug because it looked like a milk jug with wings. Many pilots I spoke to said if the P-51 was like a Corvette then the Jug was more like a Cadillac... big, roomy, and powerful. Once they got the better visibility they were even more liked by the men who flew them.

CMHQ_Rikimaru
03-22-2007, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by PF_Coastie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CMHQ_Rikimaru:
Few hints:

Well, you must not have come up against any really good P47 pilots then!

The P47 will eat any Dora for lunch above 7K if flown properly.

It will outdive any prop plane in the game.

It will out zoom climb any prop plane.

The rest I agree with you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or maybe uve never fought any really good Dora pilot?
It will outdive other planes above 600km/h like i said, before that most planes will outaccelerate it like La7 or Spitfire IX. It will outzoom any prop plane? Thats total BS, come i will take La7, and we will see;]

JerryFodder
03-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by fordfan25:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by general_kalle:
.also for some resone its dive RATE is far lower than a dora. so dont try to out dive one in a pinch like thay did IRL

Incorrect. Initial accellaration might be but the FW will break at 940kmph when it reaches thicker air (<2500m) but the Jug can handle nearly 1100kmph before breaking up