PDA

View Full Version : Talesfromonline: Flying against unhappy Spit9 pilots

Jumoschwanz
05-27-2004, 07:54 AM
I was on a really cool, full real server last night. It had the speedbar and that was it.

The server was a limited planeset, predominantly SpitMk9s against 109g2, it was a 1943 and earlier server.

Some of the spit pilots were chatting about how they were not happy with the way the spit9 was modeled. Earlier I have said how I thought it's performance depended on the pilot. I have had spit9s fly circles around my 109G, and others in turn I have dominated. Clearly it is the pilot that is the factor. As for in WWII all I know is what I read in books like one called "Wing Commander" I think by Johnson, the highest scoring spit ace? I remember in this book of course it said the spit9 could outurn the 109s. I also have read the american Johnson's book on his thunderbolt, called "Thunderbolt" I believe. And I remember that once his razorback got a paddle blade prop he could outclimb the spit9 with ease. The spit9 in FB seems like it is a fantastic climber, faster than the german planes. And when an obviously competent pilot has been in it, I have not been able to stay on it's tail in a sustained level, maximum effort turn. It's level speed and diving seems in league with the average FB axis craft.

Surely the Mk9 and later Spitfires were some of the best all around fighters that came out of England in WWII. And I wonder if their reputation and hype is such that the online FB pilots were thinking that they were not going to have to know how to fly them well? A magic wand syndrome?
Well with every passing month there are more and more really good pilots online I notice. Many online pilots have been flying the 109s in the il2 series for approaching three years now. And of course a lot of them are awfully damned good. I know the Spit9 has definite strengths in certain areas over the 109 series. I have been dominated in my 109 by good pilots online using these strengths.
With the Spitfire series being one of the newest to the series, surely the pilots are still on a learning curve compared to some of the faithful La- and Yak and axis pilot's who have been flying these for years now? I know I sure don't know what the he11 I am doing in the majority of the planes in this sim. I don't even feel close to being the master of the 109series that I have almost exclusively flown for almost three years!
IF I have any success online it is not because of what I am flying or how good I am in the art of dogfighting with my plane; my success is because I have finally learned to use some of the tactics successful fighter pilots used since WWI. Stay high or fast, zoom and boom, use the sun, stay out of furballs unless you want to get shot down, examine a situation before you decide it is a good idea to engage, look around like a rabid monkey, think!
The only plane you can have that will ensure your success would be some kind of ufo. Using the right tactics you can shoot down a 109z with a biplane. I have done it.

Jumoschwanz

[This message was edited by Jumoschwanz on Thu May 27 2004 at 07:16 AM.]

Jumoschwanz
05-27-2004, 07:54 AM
I was on a really cool, full real server last night. It had the speedbar and that was it.

The server was a limited planeset, predominantly SpitMk9s against 109g2, it was a 1943 and earlier server.

Some of the spit pilots were chatting about how they were not happy with the way the spit9 was modeled. Earlier I have said how I thought it's performance depended on the pilot. I have had spit9s fly circles around my 109G, and others in turn I have dominated. Clearly it is the pilot that is the factor. As for in WWII all I know is what I read in books like one called "Wing Commander" I think by Johnson, the highest scoring spit ace? I remember in this book of course it said the spit9 could outurn the 109s. I also have read the american Johnson's book on his thunderbolt, called "Thunderbolt" I believe. And I remember that once his razorback got a paddle blade prop he could outclimb the spit9 with ease. The spit9 in FB seems like it is a fantastic climber, faster than the german planes. And when an obviously competent pilot has been in it, I have not been able to stay on it's tail in a sustained level, maximum effort turn. It's level speed and diving seems in league with the average FB axis craft.

Surely the Mk9 and later Spitfires were some of the best all around fighters that came out of England in WWII. And I wonder if their reputation and hype is such that the online FB pilots were thinking that they were not going to have to know how to fly them well? A magic wand syndrome?
Well with every passing month there are more and more really good pilots online I notice. Many online pilots have been flying the 109s in the il2 series for approaching three years now. And of course a lot of them are awfully damned good. I know the Spit9 has definite strengths in certain areas over the 109 series. I have been dominated in my 109 by good pilots online using these strengths.
With the Spitfire series being one of the newest to the series, surely the pilots are still on a learning curve compared to some of the faithful La- and Yak and axis pilot's who have been flying these for years now? I know I sure don't know what the he11 I am doing in the majority of the planes in this sim. I don't even feel close to being the master of the 109series that I have almost exclusively flown for almost three years!
IF I have any success online it is not because of what I am flying or how good I am in the art of dogfighting with my plane; my success is because I have finally learned to use some of the tactics successful fighter pilots used since WWI. Stay high or fast, zoom and boom, use the sun, stay out of furballs unless you want to get shot down, examine a situation before you decide it is a good idea to engage, look around like a rabid monkey, think!
The only plane you can have that will ensure your success would be some kind of ufo. Using the right tactics you can shoot down a 109z with a biplane. I have done it.

Jumoschwanz

[This message was edited by Jumoschwanz on Thu May 27 2004 at 07:16 AM.]

Zen--
05-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Nice observations and my compliments on a well written post.

S!

-Zen-

Slush69
05-27-2004, 08:00 AM
Excellent post!
Despite all the new planes I really only feel comfy in my 'firsts': The La-5FN and I-16.

cheers/slush

http://www.wilcks.dk/lort/Eurotrolls.gif

Longjocks
05-27-2004, 08:07 AM
It's my joystick, I swear! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

http://users.tpg.com.au/mpdeans/misc/midgesign2.gif "Thanks for the inspiration to rise above you all."

VW-IceFire
05-27-2004, 08:22 AM
My personal experience online in the servers that I play on is that the Spitfire IX is my personal best ride now. It used to be the FW190 and the P-51 that I was able to do the things I am doing now with the Spitfire IX (the Mark V just wasn't fast enough most of the time).

The Spitfire IX has speed, climb, firepower, manuverability, and a solid character...I know some are not sure about its turn rate but I never let the enemy get the chance...its turn rate is sufficient to pull lead on the evading target and blast it from the sky with well aimed cannon fire.

While I can usually down enemies (and be downed by others) in virtually all planes the IX fits me nicely as do a few of the other aircraft...depends on personal style I suppose. But my personal feeling is that the Spitfire IX is the best fighter for me to fly in the entire game.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

Bull-Dog.
05-27-2004, 08:39 AM
Having enjoyed flying the Spit V I was realy excited when the pathch gave us the Spit IX and have been flying it exclusivly since. I recently realised that I was not getting the kills I used to get on and off line, so as an experiment i went back to the Spit V. I was amazed at the difference,I was able to out fly and kill like never before. The question is, has my time with the later Spit (which IMO does not turn as good or is as stable as the Spit V)made me a better pilot or has the Spit V improved since the patch.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/bull_dog/images/4-picture.jpg?0.9775497653600231

SeaFireLIV
05-27-2004, 08:42 AM
All very true. A lot of people still still think because the Spit is such a legend that one should be able to just leap into it and fly it like a legend- NO. You still need to learn it to bring out the best (a bit like the I16).

A lot of these whines are just frustrated post-patch moans due to impatience. The Spits, as far as i can tell, are excellent creatures.

lil_labbit
05-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Good post - Good story http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Thanks

http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/lilseesya.jpg
Night is better than Day

geetarman
05-27-2004, 09:24 AM
IMHO a well flown 109 online gives me more pause than a well flown MkIX. Nonetheless, the Spit is a great aircraft.