PDA

View Full Version : List of server settings?

megalopsuche
03-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Has anyone created a list of the different servers with a comparison of their settings? Most of all, I am interested in icon ranges. Compared to what most of you are used to, I like relatively long icon ranges, but I am not interested in a server with open cockpits and also prefer external views to be off. I've mentioned this before, and some of you thought it was a pretty strange request. Well, to me, short icon ranges with external views enabled is truly bizarre. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So far, "skies of valor" has been the best compromise for me. Although it has external views, the icon ranges are not as severely limited as they are on some servers, but they are still shorter than what I am used to.

In case you're wondering why, I find that longer icon ranges make for better fights. It limits the effectiveness of people who fly like their life depends on it, who make their entire living doing hit 'n runs and never learning to properly merge (which is a blasphemy against truly skilled energy fighting). Moreover, unless you like being surprised in the middle of a good dogfight, short icon ranges force you to adopt the hit and run style to avoid the unexpected "oh crap where did these 3 extra bandits come from?"

Yeah, I've got my opinions. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

crucislancer
03-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Crash_Moses made a spreadsheet a while back that assigned a number to each servers difficulty settings and averaged them out so that servers were ranked by difficulty. I don't think it specifically showed how icons were used on each server, just on or off. Perhaps a search might yield some results?

I don't think that how you want icons is bizzare. Whatever floats your boat, eh?

danjama
03-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by megalopsuche:
Has anyone created a list of the different servers with a comparison of their settings? Most of all, I am interested in icon ranges. Compared to what most of you are used to, I like relatively long icon ranges, but I am not interested in a server with open cockpits and also prefer external views to be off. I've mentioned this before, and some of you thought it was a pretty strange request. Well, to me, short icon ranges with external views enabled is truly bizarre. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So far, "skies of valor" has been the best compromise for me. Although it has external views, the icon ranges are not as severely limited as they are on some servers, but they are still shorter than what I am used to.

In case you're wondering why, I find that longer icon ranges make for better fights. It limits the effectiveness of people who fly like their life depends on it, who make their entire living doing hit 'n runs and never learning to properly merge (which is a blasphemy against truly skilled energy fighting). Moreover, unless you like being surprised in the middle of a good dogfight, short icon ranges force you to adopt the hit and run style to avoid the unexpected "oh crap where did these 3 extra bandits come from?"

Yeah, I've got my opinions. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

me and you like similar things mate!

I'm forever looking for a server with Externals off, Cockpit ON, and good icon settings, like friendly 3-4k and enemy 1k maybe or something like that. You just dont see it though do you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

megalopsuche
03-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Eh, I'm not alone! Enemy icons out to 2.5-3km would be perfect for my taste.

For some reason, to increase challenge, icons are the first thing servers seem to limit before external views and see-through cockpits...it just leaves me scratching my head in wonderment. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Woke_Up_Dead
03-27-2009, 04:40 PM
I will add my voice to the choir here. Closed-pit, no externals, but icons ranges long enough that you don't have to try identify the plane by shape.

Billy_DeLyon
03-27-2009, 08:51 PM
I agree with you guys too. It seems there is some demand out there for locked-pit server with icons enabled.

The ones I've found are:

GRIJ-dedicated; not sure what range icons they have, it hardly is relevant because for whatever reason that server is strictly low-alt, wild-furball style with airbases close to each other. Some of their maps feature historical matchups, others are anything goes. It's fun for a while, beats flying offline to practice gunnery.

UKD3- awesome server, historical maps and planesets, easygoing but skilled and team-oriented crowd. IIRC it's just short friendly icons tho (correct me if I'm wrong, haven't been on in a while). Possibly my favorite server but unfortunately it's often unpopulated when I'm online as I live in N America.

I usually end up on SOV too. Fun server but I wish they'd go locked pit. Whatever, I leave mine on and forget about it, except to chuckle and zoom off when I'm trying to bounce someone and they obviously F6 me.

megalopsuche
03-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Billy_DeLyon:
UKD3- awesome server, historical maps and planesets, easygoing but skilled and team-oriented crowd. IIRC it's just short friendly icons tho (correct me if I'm wrong, haven't been on in a while). Possibly my favorite server but unfortunately it's often unpopulated when I'm online as I live in N America.

I usually end up on SOV too. Fun server but I wish they'd go locked pit. Whatever, I leave mine on and forget about it, except to chuckle and zoom off when I'm trying to bounce someone and they obviously F6 me.

Yes, the UK servers have some great setups, but the icon ranges for enemy aircraft only show up at ridiculously close range.

Locked-pit with enemy icons out to 3km... Since we all like the idea so much, I'm perplexed that there isn't something like this already. Is there a server that would try out these settings if enough of us said "hey, we'd fly it, and might even donate if we like it?"