PDA

View Full Version : P-38 damage

pilot_p-38
02-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi to all

Before Pacific Fighters started, I found this picture about the cockpit of a Lockheed P-38 Lightning, showing the damage profile.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/p-38/p-38-78.jpg

After the game came up, I found that nothing of this happen. Why?

I know all cockpits get damage and show them. Why not inside the P-38?

AKA_TAGERT
02-11-2007, 10:35 PM
man I wish we had that gun sight in the 38! I mean if the Lw can have a Ta-183 that never made it off the napkin.. Why not a P38 with a K14 gun sight for late war stuff?

Akronnick
02-11-2007, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by AKA_TAGERT:
man I wish we had that gun sight in the 38! I mean if the Lw can have a Ta-183 that never made it off the napkin.. Why not a P38 with a K14 gun sight for late war stuff?

That and a P-47, would almost make up for no P-47N.

We can dream...

Ratsack
02-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Careful what you wish for. If you want the K14 in more than one US type, you may well have to put up with the British GS MkII gyro gun sight in the Spitfire IX from early 1944. The K14 was a licence copy of this British sight.

Now ask yourself, do you really want the Spitfire IX to be even better?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Jokes aside, the K14 was introduced on the P-47D-40-RE. That's pretty late in the piece: in fact it's the last sub-variant of the D series. That would place it in very late 1944 or early 1945.

In which production block did they put the K14 in the P-38? Does anybody know?

If we're talking about 1945 Allied types, I'd rather have a 72" boost P-51D or a 11 lb Tempest than the K14 gun sight.

Cheers,
Ratsack

Akronnick
02-12-2007, 12:58 AM
It's never going to happen because it would require new 3D models of the cockpits, but we can dream can't we?

And as for the UberBoost P-51D, with K-14 and a really kick@ss default paintscheme, Can you Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if that ever becomes a reality? I'm talking sackcloth and ashes level whining, of Biblical proportions. I'm talking Job sittin' in the fireplace scrapin' the boils off his skin with a broken pottery shard level crying.

If we had a P-51D with 72"Hg boost and K-14.

(and the really Kick@ss default Paintscheme)

And a Tempest with a K-14 wouldn't even be fair, that'd be like clubbing baby seals. Whpmp-Whomp-WHOMP!!!

F19_Ob
02-12-2007, 01:12 AM
To return to the posters topic....

Well, all planes have that internal cockpit damage, p38 too. It can't be seen from the outside though.
I haven't checked if they have removed it in the latest patch, but that would be a strange thing to do.

The p-38 however have faults in the damagemodel
wich have been posted in ORR.
It can burn for about 10-15mins without damage.
Hopefully they have time to fix it.

Gibbage1
02-12-2007, 02:37 AM
Thats a screenshot I made during the modeling of the cockpit. Its not in-game. It only shows the maximum cockpit damage. The thing is, befure it gets that bad, your dead or bailed out. So you never really see the max damage!!! Only little peaces of it like a bullet hole in the canopy, or in your dash.

Gibbage1
02-12-2007, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by F19_Ob:

The p-38 however have faults in the damagemodel
wich have been posted in ORR.
It can burn for about 10-15mins without damage.
Hopefully they have time to fix it.

How about fixing the 1 hit boom/tail removal? Or maybe the always controle damage in 1 hit? Also, flame an engine on a He-111 or Betty and see how long it will fly around on fire. Thats not unique to the P-38, and hardly makes up for all its other problems. Like the fact that any hit on the gondola will wipe out almost all of its guns.

There is also a famous photo of a P-38 that had its engine set on fire, and still made it back to base, 2 hours later. Tell him he should of exploded 2 minutes after the fire, OK?

Akronnick
02-12-2007, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Gibbage1:
There is also a famous photo of a P-38 that had its engine set on fire, and still made it back to base, 2 hours later. Tell him he should of exploded 2 minutes after the fire, OK?

Is not a Bug, Is Feature, Be sure!

Funny you should mention it though, just last night in a QMB mission I brought home a P-38J with it's #2 engine on fire. Fire went out above about 250-260 mph airspeed, but would flame right back up if I let the speed drop.

So after a long, fast, shallow aproach, I set it down on the runway, killed engine #1, and let the plane drift of the left side of the runway so the rest of my flight wouldn't have to worry about the wreckage. As soon as it stopped, I bailed out and watched My little dude run away from what I was certain was an emminantly exploding airplane. Just for fun I wanted to see how long before the fire either burned itself out or caused catostrophic failure.

Neither happened.

i switched to 8X speed, watched the rest of my flight land, and waited for the fireworks. They never came. If it had been IRL, there would have been ample time for ground crews to put out the fire and save the plane.

Lesson: In P-38, don't bail until wings come off.