PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecters under fire give good pilots a bad name.....

Jumoschwanz
02-04-2006, 08:49 AM
For the first time in as long as I can remember, I saw a disconnecting stat-***** on Spits_vs_109 full-real server.

The Spit pilot and squad member, had just finished shooting down a 109 on the deck by blue base. I got on his tail after missing a few fast delfection shots at him, and the next time I pulled the trigger, Poof! he was gone.

The chat bar told the story of who he was and what he did, plus I reviewed the track I took of the incident to make sure of what I saw.

I checked the disconnectors stats and it got worse. He had great stats. Three stars on the front page of the servers stat page.

This behaviour ruins the credibility of server stats, which are inaccurate enough as it is, and is a slap in the face to all the hard-working honest pilots in online servers that play an honorable game.

This is not usual behaviour on this server, as I have spent many hours there and this is the first time I have seen it in as long as I can remember.
The next time I see this piece of garbage on HL, I am going to offer him a track of his special skill. It is all I can do, but maybe letting him know that some are onto his tricks will goad him into fighting himself out of the mess he gets into.

Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz
02-04-2006, 08:49 AM
For the first time in as long as I can remember, I saw a disconnecting stat-***** on Spits_vs_109 full-real server.

The Spit pilot and squad member, had just finished shooting down a 109 on the deck by blue base. I got on his tail after missing a few fast delfection shots at him, and the next time I pulled the trigger, Poof! he was gone.

The chat bar told the story of who he was and what he did, plus I reviewed the track I took of the incident to make sure of what I saw.

I checked the disconnectors stats and it got worse. He had great stats. Three stars on the front page of the servers stat page.

This behaviour ruins the credibility of server stats, which are inaccurate enough as it is, and is a slap in the face to all the hard-working honest pilots in online servers that play an honorable game.

This is not usual behaviour on this server, as I have spent many hours there and this is the first time I have seen it in as long as I can remember.
The next time I see this piece of garbage on HL, I am going to offer him a track of his special skill. It is all I can do, but maybe letting him know that some are onto his tricks will goad him into fighting himself out of the mess he gets into.

Jumoschwanz

Kuna15
02-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Perma-ban would solve this issue.

Anyone 4 that idea?

vocatx
02-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Yeah, Jumo, this and a few other little "tricks" seem to be getting more popular lately. I'm not sure who you are referring to here, but I have also had this happen to me lately.

You must also keep in mind that not all disconnects are intentional. My ping to Warbirds of Prey usually runs around 90, but I get spikes on occassion(I've been trying to figure out why, with no success so far). I got ping kicked twice last week right as I was about to land. One of these was one of my most successful sorties ever, netting five kills without incurring any damage. In the stats page it showed as -5 kills with a negative score. I don't pay that much attention to my score, but it did kind of peeve me that I didn't get credit for that sortie.

I do agree with you about disconnecting to keep from getting shot down is pretty low. That's why I don't think K/D ratio is that great of an indicator of how good a stick someone is. The K/D can be manipulated in vaious ways.

ATLAS_DEATH
02-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Just remove the deaths all together. Show kills and sorties ran and/or total time.

Tully__
02-04-2006, 10:58 AM
A single disconnect is no indication that the person involved is manipulating stats. It may have been simply that his squad was due to start a training session or join an online war mission and he had to leave in a hurry, or even that his "significant other" threatened to kill him for real if he didn't come to the dinner table right now.

A persistent pattern of disconnecting at the point of losing the fight is another story, but should be taken up with the host of the server in question if you feel it's an issue that affects gameplay on that server.

Soapy_112th
02-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Jumo uses advanced ESP to divine wether it was a legit disconnect, or if it was because the other guy feared losing a virtual point.

He is uber skilled at the above, trust me, I'm an alcoholic http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

F19_Ob
02-05-2006, 02:17 AM
Stats in it self seems to be what's ruining the online game and provoking this kind of behavior. Atleast it is what i've come up with studying the phenomena for a few years. Only very few can handle the pressure.
Fear of not being on top drives people sick in the long run in every field of life.

Remove stats and a big portion of the problem will be solved, because the fact that stats are public is a part in being seen on top and wich then will lead to desperation.

By recording tracks u still get the picture individually.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Kuna15
02-05-2006, 06:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F19_Ob:
Stats in it self seems to be what's ruining the online game and provoking this kind of behavior. Atleast it is what i've come up with studying the phenomena for a few years. Only very few can handle the pressure.
Fear of not being on top drives people sick in the long run in every field of life.

Remove stats and a big portion of the problem will be solved, because the fact that stats are public is a part in being seen on top and wich then will lead to desperation.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

100% +1.

WWSensei
02-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Stats are metrics. Metrics are erroneously thought to be a measure of current performance and have no impact on that performance. Countless experiments have proven that metrics do not measure current performance, but affect that performance. It does so because the goal of the ones being measured transform into making the mertics/stats look good rather (i.e they become more important than the original goal) doing their assigned task.

It doesn't mean metrics or stats are bad. Just means when you pick to track certain items of people's behavior you have to pick those stats which will affect people to behave in the manner you desire--and the fun part is no matter what you pick you will have to change it over time for it to continue being effective.

Hawgdog
02-05-2006, 07:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kuna15:
Perma-ban would solve this issue.

Anyone 4 that idea? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, but wouldn't jumo just reregister under a new name?

Pig_Mac
02-05-2006, 08:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">yeah, but wouldn't jumo just reregister under a new name? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe

plumps_
02-05-2006, 08:13 AM
I haven't flown online for a long time and the main reason is my lousy DSL connection that tends to get interrupted now and again for a few seconds (maybe some kind of loose contact somewhere?).

If your connection is bad the IL-2 online code differentiates between situations where you're close to an enemy and situations where you're alone. That's why in the conf.ini there are different values for "farMaxLagTime" and "nearMaxLagTime". On servers that had relaxed setting for "farMaxLagTime" I could fly for hours with my bad connection as long as I stayed away from enemy aircraft, but as the setting for "nearMaxLagTime" was rather strict I would suddenly get kicked when I got close to an enemy. The other players' chat window then would say "XXX has left the game". This did also happen when I was chased by an enemy while my DSL failed. So I got kicked and reconnected to the game only to hear angry accusations of the same kind the thread starter has made. (The accusations were futile anyway as my aircraft was faster than the one that chased me...)

Once I made a long sortie over enemy territory, shot down two aircraft and devastated a lone enemy airbase. Now and then yellow and red bars would appear for a few seconds at the top right corner of my screen, indicating that my connection was interrupted, but the mission went on. After one hour I got back over friendly territory and was glad to find a friendly base, where I saw another aircraft about to land. I got closer and saw that it was an enemy. He hadn't noticed me, so I was looking forward to another kill before I would land and register lots of points for that flight. But suddenly I saw the yellow and red bars again, and this time I got kicked. Getting close to that enemy had triggered the "nearMaxLagTime" kick.

That was before 4.01 got released, so the online code may be different now. But I'm writing this to indicate that someone who disconnects during combat may be a point *****, but may also suffer from some kind of technical problems.

BaldieJr
02-05-2006, 08:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F19_Ob:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

x2