PDA

View Full Version : ...pays to keep an eye on that fuel gauge



M2morris
02-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Lesson learned for me:
I was in my Corsair on the way back from a mission near Okinaw. I had to stop two D3s and two N1K1s from attacking a ship, three KI61s later showed up.
I survived all that and was on my way home, just toodling along thinking about my set-up for landing. I was gonna do a fly-over of the ship and swing around for my normal curve-in approach, when I ran out of gas. Caught me totally by suprize. What a lucky landing. I never come in straight like that, could'nt see a danng thing.
Whew.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2LzPcOrT9c

rnzoli
02-22-2008, 09:14 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Nicely done. My normal carrier landings are worse http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

M2morris
02-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by rnzoli:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Nicely done. My normal carrier landings are worse http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Muchos grassyass senior.
I think in RL however I would have ditched it as close to the ship as possible and went for a swim.

FeiHu
02-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Morris,you now have eight lives left.Use them wisely! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gifThat was awesome!!!!!!!

Crash_Moses
02-22-2008, 07:48 PM
On the last mission of the Castaways campaign you have to escape from a large number of Zeros in a B-25. To finish the mission you have to either ditch next to an aircraft carrier or attempt a landing on it.

I opted for landing. Couldn't see hide nor hair of the Carrier for most of my approach. I Actually landed it and rolled to a stop just feet from the end of the ship.

Haven't been able to do it since. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Schwarz.13
02-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Nice one!

If you think about that in RL then the word 'hairy' is somewhat of an understatement...

ffb
02-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Crash_Moses:
On the last mission of the Castaways campaign you have to escape from a large number of Zeros in a B-25. To finish the mission you have to either ditch next to an aircraft carrier or attempt a landing on it.

I opted for landing. Couldn't see hide nor hair of the Carrier for most of my approach. I Actually landed it and rolled to a stop just feet from the end of the ship.

Haven't been able to do it since. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

for planes without a tailhook i always land wheels up on a carrier http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

M_Gunz
02-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Morris, how well were you practicing economy on the uninterrupted parts of the flight out
and back? Lindberg went out to the PTO and just running the props and engines differently
showed the men there how to greatly gain range in the P-38's. It was after that and with
drop tanks that they were able to intercept Yamamoto where he never expected Allied fighters
to even get within 100's of miles. A bit of a surprise on a master of surprises.

Anywho I find that I can hold very good speed at even 60% power and 60-70% rpms.

Note that IRL pilots are not depending on their fuel gages as false reads happen.
Generally you go up knowing how many hours you have fuel for and guess about changes on the
side of having less and not counting your reserve which you'd rather land still holding.

M2morris
02-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
Morris, how well were you practicing economy on the uninterrupted parts of the flight out
and back? Lindberg went out to the PTO and just running the props and engines differently
showed the men there how to greatly gain range in the P-38's. It was after that and with
drop tanks that they were able to intercept Yamamoto where he never expected Allied fighters
to even get within 100's of miles. A bit of a surprise on a master of surprises.

Anywho I find that I can hold very good speed at even 60% power and 60-70% rpms.

Note that IRL pilots are not depending on their fuel gages as false reads happen.
Generally you go up knowing how many hours you have fuel for and guess about changes on the
side of having less and not counting your reserve which you'd rather land still holding.
All I was doing was cutting back on throttle, I don't know how to lean it out to less then 100% in the game for the corsair and would't leaning it cause it to over heat quicker also?, and prop pitch won't do much either for adjustment.
But I left with a half tank and I was only gone for about 30 min so I must have had a fuel leak since I was hit a cuople times. But all accidents are pilot error.
Good story by the way about Lindburg and the PTO P-38s.

crucislancer
02-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by M2morris:
Lesson learned for me:
I was in my Corsair on the way back from a mission near Okinaw. I had to stop two D3s and two N1K1s from attacking a ship, three KI61s later showed up.
I survived all that and was on my way home, just toodling along thinking about my set-up for landing. I was gonna do a fly-over of the ship and swing around for my normal curve-in approach, when I ran out of gas. Caught me totally by suprize. What a lucky landing. I never come in straight like that, could'nt see a danng thing.
Whew.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2LzPcOrT9c

Well done! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Fuel leaks are a trip. As soon as I see that message, if I see it, I've got a constant eye on that gauge. Sometimes, it's a slow leak and not much of an issue unless you had a low tank to begin with, other times you leak out a full tank in 10 mins.

rnzoli
02-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by M2morris:
and would't leaning it cause it to over heat quicker also? Well, it would in real life, but in IL-2 I heard that it overheats less, and it is sometimes used as an exploit...

PhantomKira
02-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Deadstick onto a carrier! Nicely done!

It's been done once that I know of by Americans. An F-8 Crusader in the Mediterranean. Flame out on short final. Rather him than me!

M_Gunz
02-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by M2morris:
All I was doing was cutting back on throttle, I don't know how to lean it out to less then 100% in the game for the corsair and would't leaning it cause it to over heat quicker also?, and prop pitch won't do much either for adjustment.

I think you have to have the prop on manual control. I'm not big of the F4U's but that's how it
is with P-47 and P-51 just to mention two of many.
You can check your key assignments to find your mixture controls. It doesn't matter so much on
some of the planes.
Probably the biggie is running at good alt to get the TAS to IAS higher. How high might be a
good question when running at reduced power. I would suspect that IF the MAP gage works then
you could watch that to know when to stop climbing at reduced power. FTH is not going to tell
you when the supercharger can't keep up with alt at reduced power, right?


But I left with a half tank and I was only gone for about 30 min so I must have had a fuel leak since I was hit a cuople times. But all accidents are pilot error.

Right. Except for the fuel leak and perhaps how long you fought at full power you had the
air time to spare and then some easily.


Good story by the way about Lindburg and the PTO P-38s.

For a while there I thought I spelled the name wrong. It's a good lesson in what is possible
in reality with changed engine management. Remember that the PTO pilots had all been to school
and learned "the right way" to a level that some forum debaters would rather DIE than admit
those guys did not get the best possible information on every aspect of their planes! OH WELL!
They did not have one of the top aerial distance experts in the world as an instructor until
June of 1944, and certainly not back at the schools. He did show them incredible things but
not how to plug holes in the tanks. He probably did not have to, those fuel tanks are
supposed to be self-sealing and that includes the Corsairs.

Here's a link for other members who have not yet delved into the subject. (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3897/is_200301/ai_n9190667/pg_6)

Airmail109
02-23-2008, 06:20 PM
If I'm on a shortish mission I take half a tank and a drop tank.

Best of both worlds.

mortoma
02-23-2008, 10:03 PM
If you accomplished that then you are a better pilot than I, sir.....

M2morris
02-23-2008, 11:16 PM
That's interesting and informative stuff and It's got me wanting to read the Lindberg story now.
I'll work om my maping for engine management, and I will try that drop-tank half tank thing too. And, I am not better than you mortoma, just luckier, but I do practice dead stick landings alot becasue I have no life. You can see them in my yooyube collection there, heck all my videos are IL2 stuff. Well, i just got off work and I am poooped. Later. morris

DuxCorvan
02-24-2008, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by M2morris:
Muchos grassyass senior.

Grassy-***? That can be solved with a good shaver... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Muchas gracias, seņor. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

M2morris
02-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M2morris:
Muchos grassyass senior.

Grassy-***? That can be solved with a good shaver... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Muchas gracias, seņor. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe that would be like case of chia-butt.
I wish I could have had a squigly for my N like that, not only that I later found that it was a senorita I was responding to.

Billy_BigBoy
02-24-2008, 02:02 PM
It happened to me once.
I returned a Hellcat after a fight in which I took a hit in the fueltank.
On the final, about a mile out of the carrier, the engine quit on me. With sweat in my hands I managed to touch down on the carrier, only to find out I forgot to lower the hook. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

M_Gunz
02-24-2008, 05:15 PM
So the self-sealing tanks don't?

M2morris
02-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Here's another one: A KI-84 got my engine on a head-on shot so I was once again dead sticking it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PM5kA7u-r4