PDA

View Full Version : Which American fighter is most capable?

Stix243
01-03-2006, 06:54 PM
I have flown most American fighters and admit i am not competant in any of them. I normaly fly 109 and Spit variants and have found i can't bring down a 109 or 190 in any American fighter aircraft. I have downed a few Zekes in a P-40 but that is it.

So my question is what American fighter should i practise in to be competitive against the 109? P-47, P-51, P-40? I would like to fly more American fighters but atm i am just a drone target.

Stix243
01-03-2006, 06:54 PM
I have flown most American fighters and admit i am not competant in any of them. I normaly fly 109 and Spit variants and have found i can't bring down a 109 or 190 in any American fighter aircraft. I have downed a few Zekes in a P-40 but that is it.

So my question is what American fighter should i practise in to be competitive against the 109? P-47, P-51, P-40? I would like to fly more American fighters but atm i am just a drone target.

horseback
01-03-2006, 07:32 PM
P-40M is the most forgiving US ac in the game at lower alts, and is quite competitive in some respects with the 109F and early G; it can turn tightly, has a fair punch with its six .50s and is pretty solid in a dive.

Most American aircraft in-game need a lot of constant trim adjustment tho, and that takes time (and trim button assignments) to master. All of them seem to have the insta-stop engine DM feature, so you need to stay fast, keep your head on a swivel, and in the combat zone at least, NEVER fly in a straight line for more than 10-15 seconds, and hit hard and keep going (all of which was standard doctrine for US combat pilots in WWII), because you can't afford to get hit.

Next best choice may be the P-38L (late) for medium to high alts. Good climb & accell, used to have a good turn, heavy punch. Avoid steep dives.

cheers

horseback

PERSEUS1953
01-03-2006, 07:33 PM
After a time playing this sim you get the impression that there just might be a little bias affecting its creator.(nothing wrong with that bless him)

Try flying a Lag 7 using which I can kill any aircraft on the list. When using it as the prey it seems able to absorb even 3o mm fire for some period (improbable for most any a/c.)

Turn ,Turn, Turn, you will discover that after avoiding being killed for about 3-4 turns you are the chaser,not the chasee.(a short coming in the sim design--the enemy seemd to give up and run after a couple of good turns)You can tighten the turn by reducing throttle, the faster your speed the wider you turn, makes it easy for the other guy.
The F4F is a good killer.The P51 has not been given its due in this sim. The Hurricane iic can kill any thing that it can catch(short on speed)
Keep your nose trmmed low. Go get em.

HotelBushranger
01-03-2006, 07:51 PM
I'd say start with the early P-40's (B/C). Then transfer to the E/M series. It's a very forgiving plane, but fly it wrong and it'll come back and bite you http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Siwarrior
01-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Yeh P-40 tends to bite back when you stall http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif
Try to lure the german a/c into a turn fight and when you fly a P-40 always have a buddy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

han freak solo
01-03-2006, 08:27 PM
For the game, I prefer the P-40 as well.

It's not the fastest US plane though.

archie3101
01-03-2006, 08:34 PM
fly the f4u-c

she is not fast, cant turn, but she sure can kill.

arch

neural_dream
01-03-2006, 08:53 PM
The P-40 is by far the best choice for a newbie for a number of reasons.

I've written this guide for people who are like you at the first stages of their learning and are overwhelmed by the number of aircraft choices: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/8311086963

and this is my sig http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Stix243
01-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Cheers Neural_dream, i have actually already DL that guide, think i found it looking through some sticky FAQ's. It is an excellent piece of work!

HotelBushranger
01-04-2006, 01:00 AM
Lol! You sure do love showing that off don't you http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

I have to disagree with archie, flying late war planes, 'specially the C, is a bad idea. Same with fighters, because in essence, if you learn to fly on uber planes, you learn the wrong things. IF you're in a sticky situation, you would depend on the aircrafts superior performance to get you out. Therefore, you have limited understanding of how energy works, and tactics to get the upper hand, and would just charge in guns blazing. My advice would be to start from the worst up, i.e. J8A. It's a great plane :thumsb:

jds1978
01-04-2006, 04:25 AM
I'm gonna play syncophant to everyone else: fly the P40 variants to start off. You can T'n'B or B'n'Z with just about any early-mid war Axis plane.

US warplanes were built, for the most part, as fighter-bombers. a single F4U, P38, or P47 can carry more A 2 G whoop-*** than an entire schwarm of Lufty planes...

In addition, they were meant to be flown methodically (not predictably). Use teamwork and B'n'Z constantly...at high alt, the P51, P47, F4U, F6F, or P38 is a tough opponent.

If you are used to flying FW190's, you should feel at home in virtually any American warbird. Both German and American planes feature a high degree of automation...for the most part you can forget about fuel mixture and supercharger settings (F4F, F4u, F6F not-withstanding)

least forgiving: F4U series, P51 series, P47 (in climb)

Most forgiving: P40 series, P38, F6F,

jds1978
01-04-2006, 04:28 AM
ND: OMG! that sig is adorable http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif (LOL)

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

WOLFMondo
01-04-2006, 05:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HotelBushranger:
Lol! You sure do love showing that off don't you http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

I have to disagree with archie, flying late war planes, 'specially the C, is a bad idea. Same with fighters, because in essence, if you learn to fly on uber planes, you learn the wrong things. IF you're in a sticky situation, you would depend on the aircrafts superior performance to get you out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally agree. If you start with the late war planes you'll pick up bad habits and never learn a thing.

If you want to fly US then start with a F4F, P40 variant or P39 variant. If you don't mind looking at other countries and you have FB+Aces+PF then the Hurricane, A6M2, Yak 1, Lagg3 or even the 190A4 is a good place to start.

Most important thing to do its 1)read about the plane you've chosen and there best operating heights, 2)Read about how they were used operationally, 3)Read about the problems that plane had when used operationally i.e. how there weaknesses were exploited, bad traits.

Stix243
01-04-2006, 06:17 AM
Cheers guys, i might do a bit more flying in the F4 (hard to do online, rarely in the aicraft list) and P-40 (rarely see it online either) before i try anything else.

I need to get over my case of "Look at all these shiny planes to fly! lets fly them ALL!" ;-)

WOLFMondo
01-04-2006, 06:48 AM
If you have hyperlobby join some co-ops, you'll get to experiment with allot of different aircraft and the P40 and F4F appear in co-ops allot.

If you don't mind jumping in at the deep end, join zekes vs wildcats server, its full real but they have some really good early war scenarios.

Kuna15
01-04-2006, 06:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Which American fighter is most capable? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In game -- for me that is undoubtely P-38. Fulfilling many roles and is also very durable; on several occasions I have managed to rtb with one engine on fire and with dense black smoke pouring from it.

WOLFMondo
01-04-2006, 07:31 AM
Those engine fires are dodgy. They don't seem to go out but they don't seem to cause catestrophic damage like on other planes.

Airmail109
01-04-2006, 10:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PERSEUS1953:
After a time playing this sim you get the impression that there just might be a little bias affecting its creator.(nothing wrong with that bless him)

Try flying a Lag 7 using which I can kill any aircraft on the list. When using it as the prey it seems able to absorb even 3o mm fire for some period (improbable for most any a/c.)

Turn ,Turn, Turn, you will discover that after avoiding being killed for about 3-4 turns you are the chaser,not the chasee.(a short coming in the sim design--the enemy seemd to give up and run after a couple of good turns)You can tighten the turn by reducing throttle, the faster your speed the wider you turn, makes it easy for the other guy.
The F4F is a good killer.The P51 has not been given its due in this sim. The Hurricane iic can kill any thing that it can catch(short on speed)
Keep your nose trmmed low. Go get em. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This guy is a n00b im sorry to say, dont listen to his advice. The P51 is an exceptional plane if you dont turn, instead fight in the vertical....keeping you speed up high so that you can dictate the terms of the fight.....use slashing attacks against your openents and never ever turn with an enemy and lose energy instead do a High yo yo and come back down on him.....the aim is to make your opponent lose more energy than you so he cant follow you in a climb.....you can then zoom climb....hammer head and come directly down on top of him....LAs are not better than p51s....they are merely easier for n00bs to use

This guy is also a twit for thinking that a Mustang should turn like a Hurricane, all pilots records show that it couldnt and the Mustang had a far greater wing loading....which means that it was not a turn fighter like the hurricane....if you fly a hurricane or an La7 versus a pilot who knows what hes doing in a P51 youll get your *** handed to you....same with the FW190.

NEVER EVER CHOP THE THROTTLE SO YOU CAN TURN BETTER, YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR SPEED AND BE A SITTING DUCK.

Birdman86
01-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Remember that many American planes carry a LOT of fuel in their tanks if you don't reduce the fuel quantity. That fuel makes those planes heavier and reduces their performance compared with short-range planes like La-7 or Bf-109. In online dogfights or QMB missions that much fuel is newer needed. But rememder to check that setting when you choose some other plane to avoid running out of fuel in full flight.

About engine fires I think that they aren't dangerous unless the burning engine is close to the pilot or fuel tank catches fire. With P-38 you can safely fly with one engine on fire, or even RTB with two burning engines, because they may still work some time! I once flow Tu-2 with one engine on fire and it only slowly lost power and finally stopped (there is some bug in that plane in 4.02m, because I had to take off with asymmetrical power settings (left engine 110% and right 35%) to avoid spinning around)

SlickStick
01-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Hmmm, I know they were mostly lend-lease in this game, but the Cobras are my favorite type of American aircraft in the game.

I'm a P-39-Q1-aholic and the P-63 is quite the zoom-climber. A little practice with the nose cannon and you can get pretty good at hit and run. The P-39s turn very well and can be used to out turn the noob-to-vet Ki-84 or La-7 pilot in the right hands.

I love the P-51 for the vertical, but sometimes due to the bullet dispersion pattern, a plane "flies through" a stream sometimes with the .50s. That 37mm cannon is quite effective once you've got it zoned in.

LePetit_Lapin
01-04-2006, 12:39 PM
I love the P40 (All variants).

Easy to fly, just keep trimming it, and she'll reward you. Shes usually got some fairly beefy armament too, just riddle them with holes from your chosen convergance distance and the results are usually quite dramatic.

I don't know where exactly the weak points on all planes are, so generally I just aim for the wings and the cockpit. If you smack someones wing with a load of .50's enough, the enemy has a **** hard time flying level, which gives you time to fill the rest of the plane with holes, or they just lose control and spiral out, groundwards. Either way, its all good, and generally gives me a kill.

Ammo load seems to be pretty decent too, so you can fire away and not have to worry about running out.

WOLFMondo
01-04-2006, 02:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SlickStick:

I'm a P-39-Q1-aholic and the P-63 is quite the zoom-climber. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Off topic but why the Q1? I've always liked the N1 and the D2 since PF but never really found anything the Q1 has the other haven't.

SlickStick
01-04-2006, 03:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SlickStick:

I'm a P-39-Q1-aholic and the P-63 is quite the zoom-climber. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Off topic but why the Q1? I've always liked the N1 and the D2 since PF but never really found anything the Q1 has the other haven't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno exactly. I know the P-39-D2 seems to be the new "early war" P-39 for online (and man, can it climb) and the N1 may still turn a bit better, but I like those built-in wing pods on the Q1. As I like having wing armament to aim with, rather than nose-only armament.

It's just a habit mostly or maybe to go against the usual P-39s you see online. I think it all started when I downloaded some skins for the Q1 back in the early days of this series. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Grey_Mouser67
01-04-2006, 07:21 PM
I think of American planes in terms of killing or surviving...there are only two planes that are reasonably good at both and that is the P-63 and P-38L Late.

The Mustang, especially MKIII is a survivor. The Jug is a killer as is the P-47D. The J Lightning is a tweener but I think elevator authority hampers B&Z or it would be right there too.

I agree with learning on early war planes too...in addition, these planes tend to manuever and roll slower. After flying late war planes, I feel like I'm flying in slow motion when I switch to a 41 planeset which is good for gunnery. The P-40 is a great gun platform too. The Hellcat is good against A6M's and Tony's but that is about it....

There really is no dominant US fighter as they are modelled right now...just pick one, learn its strengths and weaknesses and move from there.

I have learned that I have to be more patient and expect to kill fewer planes for a given period of time, less dramatically while flying more defensively with US planes in general...that is a broad statement, but don't expect the results of a Fw or the stability and ease of flight as a 109...they just arent there.

VW-IceFire
01-04-2006, 09:34 PM
I'd start with the F4F Wildcat and the P-40 (any version really) as they are both very good early war US aircraft. Both types served throughout the war and although by 1944 they were completely outmatched by other types, they were still fighting in many areas (usually not the front sectors but in other areas where they were needed).

The P-40M and the FM-2 Wildcat are the final versions present in the game and both are pretty decent aircraft. The P-40E is sort of the sweet spot for many as it balances performance and handling. The earlier P-40's are somewhat different in feel...but interesting to fly.

If you want to venture into the late war...when it comes to fighters the Mustang is the aircraft to beat. But its extremely tricky to fly right now...I think its modeled badly ...except the Mustang Mark III which is, despite some modeling issues (in my mind), is quite good and extremely fast. You should be able to outrun anyone in a Mark III.

And you know...despite not having a service role, the P-63C is QUITE the versatile aircraft. Its fast down low, has awesome ground attack firepower (except no rockets), and its decently manueverable. Useful in its own right.

WOLFMondo
01-05-2006, 03:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I think its modeled badly ...except the Mustang Mark III which is, despite some modeling issues (in my mind), is quite good and extremely fast. You should be able to outrun anyone in a Mark III. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think its modelled badly, I think the problem is it requires allot of trimming when your speed changes (which might be what your getting at? ). Theres no real sweet spot when it comes to trimming the plane unlike some of the others.

Asgeir_Strips
01-05-2006, 08:15 AM
IRL i would say the either the Thunderbolt or Corsair, but ingame, i'd say Corsair all the way! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif when you master it, nothing can beat you!

Unknown-Pilot
01-05-2006, 08:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asgeir_Strips:
but ingame, i'd say Corsair all the way! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif when you master it, nothing can beat you! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, in-game for sure. The plane that actually beat the best of the Japanese air power doesn't have as many fans as that hose-nosed ensign-eliminator. It's reflected in the modeling (down to and including visibility).

VW-IceFire
01-05-2006, 09:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I think its modeled badly ...except the Mustang Mark III which is, despite some modeling issues (in my mind), is quite good and extremely fast. You should be able to outrun anyone in a Mark III. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think its modelled badly, I think the problem is it requires allot of trimming when your speed changes (which might be what your getting at? ). Theres no real sweet spot when it comes to trimming the plane unlike some of the others. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No the problem is the COG seems to be way at the back...like alot of aircraft in 4.02. It sways and wobbles and it hates to manuever through just about anything. And I'm well aware of laminar flow wings and high AoA and the nastiness that results.

Again...its this danged patch and its inconsistencies between systems. Makes no sense.

I'm a constant trimmer myself...I trim every axis on each plane that supports trim. I feel like I'm pretty good with it. So I honestly think its, in this instance, the way the plane is behaving to me, rather than how I'm treating the plane. The FW190 is another trim conscious aircraft and I have no problem.

Da_Godfatha
01-05-2006, 12:57 PM
In this game..........NONE ! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

To bad this game has nothing to do with "Realism or Historical fact".

Unknown-Pilot
01-05-2006, 02:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Da_Godfatha:
In this game..........NONE for me! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

To bad this has nothing to do with "Realism or Historical fact", just piloting skill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fixed that for ya. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Nigel_Woodman
01-05-2006, 07:20 PM
I happen to hate the Hurricane, but in historical context, it was probably the most important fighter of the war. 70% of the British fighters in the Battle of Britain were Hurricanes. Whether or not the battle was won by them or not is inconsequential. What is important is that they allowed Britain to stay in the fight long enough for the U.S. to join the war.

If the British had made peace with Hitler before the U.S. joined, it would have been the Nazis against the Russians, most likely without any U.S. participation. The outcome of that one would be a tough call, but the potential for a Nazi victory would be pretty good. Imagine Hitler controlling the continent and most of Asia (along with his Japanese allies), and the U.S. with no means or will to fight him.

We could all be speaking German now.

Opie-won
01-05-2006, 07:49 PM
This is an interesting question that bears a little thought on. In what particular flight realm are you talking? Low alt or hight alt? I would take a '39 in low alt any time, but most certainly not in high alt. At high alt I would personally go for a '38J or maybe a Corsair. I maybe would even take a Buffalo MK I in either realm depending on what I would be locking horns with.

Stix243
01-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Opie-won, it was more of a general than specific question. I have flown plenty of US fighters but i'm not good at flying and don't like ANY of them ;-)

I want to change that and was wondering were everyone suggested to start, i've flown a 2-3 dozen missions in the P-40 in the past day or 2 and admit i have improved it but don't like the feel of the aircraft.

KrashanTopolova
01-05-2006, 09:12 PM
F6F has climb performance, turn performance, stable against spin at low level and is a rugged airframe and stable gun platform with punch (not unlike a fast IL-2). Therefore, for example, when pursued it can roll with a big slow radius rapidly and steadily making a fast aircraft accelerate past and into its gunsights or dive onto it rapidly (this is different to the A1's which always seem to roll rapidly in a tight roll in order to try and make you overshoot). Watch your speed at all times however since you may need to slow this big fast aircraft with any method you can.

AKA_TAGERT
01-05-2006, 09:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stix243:

So my question is what American fighter should i practise in to be competitive against the 109? P-47, P-51, P-40? I would like to fly more American fighters but atm i am just a drone target. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's the man.. not the machine.. thus any plane I fly is the most capable

Opie-won
01-05-2006, 10:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stix243:
Opie-won, it was more of a general than specific question. I have flown plenty of US fighters but i'm not good at flying and don't like ANY of them ;-)

I want to change that and was wondering were everyone suggested to start, i've flown a 2-3 dozen missions in the P-40 in the past day or 2 and admit i have improved it but don't like the feel of the aircraft. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't found anything really that comes close to the performance to a Spit as favorably as I would like in US fighters in all realms. I've found some that can match or beat a Spit in one realm or another except maybe a Mustang, but it usually is not enough to give the US plane a clear edge. An example in my case would be I almost literally fear nothing flying a P-39 at Low Alt. It is a very deadly a/c in it's realm, but you take it up to high alt and it's a pig. I really enjoy flying a Buffalo Mk I as well; it actually is a pretty tight turning a/c and has decent maneuverablity. My only gripes is that it is slow and is really undergunned.

I would personally start out with and early US fighters and try them out. Keep in mind that they really can't compare to a 109 or a Spit, so tactics play a major part in flying. A little reading on tactics used would be helpful. Make the bad guy fly to your best advantage and not the other way around. Hope that this helps out some. Try a '39 at low alt and see what you think. I've found that it has pretty comparable performance as long as you don't get too high in the air and the 37mm cannon will knock large parts o'plane off with each hit. I prefer to stay under 15,000 ft.

Von_Rat
01-06-2006, 12:41 AM
when i see a p40 on a late war server like warclouds, i think of the phrase, no fool like a brave fool.

the p40 just can't compete like a well flown p51 or p47 can.

WOLFMondo
01-06-2006, 02:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Opie-won:

I would personally start out with and early US fighters and try them out. Keep in mind that they really can't compare to a 109 or a Spit, so tactics play a major part in flying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can't they compare? Not many US planes can turn with either of these but then there not supposed to be turners. There supposed to be fast BNZ'ers.

Tactics always plays a major part in flying. Tactics is how a BnZ'er defeats a plane constantly going round in circles on the deckhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

AKA_TAGERT
01-06-2006, 09:24 AM
P38L LATE with me at the stick.. cant touch this

Opie-won
01-06-2006, 11:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Opie-won:

I would personally start out with and early US fighters and try them out. Keep in mind that they really can't compare to a 109 or a Spit, so tactics play a major part in flying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can't they compare? Not many US planes can turn with either of these but then there not supposed to be turners. There supposed to be fast BNZ'ers.

Tactics always plays a major part in flying. Tactics is how a BnZ'er defeats a plane constantly going round in circles on the deckhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To clarify this; I suppose a better way to say that they can't compare would be actually in regards to turning/climbing ability (not in all cases) and in some cases speed in level flight. Does that make sense? I am in complete agreement with Tactics. If I can only remember that when I go get into a scrap flying an outmoded plane http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kapteeni
01-07-2006, 02:23 AM
Brewster 239! It has a world record: most victorious aeroplane in history was BW-393 (Finnish Airforce). 41 air victories!

JuHa-
01-07-2006, 03:35 AM
Kapteeni,

I bet you ment this:
(Wikipedia)
In Finnish service between 1941-1945 the Brewsters were credited with 496 enemy aircraft destroyed (Soviet & German) against the loss of nineteen Buffalos, for a victory ratio of 26:1

DIRTY-MAC
01-07-2006, 07:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kapteeni:
Brewster 239! It has a world record: most victorious aeroplane in history was BW-393 (Finnish Airforce). 41 air victories! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was one single Brewster that I think several finnish pilots flew. and the tally of that special machine was 41.

Kapteeni
01-09-2006, 09:38 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

SweetMonkeyLuv
01-09-2006, 11:10 AM
If you're gonna turn fight, really, no american plane is a "good" choice against its historical adversaries. The Americans did well in the air on both fronts by using cooperative boom n zoom tactics, often with numbers advantages.

I'm not a big fan of the P40, myself. Its decent, I suppose, and one of the best American planes for turnfighting, but generally underpowered. Climb is not great, top speed is not great, and firepower is not great.

I've been flying p47-D27s lately, and having a good bit of fun. Not a great climber, but good dive and good roll, which can be powerful assets. I'd imagine it would be a good plane for a top-notch marksman, as the 8 50 cals are a joy to shoot with and have good hitting power.

Prolly, tho, the P51 would be my recommendation. Like the other folks said, use your energy wisely. If you have good SA and manage your energy, you may not score a lot of kills (only your gunnery will dictate that), but you'll seldom end up dead, either.

HayateAce
01-09-2006, 11:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PERSEUS1953:
The P51 has not been given its due in this sim. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen! You speak the gospel truth, brother.

http://www.cfhf.net/lyrics/images/amen.jpg

robban75
01-10-2006, 07:57 AM
The P-51D has never been better in this sim than it is right now. Correctly flown it's probably the best allied plane in the game. Its speed, its dive and zoom abilities is unmatched. Only the P-38L late comes close. If you fly the Mustang III, nothing (that's not powered by a jet or rocket) can hurt you.

GerritJ9
01-10-2006, 09:12 AM
Brewster Buffalo is my choice!

Werre_Fsck
01-10-2006, 10:01 AM
P47. The last model is good even in df.