PDA

View Full Version : FAQ from Might & Magic Heroes VI (Town Screen and much more...)

Kartabon
08-31-2010, 12:23 PM
As a petition from users here and as I'm seeing a lot of people is asking the same questions once and again, I've decided to make this sticky post where the most asked questions will be answered if possible. I'll post the first one, and as you keep asking, I'll be updating this post. Please, don't make more threads about questions that have been already answered here. Thank you all.

So, let's start with the question that Znork suggested me to clarify with this new thread:

Will there be any town screen?

And the answer is: YES, totally. In the demo shown in Colonia, they used a temporary (http://www.drachenwald.net/gamescom/093.JPG) screen. The final one is said to be in 2D, more like H3 and H4 and not as complex as the H5 ones. Erwan Le Breton, the game producer, said it himself:

Erwan Le Breton: There will be 2D animated town screen in the release version of the game

New mechanics for creature production (no need for caravans)

Creature dwellings will work as resource production buildings. Basically, when you first capture a creature dwelling you will receive a first batch of creatures that you can integrate straight away to your army. The building will then work as a resource building meaning that it will add creatures to your creature pool every week as a gold mine would add gold to your resources. These creatures will then be hirable via the cities and forts you control.

Town unique buildings
2 slots, 4 buildings per town, each with a different ability (economy booster, creature production booster, gives a special ability on the adventure map or the combat maps)
Having several similar unique buildings in different towns improves their efficiency (a bit like the marketplaces).

General principles of the revised RPG system
- Heroes can be male, female, Might, Magic
- Heroes have faction and class specific abilities
- Heroes gain skill points when they level up, that they can spend consciously on “general” abilities organized in skill categories – they have total control over their development – no more “probability-based” limited skill choices offered to the player
- Heroes can unlock advanced classes that will change their appearance and grant them an ultimate ability

More variety in the combat arenas
- Specific topography (various sizes and shapes for the battle arenas)
- Dynamic topography (seashore battle with the tide flooding the arena turn by turn)
- Different combat objectives (hold your ground for X turns, defend this sacred shrine at the center of the arena, kill a specific enemy stack, etc.)
- Boss fights!

Initiative system
Back to H3 mechanics but with a H5-like INI bar interface.

New Creature Tier System
Core, Elite, Champion (like Clash of Heroes)

Creature Siege Damage
Creature stacks can now damage the fortifications (but are obviously less efficient than catapults)

Fixed camera angle
On the adventure map, to remove the necessity of rotating the camera to locate hidden items.
Easier to manage for players and map designers, feels like 2D navigation but with the benefit of 3D coolness

No secondary / alternative upgrades
Obvious in the concept arts.

The Artifact Sets
Nothing special – you collect them all and you get a bonus.

The different tilesets
Jungle, Plains (Summer AND Autumn), Lava, Wasteland (Necropolis), Underground

The presence of critters on the adv map
Turtles, dolphins, birds, etc.

Campaign structure
5 campaigns of 4 maps, 1 per faction, playable in any order, with an optional tutorial map and a mandatory prologue map.

The Map editor
A fan is REALLY involved and there is a goal to make it user-friendly at the latest to be shipped with the game, but if possible and the quality is good enough it will be released BEFORE the game.

Dergos
08-31-2010, 01:55 PM
New Creature Tier System
I never played this game and probably never will since i don't intend to buy a portable gaming device. what does this mean, can i expect something like in h4, where you have skeletons and imps as level 1, then level 2 cerberus or ghosts? and if so do you have to choose one creature from level 2 like in h4 or will it be like 3 level 1 creatures, 2 level 2 creatures, 2 level 3 creatures and 1 top tier creature where you can have em all http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

- Boss fights!

I just don't know if i'm going to be happy about this, bossfights where for me just fighting the stongest army of the enemy .
where you have to think youre every move, very chess-like.
i don't think i would be as excited about fighting a kraken or something equivalent.
but i will not judge it before i have seen a video of it, or played it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Town unique buildings http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

Basically, when you first capture a creature dwelling you will receive a first batch of creatures that you can integrate straight away to your army. The building will then work as a resource building meaning that it will add creatures to your creature pool every week as a gold mine would add gold to your resources.

so even if you don't have the apropriat building in town but you flagged a dwelling you can recruit those creature in your town?
can you recruit them in any town you have or will creature dwellings be assigned to a specific town?

mhhm many questions already will give others a chance to ask some more

PANCZASU
09-03-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Kartabon:
Will there be any town screen?

And the answer is: YES, totally. In the demo shown in Colonia, they used a temporary (http://www.drachenwald.net/gamescom/093.JPG) screen. The final one is said to be in 2D, more like H3 and H4 and not as complex as the H5 ones. Erwan Le Breton, the game producer, said it himself:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Erwan Le Breton: There will be 2D animated town screen in the release version of the game
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
One word - banana http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Creature dwellings will work as resource production buildings. Basically, when you first capture a creature dwelling you will receive a first batch of creatures that you can integrate straight away to your army. The building will then work as a resource building meaning that it will add creatures to your creature pool every week as a gold mine would add gold to your resources. These creatures will then be hirable via the cities and forts you control.
Interesting, I think I can see how that's gonna help. Finally it won't just be enough to sit at a specific road with a small army to block the caravans, now you'll need to put the effort into finding those dwellings, which is great!

General principles of the revised RPG system
- Heroes can be male, female, Might, Magic
- Heroes have faction and class specific abilities
- Heroes gain skill points when they level up, that they can spend consciously on “general” abilities organized in skill categories – they have total control over their development – no more “probability-based” limited skill choices offered to the player
- Heroes can unlock advanced classes that will change their appearance and grant them an ultimate ability
This made me wonder about something I didn't think of earlier - are heroes going to be standing behind your army like in HoMM I, II, III and V or are they going to be units like in HoMM IV? I know that the screens suggest the first option but since this game is so far from release, everything can still change.

Or maybe heroes will act like in classic HoMMs but after your army is destroyed they'll enter the battlefield for their final stand?

New Creature Tier System
I'm both happy and unhappy with this one. It's great that we'll be given so many different (ok, not so different, but still) units, but I'm going to miss HoMM V ToE alternative units system...

Creature Siege Damage
Creature stacks can now damage the fortifications (but are obviously less efficient than catapults)

Great! It was always a bit annoying in HoMM V when I had a billion of Magma Dragons and could only stare at the gate, wishing my catapult would hit it.

Campaign structure
5 campaigns of 4 maps, 1 per faction, playable in any order, with an optional tutorial map and a mandatory prologue map.

And how about the scenarios? Is there any information about their number? And the number of simple/clssic hot-seat maps? I sure wish there'll be more of them then in HoMM VI.

The Map editor
A fan is REALLY involved and there is a goal to make it user-friendly at the latest to be shipped with the game, but if possible and the quality is good enough it will be released BEFORE the game.
Wow. But I know for sure I'm not going to touch the map editor before I see what I can do with it (which means - after I play the campaign and have a decent idea of the game mechanics. That said, I'm very happy to see that we're going to get a great map editor, I spend more time in it then in actual game!

All of this makes me hopeful for this game, and proves that I should not have judge it too quickly. I still miss the old resources, but it may not be a fatal loss yet.

Alderbranchh
09-04-2010, 04:00 AM
The heroes will be like in heroes 5 and not like in 4 from what was seen on the demo

Xenofex_086
09-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Initiative system
Back to H3 mechanics but with a H5-like INI bar interface. Does this mean that that the creatures will have a single stat defining both their initiative and movement range, like Speed in HoMM I-III? Or they will be separated - like Speed and Movement in HoMM IV?
Also - will a single creature have a single action within one turn?

New Creature Tier System
Core, Elite, Champion (like Clash of Heroes) From what I understand, there will be some "creature pools" for each of these tier classes, combining up to 3 different creatures. Does this mean that if you exclusively hire one of the creatures in the pool, this will deplete the available population of the other... pool-mates? And is cross-training possible - i.e. transforming, for instance, a Core creature into another Core creature at will?

Kartabon
09-05-2010, 01:53 PM
They will have initiative and speed Xenofex, just the initiative will state the place they will move in the turn http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mcgslo
09-06-2010, 04:01 AM
Can any one explain how does or will or would New Creature Tier System work? How exactly is it working in Clash of heroes?

Core, Elite, Champion? How many creatures can you have in your army? only 3? one from core one from elite one from champion? or will be combination of 7 creatures with some rules? I am confuzed :S

Mitra12
09-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm also very interested in this new tier system (from clash of heroes). Anyone able to explain it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Phoss
09-08-2010, 02:55 PM
No creature upgrades, Homm3 initiative, back to fixed camera angle. Is this a step back in evolution because it's too much of a bother to come up with something new that works better?

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
09-08-2010, 03:04 PM

I assumed it would increase town production for that type of unit (flagged external dwelling), but will that external dwelling also produce a small amount of troops AT the external dwelling each week? Or do you only get that first initial group? The way it's worded makes you think it's the second option. Which is fine I guess.

More variety in the combat arenas
- Specific topography (various sizes and shapes for the battle arenas)
- Dynamic topography (seashore battle with the tide flooding the arena turn by turn)
- Different combat objectives (hold your ground for X turns, defend this sacred shrine at the center of the arena, kill a specific enemy stack, etc.)
- Boss fights!

Sounds interesting. What I'm really wanting to see is a NON-RECTANGLE battle screen. Sure, that's fine for a traditional battle...but I'd love to see some uniqueness here and add narrow passages, nooks & corners to add new tactics to battles. They can get to predictable...even with battlefield objects.

Initiative system

Creature Siege Damage

Thank you. :O)

Fixed camera angle
On the adventure map, to remove the necessity of rotating the camera to locate hidden items.
Easier to manage for players and map designers, feels like 2D navigation but with the benefit of 3D coolness

Sounds good...but from seeing some of the screen shots of the jungle terrain...I'm skeptical that we'll still be dealing with not being able to see items clearly.

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
09-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Phoss:
No creature upgrades, Homm3 initiative, back to fixed camera angle. Is this a step back in evolution because it's too much of a bother to come up with something new that works better?

No MULTIPLE creature upgrades. In other words...one basic unit, one upgraded unit. Not TWO upgraded units.

Initiative....it's still there, only simplified like in h3. Completely based on unit speed instead of unit initiative.

Fixed camera angle....I'll wait and see on that one. It's got me a bit concerned.

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
09-08-2010, 03:21 PM
As for how the classes of units work in Clash of Heroes...I'll try to explain it in terms of Heroes 3 for example.

Tower:
Level 1: Master Gremlin
Level 2: Obsidian Gargoyle
Level 3: Iron Golem
Level 4: Arch Mage
Level 5: Master Genie (me of course)
Level 6: Naga Queen
Level 7: Titan

With the new system, the "core" units would be the Gremlins & Gargoyles. Their stats would be similar in potency. One might have better attack and the other better defense. They'd have different skills and thus different playing styles but in terms of stack strength...similar. The "elite" units would be the Golems, Mages & Genies. A tank, a shooter & a spell caster. Similar stats and they'd all have certain strengths and weaknesses...but certainly not dominating units. The "Champion" units would be your top level unit or top two units. They'd be clearly a cut above the previous group.

Another way to look at this is to look at the old H3 Conflux town.

Sprites
4 elemental units
Magic elemental/Phoenix

That town is pretty clearly broken down into 3 groups. This is similar to what we'll be seeing. You'll still be able to build all the units and buy all the units, but we won't see one specific unit stand out from his/her counterparts in the group. Like Harpy Hags did. Or Grand Elves.

At least that's how I'm interpreting it.

Xenofex_086
09-09-2010, 12:50 AM
C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s, this is a possible explanation, but then why will they split the units in such categories, while leaving them like they were could serve the same purpose. In HoMM V they actually managed to balance the creatures inside each faction pretty well, making all or almost all of them usable. For Dungeon the lvl 3 Minotaur serves as a tank, while the lvl 2 Blood Maiden is a clear attacker/damage dealer, but they are of comparable strength, for Inferno in one situation you will need Cerberi more than Familiars, in another it will be the other way around, etc. This Core-Elite-Champion thing won't make much sense if it doesn't have other uses (like some building/spell that affects only the Core creatures, not that you can't make the same affecting only the lvl 1-3 stacks if you want to).
About the external creature-generating dwellings - I'm curious what happens if you capture something that you can't associate with one of your towns. For example - you capture Barracks for Swordsmen, but have only Necropolis as a town. Will you be able to recruit the Swordsmen from this Barrack like in the previous games, or you'll have to find a Haven first? Hope it isn't the second option.

Homm3 initiative, back to fixed camera angle What's wrong with these two? The HoMM V initiative system was the triumph of randomness and unpredictability, too many things were based on some built-in scripts and algorithms, not on your decisions. Just as entertaining as flipping a coin. And still even this is better than trying to pull the screen through, so you can see some object of interest on the adventure map. Seriously, you just want to complain about something, or actually have an argument against these things?

mcgslo
09-10-2010, 03:23 AM
Still in clashes of heroes you have 8 creatures per faction... and there is some limit to choose elite/champion creatures.... so you cant have them all in battle... ... from one pic of H6 you can see that we will still have 7 spaces for creatures...

mcgslo
09-10-2010, 03:29 AM
clashes of heroes has ONLY 5 factions and 8 creatures...
http://www.facebook.com/photo....=161184829587&ref=mf (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4520337&fbid=421711179587&id=161184829587&ref=mf)

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
09-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Xenofex_086:
C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s, this is a possible explanation, but then why will they split the units in such categories, while leaving them like they were could serve the same purpose.

Specifically, I don't know. But there are tons of possibilities with it. You could design the heroes in campaigns to open up the next set of town dwellings once you reach a specific level. You could have artifacts that effect specific groups of units. You could have spells that effect different tiers in different ways. But it could be the simplest explanation, with 3 groups of troop classifications they don't have as many concerns in terms of balancing units because there's more discrepancies between each tier and more similarities within tiers.

But for the actual reason...WAFO. :O)

About the external creature-generating dwellings - I'm curious what happens if you capture something that you can't associate with one of your towns. For example - you capture Barracks for Swordsmen, but have only Necropolis as a town. Will you be able to recruit the Swordsmen from this Barrack like in the previous games, or you'll have to find a Haven first? Hope it isn't the second option.

Considering the whole 'Area of Control' aspect of H6, I'd think that external dwellings are set to a tier at the beginning of the map and once flagged, they produce the unit from that specific heroes town. Also, the ones in the heroes area of control to start the map convert automatically. More specifically...they aren't dwellings of a specific unit, but rather a dwelling of a specific tier that generically covers all town varieties. At least that would make the most sense in terms of map making and working with the AoC feature.

Also, if you noticed on one of those videos posted, you can convert towns to different towns. It could be simply that feature put to use on external dwellings too.

BlackEscaflowne
09-15-2010, 05:08 AM
Well, if the units are the same as in Clash of Heroes, then I will be dissapointed.

Then again, I was extreemly skeptical from day 1.

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
09-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by BlackEscaflowne:
Well, if the units are the same as in Clash of Heroes, then I will be dissapointed.

Then again, I was extreemly skeptical from day 1.

They're not. They ARE, however, using the tiered system in the organization of town units. That's all. They're going away from levels 1-7 and instead using 3 tiers of Core, Elite, and Champion.

smithey33
09-22-2010, 09:34 PM

Campaign structure

So, let me get this straight... each faction's campaign has ONLY 4 maps ??
u play the undead campaign and ur done after finishing ONLY 4 maps ??? 4 ? thats all ???

dchalfont
09-23-2010, 08:39 AM
u play the undead campaign and ur done after finishing ONLY 4 maps ??? 4 ? thats all ???

Well 20 levels in the vanilla campaign sounds O.K to me, I would prefer they spend the resources on overall game mechanics and making a bunch of maps for us to use as the custom maps. That's where people spend 99% of their time, you never know, the maps might be huge and detailed and have a much better/focused stories, the voice acting and overall design of the Heroes campaign levels from every heroes game has been terrible, so bad that a lot of the time they seem user made. I'd take 4 polished/properly voiced/story driven levels over a bunch of tedious low budget ones that heroes usually has any day

/

Or this could just be penny pinching B.S. I hope it is the former though, I usually hate the heroes campaigns for the reasons above.

Swrd
09-26-2010, 08:46 AM
No secondary / alternative upgrades
Obvious in the concept arts.

Really? Why? That was one of the coolest feature in Heroes 5... i hope it will at least come to be in future exp packs.

Also why back to 2D town screens? Could we maybe get both and choose wich we want? I loved to see the glorious cities in beautiful 3D in heroes 5.

DJ_Nekrom
09-27-2010, 04:14 PM

Ok if this is the case, then I wonder if the Campaign Maps will be really huge and long to play, or if the story content will be backed-up by additional scenarios. Because the story is quite much emphasized in this release and 20 missions seem quite short to tell the whole thing...

I quite liked the campaigns and official scenarios form other HOMM games however I also imagine they could have been better realized - your own imagination helps a lot to be pleased with the former to be honest - and being a huge fantasy fan, it helps =)

I wonder how well the story and lore will be presented in this edition - hope part of the long preparations for this game's coming-out was spent to polish the "feel" of the game's universe and atmosphere. (a detailed campaign, world/continent - overview map would help a lot for immersion)

I'm also very curious how the game designers will achieve, the much advertised, "very different feel of play" with each separate faction... I mean it's a lot easier to do in an RTS than in a turned-based system I believe - as you can really feel the difference in each race/faction's development speed and momentum as well as difference in micro-management in real-time. Here it's turn-based, much slower, less micro, common skills/magic available for multiple factions and therefore must be quite a challenge to really differentiate the 'feel'... I'm waiting to see this impress me.
(I do remember my first time playing Dark Reign and Starcraft 1 RTS games - the first times I really felt a huuuuge difference between factions I played) -> IF mmh6 achieves the latter, then I think I'll have a mind-orgasm.

One last thing scrubs my mind... as Boss fights are confirmed I wonder if some of them will imply fighting some gods/deities/divinities of sort and will a religion factor be more present in this game. (such as for instance - some very powerful hero's priest magic, summoning a deity/divinity to replace your army during a fight acting like a boss in boss-fights -> something like Summons in Final Fantasy X) or maybe get super powerful buffs or debuffs from these beings - that'd be cool and maybe it would allow strong caster heroes to be more useful vs "Stack of Doom" armies.

SkeleTony1969
09-29-2010, 04:09 AM
Doing away with the alternate upgrades is a big mistake. That was one of the things that H5:ToTE got RIGHT.

Doing away with resources is also a big mistake.

Also, am I understanding correctly that heroe4s for each faction will be from both a "might" and a "magic" class(as in Heroes III)? If so then I applaud you for realizing this was the way to go. if there are two reasons I cannot bring myself to play my copy of Heroes 5:ToTE it is that you did away with the 'Might & Magic' hero classes for each faction and the damned 3D which pretty well ruined the game for most of us Heroes 3 fans(check out the message forums where Heroes fans hang out if you don't believe me).

'Boss fights' also sounds a bit console-tardish to me and has me worried.

But I will wait and see and hope for the best.

evildiablo4
10-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Also as one of the original player and fan of the series starting from HOMMI, I would also like to suggest a few things that has been bothering me and a few other fans on Youtube when the trailer and details are launched.

One of the most important graphics flaw is the design for undead. The team seems as if they are still gonna use the same design from Heroes V which I think is no where as good compared to that of Heroes III, the classic Heroes game. The main problem with the undead design and graphics is that it looks way too much like Warcraft in many ways. Too much green is used on the design just like Warcraft and it makes it look like as if the undead came out of radioactive nuclear waste dumpsite. A suggestion from me is to use more grey and maybe dark blue instead, better eerie look. The looks of the Vampire and the lich also is a bit too much like Warcraft with the skinny guy floating in air with mist and the pale guy in armor with a nice sword much like the Lich King and the liches of warcraft. Could be better with some different design if Ubisoft team doesnt mind.

Having 6 resources is also something I think shouldnt be taken away. This characteristic was there in the series from the beginning. I realise the team is trying to create a new generation and all but only 4 resources will upset many fans. Having to collect 6 different resources isnt that much of a bother, and it wont make gameplay that horrible. I think the game can still sell with having to collect 2 more resources.

So if anybody in the development team reads this, please take this for consideration. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

EBugle
10-10-2010, 02:09 AM
Campaign structure

O...only 5 factions?

We haven't had that few since Heroes I! I sure hope the expansions add plenty of factions if that's the case...

I wonder which of the 8 from before aren't showing up (and appologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, this is the only thread I've read so far)? I'd guess the three that weren't in Clash. Personally, I was rather dissapointed by the lack of Dark Elves in Clash... Dungeon has been a staple since HI (Warlock)! Shame that they just vanished in Clash...

Most of the rest looks good (or at least I'll have to wait and see) aside from boss fights. Boss fights are the huge army on huge army fights near the end of most levels!) Though I suppose the boss fight at the end of HV was okay... so if boss fights were handled like that, I wouldn't mind.

EBugle
10-18-2010, 01:37 PM
So, I've had more time to think about all the info I've learned, so here's some (hopefully) constructive thoughts, both praise and criticism.

Warning, STUPENDOUSLY long wall of text approaching!

2D TownScreen: Excellent! While I appreciate V's attempt to make as much 3D as possible, I really believe it hurt the town screen. I honestly didn't care about the town screen at all, since it was too hard to see what was where, and in some town's cases (dungeon), buildings all looked the same! The 2D screens of yore were always a pleasure, you could see what was in the town at a glance (as opposed to needing to check the building screen like in V), as well as watch your town grow. I personally hope it goes back to HoMM II here, where you got a nifty noise and the structure faded in, I don't seem to remember III doing that.

New Creature Production: This isn't intrinsically obvious to me... But let me take a shot at it. Capturing a, say, centaur glade (going with III creatures in this example) would provide you with a handful of centaurs, and then add so much to your centaur production every week instead of letting you visit it for more? Can you access these bonus centaurs at any town, or just towns that produce centaurs (ramparts in HoMIII's case)? Do you get the bonus once, or once per town? If the later, what happens if you have two centaur producing towns? If the former, that could spiral out of control!

The other possibility I see is that all centaur producing towns and dwellings add up, per week (so let's say 2 towns, 1 dwelling, and 24 centaurs here). So I could buy 19 at one town and the remaining 5 at the other town if I wished, or all 24 at one, or split them 12 12 or whatever. If that's the case... that seems cool because you wouldn't have to run between 3 different towns to amass your entire army.

Also, with the lack of caravans... what about caravans between towns?

Town Unique Buildings: Nothing new here =P We'd been doing this since HoMMII! But 4 is a nice number for that, so cool. I believe III was 4 as well? Going from memory here... The fortress had 4, the rampart had 5, castle had 5, so 4 or 5 per. Making them like the market place seems interesting... but I suppose that's been done before (necromancy altar being the most obvious example)

Male/female and Might/magic heroes: So back to III, good =P The decent to one hero type per town in III seemed very backwards.

Heroes have faction and class specific abilities: So a combination of HoMM IV and V? Sounds alright. Or are you talking secondary skills, so exactly the same as HoMMV?

Heroes gain skill points when they level up, that they can spend consciously on “general” abilities organized in skill categories and they have total control over their development – no more “probability-based” limited skill choices offered to the player: Okay... at first I saw this as "we're getting rid of perks" but I was tire when I read that and only fully realized the implications later.

You're getting RID of one of the most defining aspects of Heroes? Seriously =(

The random leveling is a huge part of Heroes' charm, and choosing you skills took a fair amount of skill. Do you take the thing that's more immediately useful, or the thing that's less likely to come up again? Do you take the basic version of a helpful skill to fill your last slot, or an advanced version of something less immediately useful in hopes that you get that one skill you've really been wanting later? This was beauty incarnate, and you're taking it away for skill points, something used almost everywhere? Please don't...

Think of campaigns. Campaigns would be pretty boring to replay if you could pick your skills. You'd know what to look out for on your second run through and could just pick what's best based on that knowledge... While with the randomness, your playing through the campaign won't be the same! Maybe instead of specializing in fire magic like your first run, you never got fire magic and had to settle for air! The hero development is one of the most fun parts (for me and I'm sure for others) in campaigns, cause I like to see how they turn out! Removing the randomness eliminates the surprise and stagnates instead.

Now, I will agree, the randomness was actually too MUCH in HommV, certain skills were far too rare, and having perks and... whatever the other abilities were called (I forget) taking the same 2 slots on the level up menu could be frustrating when you were offered the same perk you didn't want 10 levels in a row. But still, that's hardly reason to remove the randomness entirely! HoMM II and III had a good ammount of randomness, and even IV hit it fine with it's ONE HUNDRED skill slots to fill (oi...). So yeah, V was too much, and 0 is to little...

Though, thinking about it, there would be a rather cool way to use skill points AND randomness. When you level, you get your choice between, oh, let's say leadership and logistics, and you take leadership. Now you have 1 point to spend on skills, and you purchase basic leadership (the only thing available right now. Then you level up again with the same choices and pick leadership again. Now you can either get advanced leadership, or pick one of it's abilities: estates, diplomacy, or recruitment. Lets say you pick diplomacy. then the next point has to go into advanced leadership, and the next could go into expert, estates, recruitment, or whatever diplomacy has unlocked. Etc... etc... Honestly, this seems like a fair balance between randomness and having LOTS of skills like V did.

Am I alone in my thoughts that complete control of your hero would be less fun than some randomness?

Heroes can unlock advanced classes that will change their appearance and grant them an ultimate ability: so like in IV only your appearance will change too? Nice.

More variety in the combat arenas:
This actually seems kind of cool, for the most part. Dynamic terrain (so long as it's a set pattern) would add a new challenge to it (Move those shooters or they'll drown!)

Except the boss fights... if they're boss fights like Briara and the demon king at the end of Zehir's campaign... that I'm fine with, actually. But if it's your army against one giant boss with unique abilities? That sounds incredibly dull, honestly. Boss heroes sounds fine, boss monsters seems boring.

Back to H3 mechanics but with a H5-like INI bar interface: So HoMM IV. Good, HoMM IV did speed and initiative best.

New Creature Tier System: Core, Elite, Champion: Um, okay? This is either pointless cause there will be tiers inside the tiers (i.e. gargoyles will be stronger than gremlins and weaker than golems, but they'd all be core), or obnoxious cause you're reducing us down to 3 tiers (gremlin, gargoyle, and golem are all equally strong, just different)! HoMM IV reduced us to 4, and made us choose our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tier structures, and that felt like a pain, though it was kind of okay cause you usually had 2 heroes taking up the last two slots, so 2 heroes, 2 1st tier, and 1 2nd-4th made 5... but it still seemed backwards to me.

Could we get some elaboration on this? Either it seems irelevaent or backwards, so I'm wondering what the devs' thought process behind this was, and if there's something I'm missing.

Creature stacks can now damage the fortifications: So like HoMM IV only with catapults too. Good, that'll make seiges go faster and discourage turtling somewhat (Stop those behemoths from breaking the draw bridge and exposing your archers!). Hopefuly we'll get something like III's cyclopes too, which are especially good at damaging walls!

Fixed camera angle: Oh thank you! I know you could do this with an option in V (and did), but it still felt like you could easily miss stuff (like sylvanna's ancients) because the levels seemed set up for rotating cameras, not the static one. Hopefully with a purely static camera, that won't be a problem.

No secondary / alternative upgrades:

Yet... *cough*

Artifact Sets: Nothing new here, but still a good tradition.

Tile sets:[b] More than that, I hope? autumn and summer plains seems AWESOME, though. Nice flair.

[b]Critters: Again, nice flair, but don't go too overboard with flair and under develop features =D

5 campaigns, 4 maps each: I touched on this already... but here goes again.

First, we haven't had this few levels in the campaigns since HoMM (HoMMII had 21)! Next, 4 levels really is not a lot of time to use each town, but then, it has precedent in HoMMIII and its expansions where you'd often use a town for a campaign and then never again. I believe the poor inferno is used a total of 3 times across all 3 campaign groups? 4 if you picked it again in the final level of the first evil campaign in RoE.

Still, I could see 4 if there are NO levels without towns (or at least very few). Townless levels just... seem like such a chore (This, like most of this post, is all personal opinion, so feel free to disagree!). When you don't have a town, (and there's none on the map), the level is already pretty much won, it's just inevitable. I can think of only a few exceptions to this in V:

First: the first barbarian level. You didn't have a town here, but you were racing against another player to collect heads! This was an amazingly fun level, and the time limit made you really have to stretch your mind.

Second: Agrael racing to the tomb. Again, this was a race, so the time limit factors in here.

Pretty sure none of the other townless levels were timed in any way, so they were just get from A to B with no threats to stop you.

This was especially obnoxious in V with the inferno campaign. Leves 1, 2, AND 5 were all townless (though 2 is forgivable as I said), and then level 3 you're basically told "go use the sylvan towns, not the inferno, since you can't build past a certain point." This left only level 4 with a town you could build up fully thus use inferno to its fullest, and let me tell you, this made for a completely unfulfilling campaign as I barely got a taste of what inferno had to offer.

So yeah... I'm fine with a mere 20 levels if they all seem fully fleshed. And you already said the tutorial is external and not a part of the campaign, for which I'm sure the vast majority of us thank you.

I am awfully worried about the mere 5 factions to start out with, though. We haven't had that few since HoMM!

Map Editor Sounds good, I'd love to use it! Shipping before the game will be interesting to say the least!

Stand by for a second wall of text regarding the Q&As on the main site/facebook page!

EBugle
10-18-2010, 02:39 PM
I apologize for triple posting, but it seemed warranted as the second was a long time after the first, and the second was already long and I imagine this third one will be quite long too! And it seemed like a good stopping point as I'm separating what's in the forum from what's in the Q&As. Those of you who've made it this far, congrats!

4 recources down from 7: I'm not going to lie... at first, this seemed terrible! But now I'm actually kind of interested to see how it pans out. Don't get me wrong, it could still blow up in everyone's faces if not done right... but I kind kind of see where they're hoping to go with this.

Instead of two common resources and 4 rare resources, those numbers have been halved! So you don't need to spend your first two turns (or 2 heroes and 1 turn if possible) flagging wood and ore, just one flagging one. Likewise, it'll cut down the time flagging all mines in the area, cause there will likely be less. You'll also not get resource screwed and desperately need that 10th crystal with no crystal mines anywhere around and have to use the dreaded market place. I can support all this.

However, hopefully this all comes with a cost: needing to juggle what you do get even more! if you only need ore as opposed to ore and wood, you're going to need MORE ore! If they can get this balance down, I suspect this relationship will work just fine!

7 magic schools: Really too early too comment on this... if it's like HoMM III with loads of spells, that'd be iffy. If it's like V with only 10 spells per school (and more in ToTE), that seems fine.

Not needing top of the line hardware: Thank you. Our old clunkers thank you too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Second interview, which brings up a lot of stuff I don't know about! Well, I'll try as best as I can.

Action Range: I apparently haven't done as much homework as I thought and don't know what this is yet! TOO THE HOMEWORK MOBILE

No conversion: Shame, but understandable.

Bosses on maps: I am uncertain what to think of this. Depends on how the bosses play out. This does answer one of the questions posed earlier, however... I really must do more homework!

Mods: Excellent news indeed!

Adjustments: That all seems fine. Doubt I'll touch them, though, aside from making my keyboard shortcuts parallel to HoMIII if they're not already.

achievements: Great, cause I wasn't going to be wasting a crap ton of time in this game ANYWAY... =P

Auto canceling Conversion Again, homework! Gah!

From what I can tell, though, seems seems kind of cool. SImilar to The corrupting of the Silver cities in V Prime, I'm assuming, in which case... awesome.

Auto canceling it seems like the right move here if it's captured/converted/recaptured.

Creature boosting Sounds like some people understand this more than I do, but my research seems not to be yielding much. Is there a secret place where people get to see more than others? =( Or am I ust looking in the wrong places?

From what I can understand, though, it sounds good.

Personalized cities: Awesome, this was a nice touch in V.

Tear of Asha: Good, I suppose. Personally, I prevered ultimate artifacts from II, but the grail's still fine.

Movement: SO in otherwards, HoMM V movement? Shame. I actually kind of liked how a slower creature would slow down an army, so you'd have an incentive not to take those 5 iron golemns to speed you up. Brings up "fond" memories of when I wasn't as good a player as I am now, and wound up chasing a guy who was only using high speed monsters around the map for months!

4 Resources... again: A fair rebuttal to their point, I think.

Static Fog of War Good, I feel like there's no reason to change that formula, really. It seems appropriate for an RTS< but not so much a TBS.

Building per category, not per creature: Boooo! =( That seems like a dumbing down of a perfectly fine system! I suppose I'll have to see it in action first, but as of right now, that just doesn't seem right =(

Q: "How will we be able to personalized our hero: name, sex, M&M orientation...

A: Indeed, we’ll be able to personalize his name, sex, orientation, M&M and his advanced class, which depends on his abilities choices."

That doesn't answer "how" =P Sorry, just picking on you there, Xhane.

So do you get to pick the hero's specialty too?

Balancing Might and Magic damage more: I wish you luck with that! It doesn't seem like the easiest task when each has its own way to damage, but we'll see.

Skill Trees: Alas, looks like I showed up late to the war (if there even was a war). I must say, I am not looking forward to skill trees at all, unless they are masterfully done. KB was probably the first skill tree I saw that actually intrigued me cause you had 3 different types of points, and you could need up to all three to purchase them!

Q: As we have a total control on a hero development, how are you going to avoid that all heroes are like every other one? Are you going to create intermediary competences to avoid a ideal « template »?

A: Each hero has a class with a unique ability and all factions don’t have the same access to magic and to competences. Moreover, there is a racial competence per faction.

Again, that doesn't seem to answer the question.

It seems like you're saying that one can't make an over all template that would fit every faction, no... but It does sound like you could make one for a specific faction. It sounds like it'll be very easy to build an "optimal" hero that can handle all/most situations easily. That's what the person was acting about, what's stopping -that-? if nothing... I fear hero development will be very boring to many =(

This, incidently, is why I am so dead set against the lack of randomization in levels. I fear it'll lead to stagnation in hero development.

Combat being bigger but still no more than 7 stacks: Okay...? Didn't think we'd have more than 7 anyway! Hopefully now, though, we'll at least be able to use 7 different large monsters instead of being capped at 5, le sigh.

Morale and chance: So classic formula, good.

Archers in arrow tower: We can put archers there? What strategic advantage is this if they'll be killed when the tower is killed? That seems potentially brutal!

Weather affecting combat: SOunds cool! More games should do that, honestly.

Monster size capped at 2x2 and 4x4 for bosses: Still think 2x2 is incredibly clunky, and 4x4 even more so. 4x4 better appear with no terrain blocking it, or it sounds like it could be easy to huddle in an area the boss can't reach!

No more losing old utility in upgrades: Awww, I thought that was a moderately cool idea! Oh well, it makes sense for people to not forget old abilities to learn new ones.

Neutral creatures: I'm not sure whether to be excited or not since we don't know how many yet, but I'm glad there are some at least!

2-3 large creatures per faction: Sounds MUCH better than the 3-4 in V.

Anyway, that seems like it... Guess I better do some more homework for future questions, though. That was an awful lot of information, and I hope at least some of this feedback was useful to the devs, even if it's just them going "oh, well, he's right to be concerned about that" or "yeah, he's got that right, good to see people can understand our intentions, or "no, he's got that completely wrong, but at least we know people are confused about this!"

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with where it's going so far, but I'm veeeeeerry cautious about a lot as well. Hopefully I have nothing to worry about, though, and the game will be enjoyable!

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
10-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by SkeleTony1969:
Doing away with the alternate upgrades is a big mistake. That was one of the things that H5:ToTE got RIGHT.

Heroes 6 BASIC won't have alternate upgrades. But then again, neither did Heroes 5 BASIC. That was a feature of an expansion pack. There's been nothing said that we won't see the same thing featured in a Heroes SIX expansion. They can't put EVERYTHING in the basic game.

Doing away with resources is also a big mistake.

This has me slightly worried too. But there are lots of strategy games that are well done with fewer resources. In my mind, this new way will force players to protect their mines more forcefully than in the past because now ALL factions will be going for that rare resource mine instead of each faction needing different ones. They all need the same stuff and will fight for it accordingly. So it definitely CAN work...but I'm still on the fence a bit on this one.

Also, am I understanding correctly that heroe4s for each faction will be from both a "might" and a "magic" class(as in Heroes III)? If so then I applaud you for realizing this was the way to go. if there are two reasons I cannot bring myself to play my copy of Heroes 5:ToTE it is that you did away with the 'Might & Magic' hero classes for each faction and the damned 3D which pretty well ruined the game for most of us Heroes 3 fans(check out the message forums where Heroes fans hang out if you don't believe me).

Yes, you read it correctly. There will be both male & female heroes AND might and magic heroes for each faction. And they'll be vastly different from each other. The cookie cutters are gone from what I've seen.

'Boss fights' also sounds a bit console-tardish to me and has me worried.

But I will wait and see and hope for the best.

I've got no clue on this one. I have a feeling it's going to be a minor thing like the adventure map battle sites (dwarven treasury, crypts, dragon utopias, etc).

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
10-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by EBugle:
O...only 5 factions?

We haven't had that few since Heroes I! I sure hope the expansions add plenty of factions if that's the case...

I wonder which of the 8 from before aren't showing up (and appologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, this is the only thread I've read so far)? I'd guess the three that weren't in Clash. Personally, I was rather dissapointed by the lack of Dark Elves in Clash... Dungeon has been a staple since HI (Warlock)! Shame that they just vanished in Clash...

For me, this is my number 1 concern.

Thus far, we've seen Haven, Inferno and Necropolis. That leaves 2 towns. Stronghold, Academy, Dungeon, Sylvan, Dwarven...not to mention a possible new faction. Obviously, some basic towns will be left out...the debate is which ones. For me, I've got to look at it from the might versus magic standpoint. Haven, Inferno & Necropolis all fall into the middle ground of those 2 categories. They are all 3 might AND magic. So I'm guessing we'll see one fully Might town and one fully Magic town. My personal preference would be Stronghold & Academy. But with that setup...just think about what gets left out. I find it hard to imaging a Heroes game without Black Dragons, Elves, Unicorns. But then again, I find it equally as difficult to imagine one without Mages, Genies, Titans, Centaurs, Goblins, etc. To put it bluntly, there's a VERY tough decision coming very soon for Ubi. They've obviously already chosen their first 5 towns...what do they go with in the expansions?

But for me, as long as the game is fun...I'll adapt.

EBugle
10-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Assuming boss battles are handled like the dragon utopia or crypt or sunken ship locations, I could handle that, yeah.

But an interview does say they'll be able to be placed on the map in the Map maker... and I'm really hoping they don't go overboard with these. But we'll see (and maybe they'll be more fun than some of us fear?)

As for the five factions, I absolutely agree, 5 factions is leaving out a lot. Unfortunately, we're looking like we're heading towards Clash right now (or at least, there's no evidence suggesting we're not, while there is evidence of borrowing other things from Clash), haven, inferno, necropolis, Sylvan, Academy, which means no black dragons! It's possible it'd be Sylvan and Dungeon, I suppose, but I don't see dungeon (dark elves) being playable if the normal elves are not, so I don't think Academy/dungeon will happen.

And I really doubt we'll see fortress or stronghold in core. The dwarves don't seem like the kind to participate in a war of five siblings, and while the orcs might, I'm not even sure they exist at this point, I seem to remember they're a rather young race, and they spent most of that time enslaved by the Empire, if I'm remembering my lore right.

But there's still a lot of unknowns, including the possibility for new factions (naga for example) and maybe we'll see a lot of iconic monsters outside of towns, like the phoenix was before.

Course, I'm wondering, if there's no dungeon or sylvan faction in core, will the necropolis's big bad be bone dragons still? Or would dragons exist solely out of towns at this point? Hopefully they won't be entirely gone, because I don't think everyone could handle a heroes game without dragons...

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
10-26-2010, 02:44 PM
As for the five factions, I absolutely agree, 5 factions is leaving out a lot. Unfortunately, we're looking like we're heading towards Clash right now (or at least, there's no evidence suggesting we're not, while there is evidence of borrowing other things from Clash), haven, inferno, necropolis, Sylvan, Academy, which means no black dragons! It's possible it'd be Sylvan and Dungeon, I suppose, but I don't see dungeon (dark elves) being playable if the normal elves are not, so I don't think Academy/dungeon will happen.

I agree that we probably won't see Dungeon or Sylvan because I don't think they'd add one without the other (because of the whole elvish conflict thing). I fully expect to see Stronghold due to it being a fully fleshed MIGHT town. Which leaves a fully fleshed MAGIC town in my opinion. Academy is certainly an option there, or we might even see a new faction (or a reconfigured one of multiple towns combined into one). Definitely a "wait and find out" thing.

And I really doubt we'll see fortress or stronghold in core. The dwarves don't seem like the kind to participate in a war of five siblings, and while the orcs might, I'm not even sure they exist at this point, I seem to remember they're a rather young race, and they spent most of that time enslaved by the Empire, if I'm remembering my lore right.

I agree with you about the dwarves...but the game seems to cry out for a might town with the ones already revealed. In regards to the time line, firstly remember that this game is a prequel to H5. But also, just because a faction isn't included...doesn't mean it doesn't exist during that time-frame. These kingdoms are in different areas, so we could just as easily see them added later on in an expansion pack or such. My thought on the Stronghold being included is solely on the thought of balance for the game.

But there's still a lot of unknowns, including the possibility for new factions (naga for example) and maybe we'll see a lot of iconic monsters outside of towns, like the phoenix was before.

Now that's an option I'd love to see. I was quite disappointed when they didn't add a Naga-town in H5. All the hints were there for it, even the hidden artwork in the game code that some hackers dug out. That could certainly be the magic town I'm looking for. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Course, I'm wondering, if there's no dungeon or sylvan faction in core, will the necropolis's big bad be bone dragons still? Or would dragons exist solely out of towns at this point? Hopefully they won't be entirely gone, because I don't think everyone could handle a heroes game without dragons...

Good point. I know at one point we tossed around the idea of taking Dragons out of the game physically and only having them available through summoning spells or possibly only as neutral creatures. But on some level, I'm sure we'll see SOME dragons. But blackies....I'm highly doubtful.

OZTHEFIRST
10-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Gotta be dragons.

Full stop.

EBugle
10-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Yeah, the only reason I'm not sure about orcs is I remember they were created by the wizards, but I don't remember when. I don't -think- it was 5K+ years back, but I really don't remember.

Of course, there could be a stronghold composed of non-orcs, or something similar, but yeah, a pure might town (as well as pure magic town) is clearly missing... unless there are some drastic changes to one or more of the current factions we don't know about.

I think I agree with you, though, that going from previous games, stronghold and academy are best choices for the missing two factions, and hopefully the expansions will add more familiar (and unfamiliar!) factions as well.

(Also, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who calls them blackies on occasion)

nqox
10-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Secondary upgrades were the best thing in TOE. I still play TOE. But i wouldnt be playing it if there were only one upgrade. Because it is like having two different army types for every faction and that is huge. Now taking that big step back seems really like a bad joke.

Im happy to see few resource types. Will be much fun and more strategic as everyone will need the same thing and so will fight for it.

And i hope Dungeon will have its place in the game, my favourite faction. They are the most complete team players, that faction.

dchalfont
11-21-2010, 11:49 PM

Not needing top of the line hardware: Thank you. Our old clunkers thank you too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
question.

If you can't run it good turn off AA and run it on low/medium. There is no reason they should lower the standard of the higher settings just so a few can sleep better knowing they have the 'high' setting ticked which would otherwise look like the low setting on a game that scales upwards.

hampulina93
11-22-2010, 04:41 PM
For one of the new factions I hope we'll get fortress from heroes III, one of the tilesets is jungle after all.

smithey33
11-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by hampulina93:
For one of the new factions I hope we'll get fortress from heroes III, one of the tilesets is jungle after all.

Jesus ****in christ, will u guys give it a rest with fortress already, there wont be a fortress faction in the release, doubt it will be in an expension either, let me rephrase myself, Fortress is not in the game !!!! 2 more factions are left, one of which will be announced this week, one of which will be a new faction (unlike fortress which was already in homm 3) and the fifth faction is sylvan or academy... sorry for the bad news but come on, stop with the daydreaming already...

Jester64
12-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by smithey33:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hampulina93:

Jesus ****in christ, will u guys give it a rest with fortress already, there wont be a fortress faction in the release, doubt it will be in an expension either, let me rephrase myself, Fortress is not in the game !!!! 2 more factions are left, one of which will be announced this week, one of which will be a new faction (unlike fortress which was already in homm 3) and the fifth faction is sylvan or academy... sorry for the bad news but come on, stop with the daydreaming already... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you know it's Sylvan or Academy?

I would like to see Fortress come back in a future expansion. On that note, I also hope they put out 2 expansions, as is tradition.

SwampLord450
12-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by smithey33:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hampulina93:

Jesus ****in christ, will u guys give it a rest with fortress already, there wont be a fortress faction in the release, doubt it will be in an expension either, let me rephrase myself, Fortress is not in the game !!!! 2 more factions are left, one of which will be announced this week, one of which will be a new faction (unlike fortress which was already in homm 3) and the fifth faction is sylvan or academy... sorry for the bad news but come on, stop with the daydreaming already... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong.

The fourth faction is a returning faction, the fifth faction WAS NOT in Heroes V, it is confirmed to be new, and it is on a JUNGLE tileset with what appears to possibly be a mixture of an Aztec and Asian styling (extrapolated from architecture in a screenshot, I am not an insider in any capacity, nor do I have inside information). So it's actually quite possible that an adaptation or spiritual successor to HIII's Fortress could be in the game.

So kindly make sure you know all the facts before you flame people next time, okay? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

smithey33
12-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by SwampLord450:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smithey33:

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong.

The fourth faction is a returning faction, the fifth faction WAS NOT in Heroes V, it is confirmed to be new, and it is on a JUNGLE tileset with what appears to possibly be a mixture of an Aztec and Asian styling (extrapolated from architecture in a screenshot, I am not an insider in any capacity, nor do I have inside information). So it's actually quite possible that an adaptation or spiritual successor to HIII's Fortress could be in the game.

So kindly make sure you know all the facts before you flame people next time, okay? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm... did u not read what i wrote ? once again
1. 2 remaining factions
2. one of them will be a new faction to the homm franchise, hence it cant be fortress since fortress was in homm 3 which means it is not a NEW faction
3. the fifth faction will be academy or sylvan, thats what i understood and they are still not releasing the info coz they havent decided which one to use... the info should be available in the following few days... however with all the good will in the world, things arent looking good and i wouldnt be surprised if the game doesnt get released in march...
4. sorry about the fortress, but it isnt suppopsed to be in the game just like there wont be any dragons as the champion units nor an rmg, will there be some variation of fortress ? maybe, but it wont be fortress nor called fortress.... it is what it is, im not trying to be mean or smth im just trying to get the msg across coz when the news get out i dont feel like reading another 15 threads about "why didnt we get the fortress" thats all...

SwampLord450
12-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Misread it a bit, sorry, but "new" pretty clearly means "new to the rebooted franchise". Most of the towns from Heroes V channel towns from previous Heroes games quite strongly, but they aren't the same towns by any stretch of the means.

A town with, say, Gorgons, Basilisks and Serpent Flies would be very much so a spiritual successor to HIII Fortress whilst still being a new town to the rebooted series.

Tegethoff
12-16-2010, 07:51 AM
Getting rid of the secondary upgrades is good, but only halfway.

The upgrade system scratched in HoMM IV was one of the best decisions in the franchise.

I hated running around with unupgraded creatures taking up one of the precious 7 spaces for creatures. A ridiculous feature.

Ah well.

SwampLord450
12-17-2010, 01:03 AM
Wait, what about HIV's upgrade system? HIV had only four tiers of creatures, right?

Can't say I'd want that.

Navy_Spitfire
12-26-2010, 09:51 AM
I've browsed the forums a bit for some knowledge but just want to post to get real definitive answers, so I apologize in advance if my questions have been answered multiple times.

-No probability based choices?!? I dunno how much I like that idea. What made leveling up so interesting, so fun was having to make a hero from what you were given. I don't want to say don't do it because every player enjoys everything differently, but giving me the ability to choose the path my hero goes quite honestly sounds boring and bland. I liked randomness. Then again, maybe it will be awesome if I can put all my points into logistics right away.

-Are there still faction/hero specific abilities (Homm5 rangers could imbue arrows, etc..)? If there are the designers really have to spend some time making sure they are used and appealing.

-What exactly is the creature tier system about? Or is it just a title/way to distinguish the creatures?

-Heroes going to able to participate in battles like Homm5?

Elodin
12-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Navy_Spitfire:
-No probability based choices?!? I dunno how much I like that idea. What made leveling up so interesting, so fun was having to make a hero from what you were given.

I like having to pick from a couple of random skills on level up also. Randomization helps keep the game fresh.

I hope they give us more information about the skill trees and spells soon.

DragonHawk23
01-16-2011, 04:06 AM
Customizable heroes - Looking forward to it.

More variety in the combat arenas - Cool. Hope there will be other shapes than a rectangular too.

Initiative system. Back to H3 mechanics but with a H5-like INI bar interface. - The initiative system in H5 made the battle more dynamic and there was nothing random there except the starting turn where creatures got a 0-0.25 bonus to the atb value. I'm sorry to hear it's no longer there, I liked to see lighter and faster creature act more often than a tough and slow one.

New Creature Tier System - Interesting, waiting to see how it turns out.

Fixed camera angle - The horrors of 3D... I'm guessing this is harder for the oldest fans of heroes adapting to the newer age, but I didn't find it the least bothersome and there was an option to see objects behind buildings and other obstacles. I think they are doing this just to make their jobs easier so they can launch the thing faster, no complaints there, although I would like it reintroduced in the future and the fly by town screen too, that was cool.

No randomness in hero skills - Excellent. For those of you that have a problem with this toss a die, make it a d20 one.

Only 4 resources - Better they compensate with other exploring and capturing features not just remove them.

Waiting to see more released material...

gazdalale
02-22-2011, 04:51 AM
What about AI turns? Are they going to be longer like in Heroes V or shorter like in Heroes III?

mcgslo
02-22-2011, 07:28 AM
We can only hope that AI turn will be 5s or less per AI... i think this is one of the biggest issue of H5 so they better fix that.

murdoch2011
03-02-2011, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by evildiablo4:
Also as one of the original player and fan of the series starting from HOMMI, I would also like to suggest a few things that has been bothering me and a few other fans on Youtube when the trailer and details are launched.

One of the most important graphics flaw is the design for undead. The team seems as if they are still gonna use the same design from Heroes V which I think is no where as good compared to that of Heroes III, the classic Heroes game. The main problem with the undead design and graphics is that it looks way too much like Warcraft in many ways. Too much green is used on the design just like Warcraft and it makes it look like as if the undead came out of radioactive nuclear waste dumpsite. A suggestion from me is to use more grey and maybe dark blue instead, better eerie look. The looks of the Vampire and the lich also is a bit too much like Warcraft with the skinny guy floating in air with mist and the pale guy in armor with a nice sword much like the Lich King and the liches of warcraft. Could be better with some different design if Ubisoft team doesnt mind.

Having 6 resources is also something I think shouldnt be taken away. This characteristic was there in the series from the beginning. I realise the team is trying to create a new generation and all but only 4 resources will upset many fans. Having to collect 6 different resources isnt that much of a bother, and it wont make gameplay that horrible. I think the game can still sell with having to collect 2 more resources.

So if anybody in the development team reads this, please take this for consideration. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Agreed! my thoughts went straight to WOW seeing this. But for my part, I can remember I didn't like battle graphics in H5 either, but was that also due to the WOW-feel? I fired up H5 to find out what things I saw on the battlefield that just didn't seem right. I guess some part of my disliking towards H5 battles was due to the change to 3D modeling, as some units looked silly (especially horses) and hit animation was awkward. I thought it looked like WOW at the time, but that was problably just the 3D. Oh, speaking of hit animation, the adding of fancy coloured hit effects, it was just not Heroes in my eyes. This is a picture of a unit being hit by an arrow..
http://bildr.no/thumb/835059.jpeg (http://bildr.no/view/835059)
They should remove this in H6, it belongs in FF7 or warcraft or whatever. The only effects necessary are those that signals special events (luck, morale, special attacs)

I started playing H2 when I was a kid, loved H3, and also played H4 alot. They all had a realistic and natural feel to them. Cut out the overdone WOW style on some characters, and cut out wow-hit effects. Thanks!

Myriiel
03-02-2011, 04:48 AM
Hello people. This is my first hings about resources and graphics and other stuff has been posted, so i think there is no need for me to post something like that. However, since the team decided to reduce the number of resources, it also decided to change the colour. I would really like to see red crystals, not lue ones.Ty all.

Myriiel
03-02-2011, 04:52 AM
This is one post for those who beleive the game should me more "realistic". Isnt't the game's name "Might &Magic"? Or is it "Might &Real"?

murdoch2011
03-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Myriiel:
This is one post for those who beleive the game should me more "realistic". Isnt't the game's name "Might &Magic"? Or is it "Might &Real"?
Ok, then I haven't been clear enough. Of course magic isn't realistic in that sense, everybody knows that. But do you agree fiction still can be portrayed in a "realistic", not over-stylized way?

Hint: Lightning Bolt: OK (magic is accepted, and "realistic" in the HOMM universe)

Big yellow explosion-like effect when hit by an ordinary arrow is not so realistic. Its like adding text like "ZIING", "POW" and "BIFF" when hit.

The controversy starts however when saying, for example, vampires shouldn't have swords and green glowing eyes...
http://bildr.no/thumb/835088.jpeg (http://bildr.no/view/835088)

It boils down to what you are used to, really. People starting playing H5 doesnt seem to care so much. And I agree, it looks cool if it had been a wow-character or something. But I don't like that many units is drawn in this stylized cartoonish way, I really miss the classic looking units from previous Homm games. But again, maybe vampires dressed up in nuclear driven shredder costumes is an innovation for the series. Try adding anime faces next time! You will be big in Japan.

mcgslo
03-02-2011, 07:35 AM
I agree with murdoch2011.

And would prefer more realistic look than cartoon style colors.

And realistic in game descriptions usualy means if Magic would be real how would it look like... certanly not like cartoon Fluorescent Colors.

Asterisk
03-09-2011, 12:12 PM
It's a trend nowadays.

Hell = Black/Red

Undead = Black/Green

If you go left or right, your sales numbers will plummet.

Kartabon
03-10-2011, 05:30 AM
I partially agree with murdoch2011, I think that those kind of effects (glowing eyes and green-looking sword) are not appropiated for HoMM universe... I did like more the vampires (I won't talk about any other unit) in HoMM2 and HoMM3, even HoMM4, they looked more... "classic", "realistic" to say somehow. Green-glowing eyes aren't classic, and of course are far of being "realistic".

And that can be applied to any unit that goes far from the classic looking of any fantastic unit.

Asterisk
03-10-2011, 10:49 AM
All they need to do is to rename that unit. Something like Blood Knight or shiz like that.

H5forem
03-12-2011, 01:41 PM
What is the deal with Respecialize? (Reset all)

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/115/1151762/might-magic-heroes-vi-20110223054707203.jpg

Nxss
03-12-2011, 01:48 PM
That would be nice as trying to find one of those magic carpets do to it in H5 is usually a pain in the butt. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

dchalfont
03-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Respec is awesome, people shouldn't be punished for making bad experimental choices when levelling up.

Black Hole have really looked at each gameplay element from every angle.

Usually a game releases and there will be little things that people want still

Town conversion, respec and so on are all much needed changes. I hardly ever varied from the same talent pics because I knew that route and never bothered to change. I think respec will add a lot of replayability to the game because people can experience the game differently each time more easily.

H5forem
03-22-2011, 05:03 AM
Great, if the Estates skill still exist, and we can control the development, we will have a swarm of low level heroes, all with expert estates. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

- New Creature Tier System
How many will be each? From abilities perspective, I would say 2 Core (2 abilities), 4 Elite (3 abilities), 1 Champion (4 abilities)

- Initiative system
I just hope it won't be situations like in H3, when a Mass Haste made you hit with half of your army before the enemy could do anything. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Kartabon
03-22-2011, 02:53 PM
For each creature tier there will be 3-3-1 :P And about the rest... I can't say anything for sure :P

Nalafein
03-25-2011, 10:38 AM
I just hope that if there will be Mass effect of spells, that they would be more balanced.

Screenshot was nice.

The change to core, elite and champion units is also a good thing i presume

DrayneO
03-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Are you guys keeping hotseat? I probably wont buy if MMHVI doesnt have hotseat and just stick with MMHV

Nalafein
03-29-2011, 05:11 AM
i bet they will, isnt quite heroes without hotseat...

DrayneO
03-29-2011, 08:14 PM
yeah, i dont think i'd buy VI if it lacks hotseat. It'll ruin the all-night parties i do with friends periodically /just/ for Heroes

Shiroyasha_Ivor
04-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Don't be silly ofc it will have hot-seat.